Some things never change

So I'm sitter here watching my kids practice, and the coach of the 8U team next to us has been making his team practice headers by pounding balls into the box and having them head them at full speed.....zero technique! Just yelling at them to get on it...I know for certain at least 5 have headaches because they keep grabbing their heads and 1 kid is really hurting.

Coaches who are not at the level of the kids - it's sad. I'd report the guy to the club directors if you can find a way to do it discreetly. As a former manager, directors do listen.

If I remember correctly, the new rules don't allow heading below U11. I may be mistaken, but if I'm correct, this drill seems even more rediculous.

That was exactly my point! Why even do this at that age, they are not allowed to do this in games for another 4 years!! And to be rocketing balls in like the kids are 14 or older, to me, it's borderline abusive. I know that used to be the norm, but my philosophy has changed with the times as so much information has come to us about the seriousness of head trauma. There are better ways to teach technique and skill in heading.

For $2,000 a year you can have a European ex-soccer pro abuse your 2nd grader too. But his team's win games!!!!

I agree that the described coaching behavior is grossly irresponsible, especially this day and age. However, has anything been officially adopted? The only official things I've seen that would control coaching activities as described are through AYSO, although I wouldn't necessarily have seen anything else, since I'm not a coach, DOC, manager or anything but a Grade 8 referee. Thus far I have been told that nothing is official. Like many others, I am convinced that these policies are the right thing to do, but for a coach to actually be doing something wrong, not just be "old school", there need to be adopted guidelines in his/her jurisdiction.

I'd be interested to learn what the official policies are for Cal-South sanctioned leagues and clubs as of today, and what they will be this season. I was out of town and missed my most recent referee association meeting, where all the new guidelines and law changes are being discussed.

The AYSO policy, which has been adopted and is controlling of all AYSO leagues, players and volunteers, states (if I recall correctly):
  • U11 and lower there is to be no intentional heading of the ball in games and none in practice (U12 if age groups are combined).
  • U12 to U14 may head the ball in games and it is limited to 30 minutes weekly in practice.
  • U15 and up there are no restrictions.

I'm not sure what the Cal-South, Coast, SCDSL official policy is on this yet. As stated above, AYSO has put the US Soccer "recommendations" in place.

However - For an 8 year old to practice heading crosses, that might be the biggest waste of a training session aside from spending an hour working on corner kick plays.
Sure, teach them proper technique in case ball happens to bounce up near their head. That should take about 10 minutes and a fun game like "Head it / Catch It" can teach it.
First - How many kids are able to loft a perfect cross into the box?
Second - How many kids are going to be in the right place to get a head onto that cross.
If the stars and the moon align, this MIGHT happen once a season.
Can these kids dribble through a defender 1v1 or 1v2? Can they execute a variety of turns and feints at speed and under pressure? Are they able to trap a ball using either foot, thigh or chest? Can they hit a volley or half volley shot? Do they know how to execute a wall pass? Do they know what an overlapping run look like?
And then there's simple tactical things that 8 year olds should be introduced too - Pressure, Cover (and balance, but playing 7v7, there isn't always a 3rd defender near the ball). Are they playing balls backwards once in a while or is everything smashed forward?

So I'm sitter here watching my kids practice, and the coach of the 8U team next to us has been making his team practice headers by pounding balls into the box and having them head them at full speed.....zero technique! Just yelling at them to get on it...I know for certain at least 5 have headaches because they keep grabbing their heads and 1 kid is really hurting.
At this age youth players should be working on basic skills and footwork. As well as some simple tactical aspects of the game.

Wow...some really thought out and fantastic replies! Thank you. I wonder how many clubs are creating their own guidelines to protect our young players and adhere to the suggested practices of US youth soccer.

Just a contrarian view on this.

This past weekend, my son was at an ID camp back east and the HC really liked him, especially his heading abilities. My son is a forward, 5'-10", and often goes up against 6-2"+ defenders and still wins headers.

My son attributes his heading ability to his U9 coach who taught him how to use all parts of his head to direct the ball using his head. He continued to work on heading the ball ever since then. At an ID camp, he had 5 goals in 3 games, 2 shooting right, 2 shooting left and 1 header.

The point is before you dismiss its too early, or that they should not too early, its a part of the game and have learn how to effectively use the head to perform maneuvers and shots. Just as foot skills, heading is a skill and needs training.

As for noticing kids with headaches and improper header training - absolutely report it. It can be dangerous to the kids as we all know.

Lets not throw the baby out with the bath water... that's all I'm saying.

Back