September is Suicide Prevention Month

Suicide is the second leading cause of death for 10-24 year olds.

It might be the leading cause of death after this is all over. Sometimes it's difficult to identify the differences of normal teenage behavior versus concerning behavior. The following are warning signs to look for that might be a red flag for something else going on:
  • Irritability (often a symptom of teen depression)
  • Changes in appetite or sleep patterns
  • Withdrawal or isolation
  • Decreased pleasure or joy in activities that usually cause happiness
  • Decreased quality of schoolwork or work completion
  • Attendance concerns - frequency absences or tardies
  • Self-injury
  • Verbal comments such as "I am worthless" or "I am a burden to others"
  • History of suicidal behavior
  • Feelings of hopelessness or helplessness
Although we cannot predict suicide or suicidal ideation based on any specific criteria, there are certain factors that can increase a student's risk of suicidal thinking. Some things that may cause heightened risk for suicidal thinking are:
  • Access to weapons/means (firearms, knives, medication, etc.)
  • History of depression or mental illness
  • Substance abuse
  • Recent stressors (break up, peer conflict, identity concerns, etc.)
  • History of death or suicide in the family or recent death of a close friend
  • LGBTQ youth
  • History of other suicide attempts
If you are concerned about your child, please contact a member of the counseling team to discuss your concerns. Your child may be recommended for school-based counseling or referred to outside therapy for more intensive supports. Below are some hotline numbers to be used for after school hours during times of acute crisis.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline 800-273-TALK (8255)

Teen Line Text TEEN to 839-863 310-855-4673

If your child or child's friend is an immediate threat to themselves, please call 9-1-1​

I just heard about another teen killing themselves. It's interesting to see all these "health pros" on here trying to protect one healthy soccer player from catching the virus so they dont pass it on to someone. Shut down schools, parks, fields and just about everything for kids. Why? So they dont die? Wake up folks. Teens are killing themselves everyday. #1 cause of death for 10-14 year old is suicide. Is all this lock down helping or hurting the kids? Will more kill themselves with all this crap or will this make less suicide? Wake the up parents!!!! I will post stories of teens who killed themselves everyday this month.
Divorce is through the roof too. Kids blame themselves a lot when mom and dad can;t get along. So parents divorce, no school, no sports and no life for little teenager. Dad left all pissed at his wife. Wife is all stressed and dad just lost his job. Dad drinks and then blames his wife for moving to California in the first place. So much blaming, he leaves and goes back East.

This was written October 2019. Some key points I pulled from the article. Let's help kids from really dying. The report, titled America’s Health Rankings 2019

A new national report focusing on women’s and children’s health has found a 34% increase in teen suicides among California youth between the ages of 15 and 19 over the past three years —

“Social isolation is an important factor that contributes to teen suicides,” she said. “More and more teens have screens in front of their faces. They don’t feel as connected with family members and friends.”

When it comes to teen suicide, the report’s findings are in line with a recent analysis done by the Southern California News Group, which found that about one in five California students surveyed by their school districts have thought about killing themselves.

Yup, until your hugging a parent with uncontrollable cries of pain. The teen had pain and now has no more. That pain is then transferred to the parents and they take on all the teens pain. They start looking at the phone and are dumbfounded with how their child would do such a thing and then just read and read and cry and cry because they realized the pressure these kids felt. Wake up parents, this could happen to any of our kids. Please, talk to your kids. Read this article about Patrick.........

Some say suicide is best discussed behind closed doors. But they are wrong.
One year ago in Southern California, four teenagers within just three weeks, took their lives. The first and youngest was Emma Pangelinan, a softball phenom, who killed herself in a park at age 13.
The second was Patrick Turner, who died in darkness on an empty baseball field. But before ending his life, the high school sophomore wrote four remarkable letters calling for less pressure on teens.........

Hug your kids today. Tell them you love them and that your super proud of them. Not for good grades or being a good player, just for being a kid through these tough times. I have had a few melt downs over the last 6 months. Many of my melt downs are in my brain btw and their not about soccer. This has been hard on on ALL of us. Our kids just need to know that the pressures of life is not what life is about. Slow down and enjoy the day everyone. I have not watched the news news for a few weeks now. I do catch up online and this is my favorite place to go for Breaking News on Soccer and politics :)

I dedicate this song to my wife. She is my Angel. I went through some tough times in 2017-2019. Pain and I mean deep pain. Knives in da back kind of pain. Find your Angel and be an Angel to others when you can :)

Shocking Suicide of Teen on Orange County Campus Closes Schools

"No parent should ever have to bury their kid," said parent Ian Ellison.

Within hours after learning of the death, dozens of students and parents gathered at Grand Park. They said they felt the need to be together and to make sure this doesn't happen again.

The hugs and tears rose to the surface, with teachers, parents and students pausing to reflect on the unexpected death. Officials say the 13-year was reported missing early Tuesday morning. By daybreak he was discovered to be dead.

Student Jocelyn Ellison said the topic of getting help might be hard to broach with parents.

"We don't like talking to stuff about that to our parents. It's embarrassing so we tell our friends instead," she said.

Cleveland police officer dies by suicide in North Ridgeville, official confirms

Sept 4th, 2020 RIP Officer Sabo. Police officers have pain too and many have killed themselves.

A Cleveland police officer died by suicide on Thursday night in North Ridgeville, officials have confirmed.
Nicholas Sabo, 39, was an officer with CPD’s Fourth District, confirmed Cleveland Police Patrolmen's Association president Jeff Follmer.

"We are in shock of the news of the passing of officer Nick Sabo,” Follmer said. “He was a great officer and friend. Our hearts our heavy today with the amount of loss we are feeling."

I shared about Mr Snow goes to DC a few times on here. He went through so much, more than anyone I know. He retired down in Fl after he single handily outlawed Lawn Darts, and opened up a Hobby store. Model airplanes, model cars and all that hobby stuff I never got into. His wife had her side where she sold knitting supplies and taught knitting and how to sew. All was great until Sam put one of his stores on the same lot. Anyway, he was knocked out by the big guy and tried to stay busy. He had PTSD, but didnlt know it. One night in his garage, he had a gun pointed at his head and he was done. However, his son had just pulled up to say hi and he put it away. He didnt want his boy finding him dead. He ran out the side garage door half naked down the street in a major panic attack. He snapped. The police were called found him in the bushes in a fetal position and throwing up. One of the cops was a Vet as well and new exactly what was going on and he helped save my brothers life. My brother now helps others as well.

soccerhelper, although I do get so sick of hearing your repetitive stories on this forum about your daughter's "tragic" experience I do appreciate you bringing this topic to the forum. It is the biggest threat to our youth. Parents and communities are afraid and ashamed to talk about it or don't have the information that they need. Many youth are significantly suffering. Treatment is available and recovery is possible. Keep up the good fight for awareness on this!!

soccerhelper, although I do get so sick of hearing your repetitive stories on this forum about your daughter's "tragic" experience I do appreciate you bringing this topic to the forum. It is the biggest threat to our youth. Parents and communities are afraid and ashamed to talk about it or don't have the information that they need. Many youth are significantly suffering. Treatment is available and recovery is possible. Keep up the good fight for awareness on this!!
Thank you 43. My DD story is kind of the point. Pressure to be the best in all area;s of life at 14. You know, true Unicorn stuff. Not everyone has the chops for all that. Everyone of us has felt hard core pressure before. I used to drive home on the 91 in 2016 with inner road rage. My nut to hit every month was not wise as I look back. I was so hurt, angry, pissed and felt betrayed. I felt cheated and all those things and felt a big, "woe is me in life." All of it were things out of my control too. Their were times I thought I could continue straight over the railing on Ortega Hwy and my family can get all the reward money for my head, dead. I was more valuable dead then alive and felt that dad pressure to keep life financially safe for the clan. Stay home mom environment is not easy to make happen in Socal, no matter where you live. I never would go off a cliff on purpose, but the thought entered my mind, I wont lie.

Yes, we have heard the story over and over and over and over and over and over and over again ...but like I said appreciate the highlight on the Suicide topic

Back