So, when are next year's tryouts?

S

Sped

Will they do the January thing again or will sanity prevail with dates further out? One of our parents already suggested that they're January again, but I don't want to believe it.

Will they do the January thing again or will sanity prevail with dates further out? One of our parents already suggested that they're January again, but I don't want to believe it.
I heard December for one OC club, its going to be crazy like last year. Just don't understand why do try outs before State Cup/National Cup. What does it accomplish?

December for a few OC clubs, already got a few calls and e-mails.
Yikes. But now that I think of it, I've seen a few kids from other clubs practicing with teams lately so I guess the shuffle is already underway.

I heard December for one OC club, its going to be crazy like last year.
And the year before that, the year before that and even the year before that. It sucks, but it's us as parents who determine if we'all stand for it. For example, A friend took their DD to an Open Practice in October. Low and behold they got an email offering her a spot on next years team. That friend was smart enough to respectfully tell the Club and Coach that they did not realize it was a try out and that it was too early to be talking about next year. They would like to table the discussion until Feb when tryout season had unofficially begun. Did it cost their DD a spot on that team. No, the offer was still there in Feb.

Some Clubs prey upon the ambitions of the parents more so than the kids. Don't be sucked in!

Cal-South should not allow any team to participate in State Cup if they have a tryout before State Cup. At least for the youngers.

Great idea, but I don't know how you would enforce it. As for the olders, they often recruit heavily in the interval between high school and National Cup schedule. U19s are even allowed to form an entirely new team just for the tournament, apparently recognizing that many players were away/busy with college in the fall but want to play again with their old teammates in the spring.

And the year before that, the year before that and even the year before that. It sucks, but it's us as parents who determine if we'all stand for it. For example, A friend took their DD to an Open Practice in October. Low and behold they got an email offering her a spot on next years team. That friend was smart enough to respectfully tell the Club and Coach that they did not realize it was a try out and that it was too early to be talking about next year. They would like to table the discussion until Feb when tryout season had unofficially begun. Did it cost their DD a spot on that team. No, the offer was still there in Feb.

Some Clubs prey upon the ambitions of the parents more so than the kids. Don't be sucked in!
why was she at an open practice in October to begin with? Did the parents really not understand that open practices are for evaluating players? There's little in your story worth praising.

Great idea, but I don't know how you would enforce it. As for the olders, they often recruit heavily in the interval between high school and National Cup schedule. U19s are even allowed to form an entirely new team just for the tournament, apparently recognizing that many players were away/busy with college in the fall but want to play again with their old teammates in the spring.

The internet police of socalsoccer.com would patrol it. Once we hear of a kid from club A showing up at Club b's practice in December, we send out the drone to record the interaction.
And if B has 2 or more players from another club at a practice, the it's considered a tryout.
And "open training" sessions are not allowed until after state cup is completely done for that age group.

I don't post for praise...just shared experience, opinions, facts and to help educate. If you must know, I recommended they go to an Open Preactice because it's also about evaluating coaches. Don't loose sight of who is the consumer in this relationship.

I'm sure when your DD was switching clubs last season, you did some evaluation and reasearch. Maybe you can also share some experiences in order to help others.

The internet police of socalsoccer.com would patrol it. Once we hear of a kid from club A showing up at Club b's practice in December, we send out the drone to record the interaction.
And if B has 2 or more players from another club at a practice, the it's considered a tryout.
And "open training" sessions are not allowed until after state cup is completely done for that age group.

Too many rules. And add another rule to cover guest players at tournaments. SAnd demand everyone's phone and email records to curb recruiting. Etc, etc, etc.

There used to be a "rule" that no tryouts could be held as long as a team was playing in State/National Cup, supposedly to protect the interests of the players already on the roster. Obviously, that favored the weaker teams who were dumped from SC/NC early. ("Our A team is in the semi-finals next week, but we are holding tryouts now for our B team") The "rule" was widely ignored, and to the best of my knowledge, no one was ever penalized for breaking it.

Too many rules. And add another rule to cover guest players at tournaments. SAnd demand everyone's phone and email records to curb recruiting. Etc, etc, etc.

There used to be a "rule" that no tryouts could be held as long as a team was playing in State/National Cup, supposedly to protect the interests of the players already on the roster. Obviously, that favored the weaker teams who were dumped from SC/NC early. ("Our A team is in the semi-finals next week, but we are holding tryouts now for our B team") The "rule" was widely ignored, and to the best of my knowledge, no one was ever penalized for breaking it.

If Cal South ever wanted to pass such a rule (and they won't) they could use their insurance club - no coverage at "illegal" tryouts.

Not sure there is a right and wrong here. Holding tryouts before state/national cup seems like it would shake up the progress a team has made leading up to state cup, but if that's what a club wants to do and kids are coming out let them do it. I know every year many kids move from one club to another between league and state cup for many different reasons, so seeing new kids at practices should be fairly common in the next couple months. I expected full open tryouts to go back to spring time for most clubs since the whole age change deal is behind us, but I guess like anything, there will always be one club trying to get "that" kid before the other club gets a chance to see him/her, thus forcing the other clubs to follow suit.

I don't post for praise...just shared experience, opinions, facts and to help educate. If you must know, I recommended they go to an Open Preactice because it's also about evaluating coaches. Don't loose sight of who is the consumer in this relationship.

I'm sure when your DD was switching clubs last season, you did some evaluation and reasearch. Maybe you can also share some experiences in order to help others.
She did all her looking over the span of 3 weeks while tryouts were going on.

If you are considering making a switch, then all season should be an evaluation.
How do coaches act on the sideline? How do the players react?
What is their style of play?
What is the spectator sideline like?
Do the girls on the field seem to get along?
Does the style of play translate across age groups?

She did all her looking over the span of 3 weeks while tryouts were going on.
Every situation is unique and I think we'd all agree last year was a unique situation. The youngers on our team knew they would be with a new coach so many started looking around to educate themselves as well as take advantage of the "open age group training sessions" and/or "open practices" to dig a little deeper.

I'm sure some DA clubs will be starting the marketing campaign sooner than later.

Every situation is unique and I think we'd all agree last year was a unique situation. The youngers on our team knew they would be with a new coach so many started looking around to educate themselves as well as take advantage of the "open age group training sessions" and/or "open practices" to dig a little deeper.

I'm sure some DA clubs will be starting the marketing campaign sooner than later.

And on cue...http://lagalaxysd.com/girls-da/

Back