Scouting metrics

Espola,
You are usually very helpful to those parents who lack your experience and wisdom.

The criteria is not obvious to me. Please share your knowledge. Seriously, many folks here are trying to learn in order to help our kids reach their goals. Your post has a chilling effect on asking "obvious " questions.

The best way to evaluate a player is in a game, but sometimes players go a long time without any time on the ball, which can limit what you can see. Personally, I look for balanced left/right ability, ability to trap a difficult ball, and apparent knowledge of where to go without the ball. The world is full of hot shooters, but playmakers are rare.

The best way to evaluate a player is in a game, but sometimes players go a long time without any time on the ball, which can limit what you can see. Personally, I look for balanced left/right ability, ability to trap a difficult ball, and apparent knowledge of where to go without the ball. The world is full of hot shooters, but playmakers are rare.
Thank you Espola!

Why would the US be so arrogant to think that they can come up with an evaluation system that would rival Bayern, Barcelona, Real Madrid etc? Add Manchester and maybe 2 other pro clubs and their combined income and reserves exceeds the entire NFL. Copy what they do. Mostly the eye test! They look for youngsters with promise (6-8 year olds). What is promise? That is pretty obvious if you've watched this age group at all. They reevaluate every year. Those progressing stay, those not replaced. By the time they get to 16-17 they know if they are real or not. Do they miss some? Absolutely. But more money will not develop a better evaluation system. What it will do is hire people that know WTF they are doing and can spot talent and not overlook the diminutive little kid that is shy and introverted but lives every day of his life through the game, makes the bigger, stronger, faster players look like orange cones and evolves into the greatest player to play the game and regularly makes the games finest players still look like orange cones at a training session. That is how change will come. Not recycling the same losers and expecting something different. That is called insanity.
Actually, if you took the best athletes from all our major sports and trained them from a young age in soccer, we would be on a level playing field with the rest of the world. There are so many choices for our athletes! There are great small athletes and there are great average size athletes and there are great large athletes, get over the size issue.

I appreciate all the opinions on this and glad others chimed in! I was too curious about about this topic and interesting to see that the soft skills are highly valued.

Back