Silverlakes needs to take the lead on player safety

Discussion in 'SoCalScene' started by justified, Jul 3, 2019.

1. justified

justified Bronze

Ratings:
    +138 / 5
    I think you're right in that teams need to think about it. I have no issues with playing tournaments in summer or hot weather, some of my kids best games and training sessions have been in summer when there's no school, they have time to sleep during the week and recover, and the game is more fun when the stress of school is not there. I don't really understand how any team can get excited by Slammers marketing for a Norco tournament in summer, though. It just doesn't make any sense, and all involved have to consider why they would get themselves into something like that in the first place. When I looked on the schedule I didn't see any games on turf, that could've changed, but that's a good sign, and a heatwave this weekend is more bad luck than anything. The weekend before wasn't that hot.

2. justified

justified Bronze

Ratings:
    +138 / 5
    You're missing the point. I looked back the Discovery League schedule from last year and saw that about half of our games were on turf on some of the hottest weekends. And the teams that played on turf during the CRL playin this year were at the hottest part of the day. The ones that were on grass were bearable. Why are you arguing with facts, all you have to do is look at the schedules and see that some teams got a bad draw and were stuck in bad conditions. The schedulers have enough time in advance to make a plan that is based around the well-being of all involved. If they can't manage that, then don't overbook or try to schedule events that is not in the best interests of players. Both teams playing on the same turf surface when it's more than 130 degrees is actually the problem. Do you remember the women's world cup in Canada in 2015? Do you remember the protests about the heat on the turf? So if elite athletes can't handle it, are you saying that our kids should just deal with it? Did you notice that the rules changed and all the players played on grass this year in the world cup? Were you complaining that they should also man up?

My point is, when conditions are unbearable on turf, it sucks for both teams, both teams are just trying to get through it. The enjoyment of the game is gone. The refs are going to miss calls. The parents are going to be upset. Why put any team in this situation? Why not just make the game at night under the lights, or use one of the 20-30 other fields? Everyone knows that it's going to be hot and smoggy in Norco in June - October. And what do you mean about kids running around in the streets? Kids who play club don't have that problem. That's a different issue.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Eagle33

Eagle33 Silver

Ratings:
    +717 / 27
    According to this guidelines we should not be playing soccer at all in CA

Attached Files:

4. timbuck

timbuck

Ratings:
    +3,449 / 37
    US Soccer also suggests that tournaments shouldn't be played. Especially at the younger ages (I'll have to hunt for the article on this). But that never stopped anyone from trying to make a buck.

5. Eagle33

Eagle33 Silver

Ratings:
    +717 / 27
    In the past 10 years Albion was cut short once due to heavy thunderstorms. I have no affiliation to Albion but have been attending this tournament almost every year.

6. Kicker4Life

Kicker4Life

Ratings:
    +2,671 / 43
    Not true! I had 2 years within the past 6 cut short due to rain.

7. Eagle33

Eagle33 Silver

Ratings:
    +717 / 27
    I must of missed 1 then. What any tournament suppose to do in case of rain?

8. Kicker4Life

Kicker4Life

Ratings:
    +2,671 / 43
    Truth! Was just making mention that nothing is perfect.

9. timbuck

timbuck

Ratings:
    +3,449 / 37
    There's a much greater chance of Silverlakes being close to 100 degrees in July/August than there is of thunderstorms in San Diego.

You also run a medium/high risk of a tournament getting rained out in January. Especially if it is scheduled on Irvine city fields.

10. SoccerFan4Life

SoccerFan4Life Silver

Ratings:
    +328 / 10
    For Silverlakes in the summer, When it’s 100 degree weather just run tournaments from 8am to noon and 6pm to 9pm. Heck they have so many fields they should be able to run most of Them in the morning.

You could also reduce playing time by 10 minutes.

They can even get some of those water sprayers in each corner or temporary shade on some of the fields. This obviously cost a lot of money but there is a way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. TangoCity

TangoCity Silver

Ratings:
    +688 / 12
    Davis College Showcase is suppose to be 104F this weekend. Ouch!

12. futboldad1

futboldad1 Silver

Ratings:
    +534 / 19
    Brutal Indeed!

13. R2564952

R2564952 Bronze

Ratings:
    +35 / 1

This is how I feel about SL

• Funny Funny x 5
  14. MWN

MWN Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +2,018 / 24
    The US Soccer document you shared assumes light winds, which is rarely the case in California's inland areas.

Since we are talking about Norco ... today at 3pm the temperature will be 99F, with humidity at 27% with a windspeed around 17mph. Using the US Soccer chart, which does not take into account wind speed, that puts the WBGT at 91, which is under the 95 max threshold. Because Norco typically experiences average winds of 15+ mph during the really hot periods, its drives the WBGT rating down further (around 81), which is within the "Orange" range for Category 1 areas (81.1 to 84.1).

This is a good calculator to use because it takes into consideration all of the factors, including wind speed.
    https://www.weather.gov/tsa/wbgt

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. soccerobserver

soccerobserver Silver

Ratings:
    +699 / 10
    Hahahahaha That was absolutely hilarious...country-ass Mfckrs!!! Thank you R256.

• Like Like x 1
  16. sdb

sdb Silver

Ratings:
    +324 / 4
    Says the person sitting under the umbrella drinking a cold drink...

• Like Like x 1
  17. MWN

MWN Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +2,018 / 24
    It's Norco, my umbrella was blown inside out and is broken

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  18. RJonesUSC

RJonesUSC Bronze

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Almost 12:30 and 90 degrees with a slight breeze. Not too bad yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. MA0812

MA0812 Bronze

Ratings:
    +79 / 0
    Couldn't agree more! We played Discovery last season so all games were scheduled in Norco. Most of the games were in the 90's with a few over 100 degrees. That is a recipe for disaster. We had players complaining of headaches and witnessed a player on an opposing team slightly disoriented during the game walk to the sideline and throw up. It's only a matter of time before there is a life threatening heat illness.

20. TangoCity

TangoCity Silver

Ratings:
    +688 / 12
    Unfortunately, there already have been. :(