Soccer IQ - How do you get it?

watch high school or college soccer. Yes they are good but make more mistakes. the announcers on tv will comment on the right play that should have happened.
you cannot make them watch they have to do it on their own or else it is a chore and nothing will sink in.

DYS team decided to recreate the USMNT own goal in a game this weekend almost blow by blow including the Howard fall backwards...sometimes watching soccer I guess can contribute to negative soccer IQ.:oops:

3 rules -
1. Play
2. Play
3. Play
This is half the answer. Nobody is born with soccer IQ. It comes over time with a lot of playing (games preferably) AND with a lot of coaching. And I'm not talking about just getting coached at 2-3 practices and 1 game a week. But by talking and watching the game with your kid on a frequent basis. I never realized how many small nuances there are to the game until my kids started playing and watched as they soaked up soccer tips like a sponge.

She has 3 different coaches that she has used, with similar teachings. Her IQ isn't the one I'm really worried about. It is the rest of the team. I worry that just like some kids are book smart but not street smart, the same thing could apply to soccer.
SKD sometimes you have to worry about the coach's IQ also...

I'm a firm believer than Soccer IQ is something that you either have it or you don't. It's impossible to teach or obtain. Don't get me wrong, most players will get better with age, but it has to do more with maturity than an IQ. There is only few players in the world who has very high Soccer IQ. The rest is average to bellow average.

I'm a firm believer than Soccer IQ is something that you either have it or you don't. It's impossible to teach or obtain. Don't get me wrong, most players will get better with age, but it has to do more with maturity than an IQ. There is only few players in the world who has very high Soccer IQ. The rest is average to bellow average.

Disagree with this statement completely. The only true part is perhaps the player's instinct but not about acquiring tactical knowledge of the game as a player.

Specific steps:
1. Wear a track suit consistently. Preferably Adidas.
2. Speak with an accent. If you don't have one, just try your best to simulate one.
3. Never say "practice"; always use the word "training".

With just these three simple steps, anyone will have accumulated enough "soccer IQ" to coach a club team and clearly enough to be a mere player.

Specific steps:
1. Wear a track suit consistently. Preferably Adidas.
2. Speak with an accent. If you don't have one, just try your best to simulate one.
3. Never say "practice"; always use the word "training".

With just these three simple steps, anyone will have accumulated enough "soccer IQ" to coach a club team and clearly enough to be a mere player.

Those aren't the steps for soccer IQ. Those are the steps for a coach to get a raise and a line of parents paying for private training.

Back