Sometimes a loss can be a win.

socalkdg

PREMIER
1-1 with about 5 minutes to go. Our girl gets beat in the corner, their player sends a shot/pass towards my daughter, she goes to field it, but one of their players cuts in, beating our defender who is on the wrong side of her, and just gets a foot on the ball getting it just in side the post, we lose 2-1.

Daughter should have charged the ball, with just a couple steps forward being the difference. She has been told by her keeper coach to do this, but it had never bit her in the butt until Sunday. First thing she told the coaches after the game was that the goal was her fault and that she shouldn't have waited for it. Hopefully this will lead to improvement in the future. Sometimes you have to fail to improve.

1-1 with about 5 minutes to go. Our girl gets beat in the corner, their player sends a shot/pass towards my daughter, she goes to field it, but one of their players cuts in, beating our defender who is on the wrong side of her, and just gets a foot on the ball getting it just in side the post, we lose 2-1.

Daughter should have charged the ball, with just a couple steps forward being the difference. She has been told by her keeper coach to do this, but it had never bit her in the butt until Sunday. First thing she told the coaches after the game was that the goal was her fault and that she shouldn't have waited for it. Hopefully this will lead to improvement in the future. Sometimes you have to fail to improve.
Dejavu, my DD had a similar experience when guesting up a year with the 05s. She knew it right away, she should have blown up her own defender if need be, instead of letting a player cut in on a play that was hers to make. She said afterwards it was a communication breakdown because she wasn't familiar with the players and their tendencies and conceded to the defender making the play, but had it been her 06 team she would have taken the play.

She learned that it's her play to make regardless of what team she's playing on and needs to let her defender know that even though it's a bang-bang play.

One of the things we've always stressed to her as a keeper is that there will be plenty of lessons learned and she has to walk away from the losses a smarter player because at her age, there's always a "next time".

Mine just started seriously studying the defense of the cross/corner (up until now it's been about getting down that high catch). He's getting corrected at a lot because on the lower flying shots he's waiting for the ball instead of attacking it. Even when he finally gets it in practice, I'm sure in the game he's going to forget to do it. Sometimes the only real way to learn is to get bitten. For keepers learning to be proactive v. reactive is very hard...the entire position is centered around not making a mistake and judging the tradeoff (take a small risk to avoid a bigger one) is a very hard lesson to learn.

My example was during my son's first year of keeping club. In a tournament the score was tied 5-5. He had been struggling the spring season (it was just SOOO different than Extras), his confidence was shaken but he was having a good game and most of the goals (including an own goal) were not his fault (the team wasn't responding well in the last game of the tournament, mid day in 100 degree heat, against a team they'd routed several times before). Club trainer had been pounding into him for several weeks not to let it bounce in his box. They went over and over it. Final 5 minutes and an opposing mid takes a huge hail mary shot into the sky from the half. No way it directly makes it into the goal at that age but my son sits on his arc, it bounces at the top of the PK area, he realizes he needs to come out and get it but it bounces right over him and into the goal. Of course he gets the blame for the loss and people were surprisingly (well...as I said...I was naive about things) harsh. He never let it bounce again, and in the fall faced the same situation twice, rushing out and catching it both times.

Good reads...I agree that sometimes they need to get burned before they learn. I like the fact that they are talking about the plays and what they should have done. It means it is all up there and they just have to put it together. Most importantly it shows they care and want to play and develop/improve. It is a big commitment getting the kiddos to extra training, etc. for what is required. Glad to hear the kids are getting it. That makes it all worth it IMHO.

The challenging part about the position for the kids, are that their mistakes are magnified, and the further away from your goal the more leeway players get.

A forward misses an open net, “good try, you’ll get it next time.”, a keeper takes a bad angle, or mis-judges and it is “what we’re thinking/doing?...usually muttered very quietly.

The kids will all make mistake, it is good to hear that they are interested in learning from them.

We are lucky we have a dad who videos about 90% of the games with a Hi-Fi camera on an extension (not sure if correct term). We also have a GoPro positioned behind the goal...she asked for it last Christmas. One of the older girls in the club has one and that was her big present this past year. Our DD gets a chance to watch tape of her plays, good and bad. It has been a good learning tool for her. It is amazing what you see from the tape. I personally think a film session on occasion would be good for the team as a whole.

She looks forward to watching the vids. At Manchester City a couple of weeks ago she made some really good plays in the first half and we went to watch. Unfortunately, a player between games walked into the tri-pod and put it out of position. Anyway, spent Sunday making a stake stand, so I can stake the GoPro in the ground to prevent this in the future.

My example was during my son's first year of keeping club. In a tournament the score was tied 5-5. He had been struggling the spring season (it was just SOOO different than Extras), his confidence was shaken but he was having a good game and most of the goals (including an own goal) were not his fault (the team wasn't responding well in the last game of the tournament, mid day in 100 degree heat, against a team they'd routed several times before). Club trainer had been pounding into him for several weeks not to let it bounce in his box. They went over and over it. Final 5 minutes and an opposing mid takes a huge hail mary shot into the sky from the half. No way it directly makes it into the goal at that age but my son sits on his arc, it bounces at the top of the PK area, he realizes he needs to come out and get it but it bounces right over him and into the goal. Of course he gets the blame for the loss and people were surprisingly (well...as I said...I was naive about things) harsh. He never let it bounce again, and in the fall faced the same situation twice, rushing out and catching it both times.

Not sure I could keep my kid on a team that didn't appreciate what she does. Many of the parents played and understand how hard goal keeping is and they are always positive with her and our family, which makes playing on the team fun. Give up three goals in a game, they talk about how easy we could have lost 7-1. Make a great save and you hear all the parents cheer her on.

I sometimes video from the sideline on a tripod about 6 ft tall. Everyone expects it to be knocked down at least once per game as it always seems to happen. Have some great video of the ball hitting it. A new one happened this past weekend. Sunday someones eazy-up blows over and knocks it down. Yep, tradition continues.

Funny about the leeway field players get when you compare it to a keeper. Always a tough decision is to decide when to come off the line for a rolling ball that they have to decide if they can get if before the opposing team gets it. She hesitated recently and got called on it, but every player on our team seems to watch a ball go over their head before they start running to where it will land, nothing said.

Not sure I could keep my kid on a team that didn't appreciate what she does. M.

My niece's team last year was the worst to their keeper. Fast break by a fast team broken into the opposing half. Keeper waits, wanting to time the one v one run to hit the top of the PK box (right choice...impressive for an 8 year old). The right winger launches it beyond the build out line before the keeper begins the run...high in and just under the bar. The keeper jumps up high, actually gets to it and slaps it down to the ground, but stumbles slightly (too young to know how to tip and ball was coming too hard to high catch it). The left winger (in an offside position) has continued the run and when the keeper knocks it down and stumbles, gets to the ball and toe pokes it in under the keeper. No offside call. Keeper's sideline goes crazy (not at the ref for blowing the call) but at the keeper for not grabbing it (even though she just had a spectacular save and her team was no where to been seen to help with the rebound). One of the players goes up to her when taking it out of the net and tells her "you have to get those". Coach is really great (one of the few who really believes in building out the back) and asks if she wants to be taken out, but the girl shakes her head. Keeper with character. She was the first to leave the team, and not because of the coach, but because of the other players and families.

Mine just started seriously studying the defense of the cross/corner (up until now it's been about getting down that high catch). He's getting corrected at a lot because on the lower flying shots he's waiting for the ball instead of attacking it. Even when he finally gets it in practice, I'm sure in the game he's going to forget to do it. Sometimes the only real way to learn is to get bitten. For keepers learning to be proactive v. reactive is very hard...the entire position is centered around not making a mistake and judging the tradeoff (take a small risk to avoid a bigger one) is a very hard lesson to learn.

Great story...just happened to my daughter this weekend. Fortunately that didn't cost the game though. Fortunately my daughter has never had any parents say anything to her. She did have a teammate say something and that did nothing to help her. She had one coach that was over the top with criticism on more than one occasion. Kind of funny when they do that to a Keeper because if the Keeper is half way decent, they can usually tell you exactly what mistakes they made in the game even the ones they save they know what mistakes they made. I think they pound on themselves enough without everyone else doing it too.

The poor Keeper from Liverpool who was getting death threats. Now that is just crazy. Especially the fact it turns out he had a concussion.

The poor Keeper from Liverpool who was getting death threats. Now that is just crazy. Especially the fact it turns out he had a concussion.

Liverpool keeper is far from poor and at the highest level of the game where a lot of money at stake, that's exactly what happens. He had a concussion with no symptoms? Normally player who is not feeling well or himself, would go to a team doctor and ask him for evaluation. He didn't and it end up costing his team a game. You need to understand that playing for Liverpool or any other big name club is not just a game anymore, it's a lot bigger than that. And, yes, supporters hold their players accountable, which you don't see here in US.
To be honest, I will be surprised if I ever see him again in Liverpool line-up.

Liverpool keeper is far from poor and at the highest level of the game where a lot of money at stake, that's exactly what happens. He had a concussion with no symptoms? Normally player who is not feeling well or himself, would go to a team doctor and ask him for evaluation. He didn't and it end up costing his team a game. You need to understand that playing for Liverpool or any other big name club is not just a game anymore, it's a lot bigger than that. And, yes, supporters hold their players accountable, which you don't see here in US.
To be honest, I will be surprised if I ever see him again in Liverpool line-up.
The only reason why I believed the concussion assertion was because of the type of errors he made with 2 of those goals. The one obvious one was something my 11 year old would do but not someone at his level. The other one... it was as if he was panicked. I put it in slow motion and was shocked to see his hands were in fist position and in the last seconds he opened them. Another error I haven't seen at this level but I don't watch this level often. I felt bad for the guy!

Did you see Jane Campbell vs. Mexico? On a corner she ends up backing up all the way into her net as the corner goes in on the fly. Easily one of the worst plays I've ever seen.

Did you see Jane Campbell vs. Mexico? On a corner she ends up backing up all the way into her net as the corner goes in on the fly. Easily one of the worst plays I've ever seen.
Yeah I did see that one. I even rewound the game because I thought what I saw was wrong. I am sure she beat herself up real good for that one.

She seemed to be having problems with the opposing player put there to block her (also on the next corner). Haven't followed her that closely...does she have a lot of experience dealing with a pusher or has she usually had another player act as screener? This is one of those things that's really hard to train for (because even in a practice with a team or other GKs, they won't push as vigorously as an opponent during the game). Only the game really teaches it. Having the GK deal with it and not a screener is another one of those things that coaches "should" do from the earlier (like keepers doing their own walls, goalkicks, and building from the back) ages to help them learn but sometimes drop in pursuit of the win (just have the big CB act as a screener to give the GK a clear view).

Back