Rumors about ECNL girls admitting one or more top GA clubs for 24-25 season.

I agree, formalizing NWSL Next is worthless until NWSL implements a homegrown rule.

I really hope when NWSL Next happens that they just copy everything MLS Next has already setup. šŸ™ It would make everything so much easier for everyone involved.
That would be nice but .. the money. MLS teams are starting to sell players and using that to fund academies. The women are not close to that and the valuation of men's vs women's players is huge as well. Not only do the women's teams make a fraction of what the MLS teams do but they are not have nearly the infrastructure. Those that are paired with a MLS team (RSL/Royals) can likely do it as they would just leverage the academy already in place, same fields, same physios etc but others SD Wave etc do not. Think that will be a struggle not to mention the "alumi" factor with ECNL. Will be interesting.

I'd love it if we had a clear pipeline. But until US Soccer takes a more prominent and forceful role in all of this on both the girls and boys side, I don't see how we get far
Iā€™m optimistic that weā€™re closer on the girls side of this. NWSL has gained a lot of popularity these last few years. And now with the addition of youth players at the highest levels in the US, I would expect more professional pathways being developed sooner than later. I also think the girls pathway will supersede the boys pathway.

In the US, thereā€™s way more interest for womenā€™s soccer and advocacy within the girls youth soccer program and the USWNT compared to the boys in my opinion especially compared to other women sports. I donā€™t think the girls side needs to be tied to or restricted to whatā€™s happening on the boys side. The previous success of the USWNT, and now the global advancement of womenā€™s soccer will continue to drive the womenā€™s side independently of the men in my opinion.

Iā€™m optimistic that weā€™re closer on the girls side of this. NWSL has gained a lot of popularity these last few years. And now with the addition of youth players at the highest levels in the US, I would expect more professional pathways being developed sooner than later. I also think the girls pathway will supersede the boys pathway.

In the US, thereā€™s way more interest for womenā€™s soccer and advocacy within the girls youth soccer program and the USWNT compared to the boys in my opinion especially compared to other women sports. I donā€™t think the girls side needs to be tied to or restricted to whatā€™s happening on the boys side. The previous success of the USWNT, and now the global advancement of womenā€™s soccer will continue to drive the womenā€™s side independently of the men in my opinion.
I would like to think so but how far are we from US Soccer subsidizing the pay of the USWNT players in NWSL? What 18months? As much as they advanced their causes for "equal" pay they burned some bridges along the way. NWSL is getting to the point where the business model will have to work on its own and it is dangerously tied to a USWNT that in no longer as dominant as it was.
Looks a lot like the USYS logo to me.
tomorrow is the day... all will be revealed.

So DPL just made their announcement.

Here's the Net...

- DPL will stay at the club level for girls
- A level above is being created called National Development League which are just teams. (I assume the players will be picked from DPL/EA teams)
- Top DPL and NAL clubs and teams will participate together in events.

- EA will stay at the club level for girls
- A level above is being created called National Development League which are just teams. (I assume the players will be picked from DPL/EA teams)
- Top EA and NAL clubs and teams will participate together in events.

What this sounds like is DPL and EA are working together to do events. DPL gets the girls and EA gets the boys.

There's still more to tease about NAL. It will be provided on 4/4/2024

Press release from DPL:

INTRODUCING THE NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE:
A NEW ERA CONNECTING LEAGUES, CLUBS & TEAMS IN YOUTH SOCCER

LOS ANGELES, 04/02/2024
ā€“ In a landmark move that promises to reshape the youth soccer landscape, the Development Player League (DPL) and the Elite Academy League (EA) are proud to collaborate and announce the launch of the National Development League (NDL) for the 2024 season, creating a tier of innovation for leagues, clubs and teams.

The National Development League is the first of its kind, a national team-based league born out of a vision to bring teams together, creating a cohesive network that fosters growth, development, and competition at the highest level while serving as a foundational platform for clubs to demonstrate their potential to advance within the Club vs Club ecosystem.

"We're thrilled to join forces with the NDL to enhance opportunities for young female athletes. Incorporating a Team vs Team dynamic aligns perfectly with our mission of fostering Meaningful and Purposeful experiences. This marks another milestone in the DPL's journey as a pioneer and influencer in youth soccer. Importantly, this enhancement strengthens the DPL without altering the overall structure or intent of the league. It's a groundbreaking collaborative initiative within the youth soccer community." ā€“ Lee Hudson, DPL League Development Manager.

The NDL is built on the foundation of inclusivity and opportunity. Its mission is to make the highest levels of the game accessible, allowing players, teams, and clubs to earn their place among the elite through merit and performance. By forging a dynamic National Development League Network, it ensures talent has the visibility and the opportunity to rise to the forefront.

"The DPL and EA share in the desire to elevate clubs by helping them perform at higher levels and create clear player and club pathways. Working together to create an inclusive way for teams to work toward a club v club model was feedback that was consistently coming into our groups, which forced everyone to sit on the same side of the table and support the creation of the National Development League. Our desire is to create opportunity for more!ā€ ā€“ Ryan Miller, EA commissioner.

As a Pathway Alliance member, the NDL is committed to creating experiential opportunities that drive growth and development from the team versus team level upwards. This includes league play, event access with DPL and EA, talent ID pathways for individual players, and substantial investments in the players, coaches, and clubs that form the backbone of the league. The goal is to enrich our national soccer ecosystem, providing a ladder of opportunity that spans local, regional, and national competitions.

At its core, the National Development League is a network of team versus team youth soccer leagues acting as a proving ground for clubs to access the National Club vs Club Leagues, the DPL and EA. This structure is designed to deliver superior experiences for all members, from players and coaches to players and their families, ensuring that the journey through youth soccer is both rewarding and transformative.

The NDL invites leagues from across the nation to join this groundbreaking initiative as we embark on a journey to elevate youth soccer to new heights. This is more than just a league; it's a movement to champion the potential of every young athlete through competition, development, and opportunity.

For more information on how to become a part of the National Development League or to learn more about the league's structure and benefits, please visit our website www.NationalDevelopmentLeague.com.

--
ABOUT THE NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE
The National Development League, created by the Development Player League (DPL) and the Elite Academy League (EA), is the only national youth soccer league designed to maximize opportunities for individual teams to compete at the highest levels with an objective to earn opportunities in the club vs club platforms, the DPL & EA.

Through a transparent and accessible pathway, the NDL aims to revolutionize youth soccer in the United States, promoting growth, excellence, and the development of young talent.

So DPL just made their announcement.

Here's the Net...

- DPL will stay at the club level for girls
- Top DPL and NAL clubs and teams will participate together in events.

- EA will stay at the club level for girls
- Top EA and NAL clubs and teams will participate together in events.

What this sounds like is DPL and EA are working together to do events. DPL gets the girls and EA gets the boys.

There's still more to tease about NAL. It will be provided on 4/4/2024
makes sense. Tons of clubs have both. ECNL has been kicking out boys clubs that have MLS next as they feel the top team should be ECNL. So those clubs are 90% of the time going EA. Pairing them up may create a synergy and help both.. but maybe not. Not sure where this puts GA as well... Honestly if DPL owns GA they should simply rebrand it to something else and make DPL the reserve league like ECNL and ENRL. That would make more sense than this. Make the top leagues LOOK like... GA - MLS Next then DPL - EA. If GA could somehow be branded NWSL Next it would be a coup.

makes sense. Tons of clubs have both. ECNL has been kicking out boys clubs that have MLS next as they feel the top team should be ECNL. So those clubs are 90% of the time going EA. Pairing them up may create a synergy and help both.. but maybe not. Not sure where this puts GA as well... Honestly if DPL owns GA they should simply rebrand it to something else and make DPL the reserve league like ECNL and ENRL. That would make more sense than this. Make the top leagues LOOK like... GA - MLS Next then DPL - EA. If GA could somehow be branded NWSL Next it would be a coup.
If you look at how MLS Next evolved from boys DA its fairly clear that pro leagues only care about running a league to find new talent. "Events" don't matter and even games played by lower level Academy teams are all distractions from the end product which is the Pro team. If NWSL Next happens it will likely mirror MLS Next because both pro leagues have the same needs from academy teams.

But you never know anything could happen.

So im a little confused here isn't DPL an all girls and EA an all boys league? So will NDL have a girls and a boys side like ecnl?
Seems more like a partnership for running events. DPL gets the girls side and EA gets the boys side.

NDL isn't clear yet but is probably just hand picked DPL/EA player teams. These teams will play against each other at events to attract scouts.

True, the only thing about NWSL NEXT is MLS NEXT is for homegrowns and they end up selling those homegrowns and put it back into the academy, pro clubs just can't sell players for nearly as much as men so if they do NWSL NEXT will fall because they won't have enough money to put back into there academies.
If you look at how MLS Next evolved from boys DA its fairly clear that pro leagues only care about running a league to find new talent. "Events" don't matter and even games played by lower level Academy teams are all distractions from the end product which is the Pro team. If NWSL Next happens it will likely mirror MLS Next because both pro leagues have the same needs from academy teams.

But you never know anything could happen.

NDL sits under both EA and DPL.

It is team based, not club based.

Top individual teams from the NDL leagues around the country will have access to DPL and EA events.

Clubs can use it as a proving ground for future applications to DPL and EA at Club vs Club Level.

All 3 stay independent.

Next step is for NDL leagues around the country to be launched, first one 4.4.24.

Top individual teams from the NDL leagues around the country will have access to DPL and EA events.

Clubs can use it as a proving ground for future applications to DPL and EA at Club vs Club Level.

All 3 stay independent.

Next step is for NDL leagues around the country to be launched, first one 4.4.24.
Big nothingburger

All 3 stay independent.

Thank you

Unfortunately a very underwhelming announcement....Just another acronym to deal with....really felt they were gonna get it right....SMH
Agreed. I like the idea of individual teams being able to prove themselves & taking power away from the big clubs. But on the converse it continues to divide & water down the competition. As well as another acronym to deal with. Bummer.

Agreed. I like the idea of individual teams being able to prove themselves & taking power away from the big clubs. But on the converse it continues to divide & water down the competition. As well as another acronym to deal with. Bummer.
Also Iā€™d like to say good for those players being able to go to additional showcases for more exposure however DPL showcases do not get a good turn out of scouts and I am not an outside hater my daughter played in probably 3 DPL showcases as well as 1 DA 1 GA and 1 ECNL (the one year in ECRL there was no showcase) and there is no comparison not even close and actually the girls are better off saving money and doing Surf Silverlakes and Vegas showcases where she was recruited now playing college.

Btw no she was not a grasshopper there are a couple clubs that once had ECNL then DA and ECNL then DA and DPL then GA ECRL DPL for a year šŸ˜‚ then GA and DPL

Back