Soccer coach name etiquette

OCsoccerdad7777

SILVER ELITE
Curious on how a parent calls a coach's name.
Example: coach name is David Beckham
Kid usually will say Coach David

Are parents supposed to say the same? I've typically just heard people say just first name.

Is there a difference in the way you address a coach's name in olders, DA, HS, College, etc?

Do some coaches get butt hurt if you dont call them coach? Just curious because I just call them by first name.

One of my kids' coaches was active in our club when I was on the BOD as VP Competitive. He still calls me "VP" when we meet; I call him by his first name or "Coach".

He's enough of a jokester that I was never sure if he was being sarcastic or not.

Not sure why, but I have always just called them "coach." Nothing more, nothing less. Just seems right to me.
PS I continue to call them "coach" no matter how long ago they were my kids actual coach.
This - but it's mostly because I can't remember anyone's name anyway. Coach covers a lot of ground...

Curious on how a parent calls a coach's name.
Example: coach name is David Beckham
Kid usually will say Coach David

Are parents supposed to say the same? I've typically just heard people say just first name.

Is there a difference in the way you address a coach's name in olders, DA, HS, College, etc?

Do some coaches get butt hurt if you dont call them coach? Just curious because I just call them by first name.
I go with whatever my kid does. So in school, it's Mr. Beckham or Professor Beckham. In soccer it's Coach or Coach David.

Coaches who have worked with my girls; I have always addressed them by their first names. When speaking to coaches I know at other clubs it depends. Some I just refer to as coach and others by their first name. It’s dependent on how well I know them.

Last edited:
I usually address as coach but notice other parents calling by first name so I started doing that with all the coaches.

Just don't know if I start doing that if some will get offended. Or if it matters more in college or high level academy, etc
Guess I can just go the Coach route to be safe.

Thanks for all the opinions though!

Most coaches all call each other coach because they know so many coaches they can't remember everyone's name. Kind of like the old "dude" when we were kids.

But as noted above coach seems to be an accepted title that is used by most players and parents. Once parents get to know a coach better, they often use their first name. Only a loser would be offended by this. There are too many that fit this category.

I expect the kids to address their coach by “Coach” or “Coach Sam.” I don’t expect the parents to address their kids coach by “Coach.” We are adults and should just use their first name until they correct you.

As a coach I like when kids call me Coach. I like when adults call me Coach. I like when co-coaches call me Coach. I like when everyone calls me Coach. I don't mind at all when parents call me by my first or last name. Players calling me by my first name - absolutely NOT!

Back