Signing Day for Student/ Athletes

Sounds suspiciously like sour grapes to me.
Sour grapes because I think a person who is able to but unwilling to contribute to a program doesn't have a right to feel entitled to a benefit provided by the program?

Or are you assuming that I have sour grapes because you think my children are not "elite" enough to play at a high level? Whether my children are included in their high school NLI ceremony doesn't bother me because I can respect and understand why Athletic Directors choose to use their resources to celebrate athletes who contribute to their programs rather than spend time, energy, and money organizing for entitled parents who think their children are entitled to be included in a program's ceremony just because they are that "elite", without any contribution.

Sour grapes because I think a person who is able to but unwilling to contribute to a program doesn't have a right to feel entitled to a benefit provided by the program?

Or are you assuming that I have sour grapes because you think my children are not "elite" enough to play at a high level? Whether my children are included in their high school NLI ceremony doesn't bother me because I can respect and understand why Athletic Directors choose to use their resources to celebrate athletes who contribute to their programs rather than spend time, energy, and money organizing for entitled parents who think their children are entitled to be included in a program's ceremony just because they are that "elite", without any contribution.
The former minus the editorial portion. I wasn't aware that students couldn't be acknowledged for their accomplishments if it didn't benefit the school directly.

Like I said my son has left club soccer and enjoys playing a variety of high schools sports so it doesn't impact him whatsoever, but I do appreciate the sacrifice and commitment it takes for a club athlete to commit to his/her sport year round.

Admittedly you do touch a nerve with your HS resource excuse. I've spent the last 4 years of my daughters HS career fighting the administration that was trying to eliminate programs for high achieving students. The principals also used the resource excuse when in reality it was a matter of "will". Fortunately other parents joined the fight and we were able to save a number of programs.

The great irony of this is when a one of those club kids happens to go pro the HS will be the first to promote the fact that the student came from their high school.

I will give you the educator perspective, because I am one. Why should sports receive any greater attention than non-athletic students who also "commit" to colleges. Does your school hold a signing event for the science-star who got into Harvard? Or, the music kid going to Julliard? Or, the math whiz admitted to Cal Tech? I bet they don't. So, why should a kid get special attention because they are going to a college to kick a ball?

These events tend to do more for the parents' egos than the kids'. Yes, the kids would rather have them than not, but I don't think they care about them as much as the parents do. They've already posted on social media to all their friends about it.

Mind you, I have 3 kids who are student-athletes.
i bet you are really fun at parties

Would love to get some feed back on this. I personally think High Schools are missing big opportunity for there Students. Would like honest thoughts please:

To Staff,

First off, huge thanks to Ms.---( Office help part time), Ms., Mr and Mrs ---- and James --- and Ms. Lea for the warm reception for my daughter, as she committed to ----- yesterday. A special thank you to Ms.---- for arranging at the last minute an opportunity to support one of her BSU student athletes. Another special thanks to Hosea who wanted to share this moment but at the last minute he thought she would be in the gym. Most of you weren't aware of what was going on yesterday. The --- family is truly grateful.

Unfortunately, there are certain points I would like to bring to your attention regarding National Signing Day that I hope the school will consider to make the experience better in the future for all students, the school and the community.

National signing day is a special day for student athletes where they can be recognized for their accomplishments outside the classroom and celebrate with their friends, teachers ( Teacher/ Counselor who sent recommendation letters) and school community. The school has a great opportunity to leverage a signing day event. It's an effective way to showcase the well-rounded student body, build school spirit/community culture, potentially generate local media attention and most importantly, inspire other students to work hard to achieve their aspirations. The event is such a low effort event, given all the potential rewards. Please take this in consideration for the next generation of student athletes in the near future.

In my daughters case, she and I were told that student athletes who don't participate in school sports could not participate in a signing day hosted by the Athletic Department. Mr ---, thank you for taking my call and speaking with me about this, but I believe the school missed the mark on an opportunity. I called several athletic directors and unanimously they shared that their schools celebrate all athletes with a signing day event, on social media and through school spirit, regardless of sport, division, club vs. school sports, etc. These kids are key members of the school community, and they have shown determination as they juggled the demands of their sport with their school work. The reason to celebrate them isn't because they participated in school sports, its to celebrate that they are members of the High school community.

Yesterday, there were four female athlete commits Cindy, Jordan and Kim. I spoke with the parents of 2 others and those parents shared that the girls wanted to have this experience together and celebrate one another. Instead there was one athlete in the gym, my daughter scrambled to pull something together on her own with the help of Ms. -----, and the remaining two athletes were told they would have to wait and do their signing day at some other date. Breaking this up took away all momentum from the event. Most of the people that came out to support only knew about the event through word-of-mouth -- I am told there was no mention of this in announcements. The school lost any benefit from this approach. I know 3 of 4 athletes were disappointed by this approach as well.

Again, thank you to all who came to support my daughter in this exciting moment and congratulations to Cindy, Kim and Jordan for their accomplishments as well.

Warmest Regards,

The Family

The Athletic Directors response :

I just spoke with the school in our area that has the most commits, High School Name, and they had NOTHING, NOTHING yesterday for their signees and will instead hold a ceremony in February. In addition, they have, in the past, done exactly as we did yesterday and hold a signing for an individual athlete. They will also, like us, hold individual ceremonies throughout the year. I have had several conversations with AD's and there are some who honor kids who opt not to participate with their athletic program and some who do. I asked our coaches at ------- their opinion and overwhelmingly they did not think our athletic program should honor them because they simply are not part of our athletic program. I am glad that our school honored your daughter and I think it was done at the right setting in a small private classroom.

My response back:

Mr AD ( Athletic Director),

Thank you for your response and I sincerely appreciate you engaging in a dialog about this topic. I hope our discussion leads to the best experience for future athletes at High School.

I am aware that many schools do different things on different dates for signing day. Since there are several signing days throughout the year for various sports, I know several schools that wait until the end of the year so they can celebrate with everyone at once. Those schools are leveraging the energy from all the athletes for a community building event at their school. The person I see getting the most benefit is the young underclassman that is working diligently at their sport who aspires to play at top school - whether that’s a top 10 ranked power 5 D1 school or a top academic D3 or the kid that just wants to play for their college. These seniors act as role models to the younger kids and leveraging that to better the school community should be the purpose of an event like this.

While I am sure you are right that some schools choose to do individual ceremonies, judging from my Facebook feed over the past 48 hours, I suspect more often schools are doing group ceremonies. It is certainly logistically simpler and creates buzz. Most importantly, I suspect most kids want to be together and celebrate with each other.

As it relates to kids that don’t play sports for the school, your closing comment in your email makes your position very clear. As per our last conversation you rather have student athletes you don't play a school sport to celebrate in a more private event. That's a great idea to rally school spirit to be more exclusive. I am disappointed by that and sincerely hope that you and the coaches reconsider. There is benefit to the student body to celebrate these kids which I have already outlined. My DD was fortunate that she had a forum to celebrate but what happens to the student who doesn’t? Their contribution to the school community is considered less than?

And I leave you with this - In the current environment, when so much in the world is about inclusion, what does the athletic department gain by not being inclusive?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Best regards,
Wait so you are bugging the AD of a program your daughter chose not to be a part of because he did not include her? How entitled are you? How ass backwards is your thinking? She made her choice not to participate. Why would he honor her? You are the exact definition of the entitiled soccer parent.

Wait so you are bugging the AD of a program your daughter chose not to be a part of because he did not include her? How entitled are you? How ass backwards is your thinking? She made her choice not to participate. Why would he honor her? You are the exact definition of the entitiled soccer parent.
Correction, I'm looking at the other 5 GIRLS WHO PLAYS High School soccer my friend. Your another tool I bet is really fun at parties. Its Entitled not Entitiled BTW!

Correction, I'm looking at the other 5 GIRLS WHO PLAYS High School soccer my friend. Your another tool I bet is really fun at parties. Its Entitled not Entitiled BTW!
AD's today can be total clowns bro and so are some parents. They blew it big time with your dd. My kid obviously did not get a ride to college but the new AD was so supportive of my dd doing something different then the rest and they honored her choice to continue to play the great game. Sorry to hear about this.

Back