Soccer gave away the golden goose to other sports at high school

Blam, you get "Best Original Post" award for 2021. Soccer is the Sport that the world loves and is free to play in most parts of the world. I believe soccer will help heal the planet :)

This has to be one of the best threads in the last 4 years. I’ve been here for a minute.
HS Soccer can be an outlet for the kids to take a break and have some fun for the school and community. Maybe they get a chance to play with friends that they haven’t had that opportunity with. The kids all have choices. If they think it’s terrible “don’t play”. It’s that simple. It’s their choice. If it’s yours than you already failed. Bottom line is there are plenty of D1 players out there playing in HS right now in So Cal.
I’be seen plenty of ECNL & GA kids out there that already are committed. Why would they continue playing you ask? To each his own and let the kids do what they want. If you don’t allow for it they will play for the wrong reasons. Love the game our kids play & most of all let them enjoy it.

& I forgot what that AssHoles name was on this forum that said my kid(s) would never wear another jersey I would have to pay for. You were wrong. This just shows you the quality of people on here looking for advice, or better yet, trying to give it.
You pretty much nailed it. The quality of play is subpar, but my kids aren’t playing for the competition or “trophies”, but the opportunity to share the field for the first time in their “careers”.

There are definitely schools that take pride in their Girls Soccer programs and it shows, but sadly those are in the minority (unfortunately).

For our area, HS is not about developing as a better soccer player, but more about the community experience and there Is nothing wrong with that.

You pretty much nailed it. The quality of play is subpar, but my kids aren’t playing for the competition or “trophies”, but the opportunity to share the field for the first time in their “careers”.

There are definitely schools that take pride in their Girls Soccer programs and it shows, but sadly those are in the minority (unfortunately).

For our area, HS is not about developing as a better soccer player, but more about the community experience and there Is nothing wrong with that.
Now your talking like a champ, if your the original Kicker. Subpar is way better then awful......lol. My dd U6 AYSO league champs trophy is still on our shelf and it was the first of many championships for my dd in youth soccer.

This site is full of elitist ECNL parents that crap on everything that’s not related to their “high level soccer” world. I have news for you all, what are you going to do when your kid is done playing sports? Let them play high school soccer and enjoy it. Who gives a crap about the quality. I know more kids that didn’t make it to ECNL but have their life together once they graduate college. All those trophies mean nothing once they apply to a real job. I have several nephews/nieces that were star athletes and cannot adjust once their athletic careers are over.

Enjoy that high school soccer game because you don’t have too many years left before your kid is no longer playing soccer

The problem here isn't "elitist ECNL parents". In fact I am not aware of anyone at this forum either currently or in the past - with the exception of simisoccerfan - who has ever claimed they were too good for HS soccer. I don't think anyone in this thread has recommended kids shouldn't play HS soccer, they have only pointed out that the quality of play is terrible and that it is hard to watch, and that is a fact. Even then, they only did so because they were trying to explain why hardly anyone ever watches a boys HS soccer game. Recognizing that a HS sport is hard to watch and the quality of play is low is very different than "crapping on everything that's not related to their 'high level of soccer' world."

The irony of all of this is that the only elitist folks in this thread are those who are complaining that other people aren't doing what they want, namely not playing or watching HS soccer either because they prefer football or just don't want to play a low level soccer. In fact, this entire thread was premised on HS soccer people upset that their sport is better than football so football but doesn't get the same respect, and wanting to control others by making them play it when they don't want to. And you don't even realize it, but you're the elitist in that you're concocting a group of non-existent "elitist ECNL parents" who don't even exist at this forum who are allegedly trying to subvert HS soccer when not a single person here has done anything of the sort - other than simisoccerfan years ago. In fact, I suspect even those who recognize the obvious - that HS soccer is really hard to watch - know that because their kids actually played it and they supported their kids in doing so. I certainly do.

The self-pity and lack of self-awareness of soccer people is really off the hook. All of you need to stop whining that people should watch HS boys soccer instead of football because soccer is better, when it clearly is not. People aren't watching HS football and basketball instead of HS soccer due to some nefarious plot or because American culture is anti-soccer. No, they do it because HS football and basketball are a lot more fun to watch than HS soccer, boys at least. And also stop labeling people "elitist ECNL parents" simply because they decided on a different path for their kid than yours. You don't see them trying to dictate what your kid does, you and others here who are whining about HS football and kids who elect to forego HS soccer are the only ones trying to tell others what are best for their kids.

The problem here isn't "elitist ECNL parents".

On this site over the past 6 years, Ive heard the following from ECNL parents:

- High School Soccer is trash
- ODP is a joke
- GAL is not good
- MLS Next for boys is not better than ECNL
- College Soccer is trash
- ECRL is better than GAL
- Forget about Discovery level or Flight 1
- SoCal has the best teams and players and why do we have to play teams outside of this state.

All good, good luck with your player this year.

I have news for you all, what are you going to do when your kid is done playing sports? Let them play high school soccer and enjoy it. Who gives a crap about the quality. I know more kids that didn’t make it to ECNL but have their life together once they graduate college. All those trophies mean nothing once they apply to a real job.

Wait, my kid's not going to go pro and play for Barca by 16?

/s

Soccer needs to be a fall sport or a spring sport. We need to bring on the marching bands, the cheerleaders and the crowds to the games. There needs to be more pom pom.

I'm not going to read all the replies, but since this completely veered off course I'll do my small part to swing it back slightly.

I think there are a few challenges. one is field space. Many schools just don't have a lot of field space to allow teams to practice or play games. so you have to squeeze it in when you can, primarily after football, before lacrosse, before baseball. My kid's team would walk a block to a nearby elementary school on some days just so all 3 teams could have field space.

For crowd sizes, yes the 'event' of football doesn't translate well to soccer, and doesn't have a tradition of pep bands like football does. Maybe you could get a band director to show up? but they're burnt from marching season by the time football is over and they want a break too (source: 1 kid was in band, the other played soccer). A large chunk of HS football crowd is family and friends. A soccer roster is just so much smaller, so even when the parents show up it's 30 maybe 40 people per side. Football is what 40 person roster?

For my kid's high school soccer the problem was really kickoff time. even varsity many times would play at 3pm, 4pm. One game per season against the cross town rival would be a night game.

But as you said, it would go a long way if the boys would attend the girl's games, and vice versa. Same goes for any activity. I remember one year at my kid's school the football coach gave off-season football players extra credit for attending an orchestra concert. Band supports them all season, it was only fair he said that they show up for one show.

I think a small part of it, at least in southern california, we are not generally a culture that supports lower league teams. USL, NISA, ECHL, WCHL, whatever else you want to name. Attendance is low at those events. High School soccer viewing is not a much different mindset.

Could it change? yes. but it would take a lot of lift from activity directors, ADs, opposite-gender coaches, the entire student body. Games are not always held in stadiums so that presents it's own problems.

As participation in football wanes, it is in teams' and schools' best interest to find other activities to raise student body engagement.

I'm not going to read all the replies, but since this completely veered off course I'll do my small part to swing it back slightly.

I think there are a few challenges. one is field space. Many schools just don't have a lot of field space to allow teams to practice or play games. so you have to squeeze it in when you can, primarily after football, before lacrosse, before baseball. My kid's team would walk a block to a nearby elementary school on some days just so all 3 teams could have field space.

For crowd sizes, yes the 'event' of football doesn't translate well to soccer, and doesn't have a tradition of pep bands like football does. Maybe you could get a band director to show up? but they're burnt from marching season by the time football is over and they want a break too (source: 1 kid was in band, the other played soccer). A large chunk of HS football crowd is family and friends. A soccer roster is just so much smaller, so even when the parents show up it's 30 maybe 40 people per side. Football is what 40 person roster?

For my kid's high school soccer the problem was really kickoff time. even varsity many times would play at 3pm, 4pm. One game per season against the cross town rival would be a night game.

But as you said, it would go a long way if the boys would attend the girl's games, and vice versa. Same goes for any activity. I remember one year at my kid's school the football coach gave off-season football players extra credit for attending an orchestra concert. Band supports them all season, it was only fair he said that they show up for one show.

I think a small part of it, at least in southern california, we are not generally a culture that supports lower league teams. USL, NISA, ECHL, WCHL, whatever else you want to name. Attendance is low at those events. High School soccer viewing is not a much different mindset.

Could it change? yes. but it would take a lot of lift from activity directors, ADs, opposite-gender coaches, the entire student body. Games are not always held in stadiums so that presents it's own problems.

As participation in football wanes, it is in teams' and schools' best interest to find other activities to raise student body engagement.
Excellent points. I say soccer should be in the Spring and keep it to JV and Varsity only for most schools. Soccer in the Winter cold sucks!!!

Wait, my kid's not going to go pro and play for Barca by 16?

/s

I had a friend who thought his kid from an upper income neighborhood was going to be an amazing basketball player when he was just starting high school. This kid was one of the best players in the valley in middle school. The club team decided to play a tournament in Compton and my friend realized that his son's NBA career prospects were over once he played against the inner city kids that were all over 6 feet at just a young age of 13.

I had a friend who thought his kid from an upper income neighborhood was going to be an amazing basketball player when he was just starting high school. This kid was one of the best players in the valley in middle school. The club team decided to play a tournament in Compton and my friend realized that his son's NBA career prospects were over once he played against the inner city kids that were all over 6 feet at just a young age of 13.
Hahahaha. This was so me back in the day at the LB Boys & Girls Club before I got to HS and wondered outside of my OC protected bubble. Not upper income, just dreamed it. Fast forward to freshman year of HS Hoops season. I worked hard and busted my ass and dove for anything. I took charges and was just a pest for the big guys. The Varsity coach at the time appreciated my my hard work and invited me to play with the Varsity at The LBHS Christmas Classic. At this stage in my ego, I was 100% going to UCLA and then be drafted by the Lakers. It was all planned in my head and my adopted mommy & daddy told me I can do whatever I so desire. Our first game happen to be the Long Beach Poly Jack Rabbits. I got in the game towards the end of the mismatch but saw plenty from the front row bench that I was NEVER going to play for UCLA or the Lakers. My dream was over. I decided to go for Pro baseball player but Capo's pitchers told me I sucked because I couldn't hit the curve ball. I was honest with myself :)

Hahahaha. This was so me back in the day at the LB Boys & Girls Club before I got to HS and wondered outside of my OC protected bubble. Not upper income, just dreamed it. Fast forward to freshman year of HS Hoops season. I worked hard and busted my ass and dove for anything. I took charges and was just a pest for the big guys. The Varsity coach at the time appreciated my my hard work and invited me to play with the Varsity at The LBHS Christmas Classic. At this stage in my ego, I was 100% going to UCLA and then be drafted by the Lakers. It was all planned in my head and my adopted mommy & daddy told me I can do whatever I so desire. Our first game happen to be the Long Beach Poly Jack Rabbits. I got in the game towards the end of the mismatch but saw plenty from the front row bench that I was NEVER going to play for UCLA or the Lakers. My dream was over. I decided to go for Pro baseball player but Capo's pitchers told me I sucked because I couldn't hit the curve ball. I was honest with myself :)
I had a similar experience in Lacrosse. Played HS then Club in collage. My younger brother was 6'6" and was able to convert that into a spot on the University of Denver Lacrosse team (In the soccer world this would be equivalent to UCLA). He invited me down to hang out + the guys on the team said to bring my equipment for a session.

All I can say was OMG were these guys good. Everyone was as big as me even the "short" fast guys and all the Defenders were 3-6" taller. The speed that they played was incredible. It felt like for every step I took they had taken 2. Different trick shots, etc that I could hit 1 out of every 6x they hit consistently every time.

Every player needs to go through this type of experience once to set their expectations to what playing at the highest levels is really like. Once you see it things become much more clear.

I keep reading about how awful high school soccer is. On the girls side in San Diego last year, I watched a CIF Open Championship game that had at least 10 girls that are currently or will be playing D1 soccer year. Every girl starting on both TP and LCC was good enough to start for any D3 school in the US. Yes, many of the high school teams play over the top, long ball soccer as opposed to their ECNL/GAL/SoCal Champions League teams but I've watched plenty of decent D1 schools that play the exact same style. Does it make it less enjoyable to watch? Absolutely not. In fact I'd much rather watch that type of play with kids that I've known since elementary school than watching our cut-throat club team where girls are driving in from all over San Diego and Orange County and I hardly get to know their names before they are off to the next shiny penny. Just one dad's opinion.

I keep reading about how awful high school soccer is. On the girls side in San Diego last year, I watched a CIF Open Championship game that had at least 10 girls that are currently or will be playing D1 soccer year. Every girl starting on both TP and LCC was good enough to start for any D3 school in the US. Yes, many of the high school teams play over the top, long ball soccer as opposed to their ECNL/GAL/SoCal Champions League teams but I've watched plenty of decent D1 schools that play the exact same style. Does it make it less enjoyable to watch? Absolutely not. In fact I'd much rather watch that type of play with kids that I've known since elementary school than watching our cut-throat club team where girls are driving in from all over San Diego and Orange County and I hardly get to know their names before they are off to the next shiny penny. Just one dad's opinion.

I enjoy watching HS soccer, even this year that my twins are rehabbing ACL tears. Why? For the reasons you articulate. I enjoyed watching their older sister play ECNL, play HS and now play college. And I also enjoyed watching all my kids play back in the micro days.

Look, I'm someone who will go watch my friends' and family members' kids play really low level sports (guy I worked with has a kid playing t-ball? What time is the game? Woman I went college with has a kid lacing up the skates? When does the puck drop? Soccer teammate of my twins is playing a club lacrosse game down the street? I'm there!). It's all about expectations. I don't expect La Liga, just as I don't expect French Laundry if I go to Chili's. But I can still find enjoyment at whatever level (cold beer, a good game on the TV and some chili fries . . . sounds good to me).

Boom!!

I enjoy watching HS soccer, even this year that my twins are rehabbing ACL tears. Why? For the reasons you articulate. I enjoyed watching their older sister play ECNL, play HS and now play college. And I also enjoyed watching all my kids play back in the micro days.

Look, I'm someone who will go watch my friends' and family members' kids play really low level sports (guy I worked with has a kid playing t-ball? What time is the game? Woman I went college with has a kid lacing up the skates? When does the puck drop? Soccer teammate of my twins is playing a club lacrosse game down the street? I'm there!). It's all about expectations. I don't expect La Liga, just as I don't expect French Laundry if I go to Chili's. But I can still find enjoyment at whatever level (cold beer, a good game on the TV and some chili fries . . . sounds good to me).
My ex HSS hoops teammate never left our city and goes to soccer games, basketball games and baseball games. He walks over from his crib and just loves to cheer on the local home team. I saw at our last game. I can;t imagine him saying to me, "Hey bro, this is awful soccer I'm leaving." No way he would ever do that.

Right on point. What do expect when you put 15-20 players together for two weeks of practice versus a club team that trains all year or years? Easy solution, ball over the top, run it down and shoot the ball. I would never expect "club style" buildouts in this scenario. Good Team!

Right on point. What do expect when you put 15-20 players together for two weeks of practice versus a club team that trains all year or years? Easy solution, ball over the top, run it down and shoot the ball. I would never expect "club style" buildouts in this scenario. Good Team!
Agree!
Compare Chelsea fc vs Liverpool this past weekend to one of the copa America games between Argentina and Colombia or Brazil va Uruguay. The quality of play is not great compared to the professional club teams. At least this is the case in the first few games of any international tournament. The lack of training as a unit makes it difficult to match club level soccer.

As long as the NFL, NBA, and MLB exist soccer will never get the priority at the youth level. Too much money, power and politics involved. Women's sports generally get a small fraction of viewership that even mediocre men's sports get. On the boy's soccer side youth soccer in SoCal is dominated by Hispanic players and their supporters just don't have the political power yet that they should have to demand equal access to facilities that other sports enjoy. I wish it was different but though soccer is making slow progress I don't envision soccer being a top HS sport anytime soon with cheerleaders and playing in a warmer season.

Back