Rumors about ECNL girls admitting one or more top GA clubs for 24-25 season.

Eventually ECNL is going to piss off MLS and MLS Next by not allowing MLSN clubs to play their girls teams in ECNL. Also Eventually NWSL is going to need to create a copy of MLSN.

When these happen MLS and NWSL will work together like ECNL does with boys and girls at member clubs forcing MLSN clubs to play their girls teams on NWSLN.

This is when the real fireworks will begin.
We will see

Eventually ECNL is going to piss off MLS and MLS Next by not allowing MLSN clubs to play their girls teams in ECNL.

I'm curious where this narrative came from.

Bay Area Surf
De Anza Force
Phoenix Rising
RSL AZ/Utah Royals FC AZ
Orlando City - Seminole
Jacksonville FC
Real Colorado
St. Louis Scott Gallagher
Indy Eleven
Midwest United

All run boys teams in MLSN and Girls in ECNL. I'm guessing there are others.

Because several of those listed had both MLS Next boys and ECNL boys teams, and last season it seems they were "strongly encouraged" to drop one if they wanted to keep the other. It isn't a stretch that they may eventually be encouraged to drop the corresponding girls teams if there is a reasonable alternative.

I'm curious where this narrative came from.

Bay Area Surf
De Anza Force
Phoenix Rising
RSL AZ/Utah Royals FC AZ
Orlando City - Seminole
Jacksonville FC
Real Colorado
St. Louis Scott Gallagher
Indy Eleven
Midwest United

All run boys teams in MLSN and Girls in ECNL. I'm guessing there are others.
RSL AZ were kicked out of boys ECNL and have two EA teams (along with MLS Next). They run the girls as Utah Royals, so I'd imagine they have a degree of separation even though its the same club.

Phoenix Rising will not give up MLS Next. Their ECNL boys teams are not strong.

There are several AZ boys ECNL teams but their girls are not ECNL.

So ECNL isn't actually consistent on that front. I expect they use it when they feel like it.

Because several of those listed had both MLS Next boys and ECNL boys teams, and last season it seems they were "strongly encouraged" to drop one if they wanted to keep the other. It isn't a stretch that they may eventually be encouraged to drop the corresponding girls teams if there is a reasonable alternative.
I expect they only strongly encourage it if they feel its a good boys program. They don't seem to strongly encourage a girls ECNL team if they have granted a boys.

The thought process goes like this...

MLS doesn't care about youth sports. They only run MLSN because via a homegrown rule it might provide talent at a lower cost. MLSN leagues #1 purpose is to funnel talent into MLS Academies and to provide high level boys teams for MLS Academies to play against for development. If ECNL starts tieing access to Girls ECNL and forcing boys ECNL at current MLSN clubs or say they force MLSN clubs not to play 2nd teams in boys ECNL or etc now they're causing problems for MLS. If MLSN clubs have any problems making $$$ or for whatever reason have issues fielding MLSN teams it suddenly becomes an issue for MLS.

NWSL eventually is going to need to start functioning like all the other big leagues. This means they'll need to implement a homegrown rule and implement Academies. While this can happen in many forms the easiest (and proven successful) way to do it would be to just copy everything MLSN has done and create a NWSLN league.

On top of all this you have US Soccer waiting in the wings. They've addressed all of DAs issues on the boys/mens side via MLSN. Now they're starting to turn their attention to the girls side. The recent promotion of GA in US soccer is proof of this.

Does all this mean anything? Does all this mean something? I don't know.

USL is Putting Pressure on NWSL regarding Academies and "pro pathway"

Something that the USLSL also has that the NWSL does not is a clear developmental pathway from the amateur to professional levels.

“We’ve invested heavily in the path to pro at the USL,” Vandervort said. “Today, there’s about 2 million registered girls playing youth soccer in the U.S. but only a select group — maybe 30,000 — make it into a competitive youth level. Even then, the focus is largely on winning and showcasing talent rather than development as players.”

Vandervort spoke on Tuesday about the new league. Steph Yang and Jeff Rueter were on the call to get answers to questions probably swirling in your mind.

The thought process goes like this...

MLS doesn't care about youth sports. They only run MLSN because via a homegrown rule it might provide talent at a lower cost. MLSN leagues #1 purpose is to funnel talent into MLS Academies and to provide high level boys teams for MLS Academies to play against for development. If ECNL starts tieing access to Girls ECNL and forcing boys ECNL at current MLSN clubs or say they force MLSN clubs not to play 2nd teams in boys ECNL or etc now they're causing problems for MLS. If MLSN clubs have any problems making $$$ or for whatever reason have issues fielding MLSN teams it suddenly becomes an issue for MLS.

NWSL eventually is going to need to start functioning like all the other big leagues. This means they'll need to implement a homegrown rule and implement Academies. While this can happen in many forms the easiest (and proven successful) way to do it would be to just copy everything MLSN has done and create a NWSLN league.

On top of all this you have US Soccer waiting in the wings. They've addressed all of DAs issues on the boys/mens side via MLSN. Now they're starting to turn their attention to the girls side. The recent promotion of GA in US soccer is proof of this.

Does all this mean anything? Does all this mean something? I don't know.
Spain La Liga has a top Division and has a "B" league, and the Federation has a "C" league and a "D" league. You can buy in the "C" league if the price is right. If you lose, you get dropped. If you win, you promote up. Simple is simple.

Spain La Liga has a top Division and has a "B" league, and the Federation has a "C" league and a "D" league. You can buy in the "C" league if the price is right. If you lose, you get dropped. If you win, you promote up. Simple is simple.
So basically open leagues and pro/rel... Yea, we all want that.

So basically open leagues and pro/rel... Yea, we all want that.
Barcelona has a top pro team, a top pro "B" team playing in the "B" league and then academy youth teams playing in top youth leagues. Most of the top clubs in Li Laga are the same way, like Real Madrid and so on. Your "B" team could be playing in the "C" league for poor performance. You have to invest in your youth and "B" team to be top dog. The closed leagues in the USA will soon be an afterthought. They have to be control freaks to keep control and the Monopoly money coming in. Those who get left out are the kids. The parents' ego suffers but more importantly, the girls get stuck in the middle of power trips and that's why Pay For Play sucks in our country. Many of the Docs and coaches know parents will pay just about anything to make sure their kid is elite and make The List!!!

USL is Putting Pressure on NWSL regarding Academies and "pro pathway"

Something that the USLSL also has that the NWSL does not is a clear developmental pathway from the amateur to professional levels.

“We’ve invested heavily in the path to pro at the USL,” Vandervort said. “Today, there’s about 2 million registered girls playing youth soccer in the U.S. but only a select group — maybe 30,000 — make it into a competitive youth level. Even then, the focus is largely on winning and showcasing talent rather than development as players.”

Vandervort spoke on Tuesday about the new league. Steph Yang and Jeff Rueter were on the call to get answers to questions probably swirling in your mind.
Great article on the athletic. Love my membership.

Requirements for Division 1

1707935526766.png

With the NWSL moving to 16 teams and already having the TV contract to boost salaries for players, I see a difficult road to equality. Would be great if the USL became the feeder league to the NWSL, like the G league for the NBA.

Great article on the athletic. Love my membership.

Requirements for Division 1

View attachment 19757

With the NWSL moving to 16 teams and already having the TV contract to boost salaries for players, I see a difficult road to equality. Would be great if the USL became the feeder league to the NWSL, like the G league for the NBA.
What I see is a league at the same level as NWSL but without salary caps.

I big money investor could blow NWSL salaries out of the water and create a dream team that could beat all the NWSL clubs.

Kind of like the PGA vs LIV situation. Or USL might be able to force NWSL to merge and accept their top teams.

I big money investor could blow NWSL salaries out of the water and create a dream team that could beat all the NWSL clubs.

Kind of like the PGA vs LIV situation. Or USL might be able to force NWSL to merge and accept their top teams.
That would be the best solution but investors would want to see that money coming back and unfortunately the money/support isn't there. Sadly. So much female talent going to waste.

Average for USL men is 30-50K, while MLS is 500K. NWSL is 50K - 400K, and average around 80K. I don't see the womens USL getting more than the men. They are only adding about 150 players. Gotham is already the NWSL super team. Considering 90% of the USWNT is already on NWSL rosters and need to be playing vs competitive teams, joining a USL super team doesn't help their over all skills unless the 7 other teams are decent.

If we lower expectations and realize this can still be good soccer on a slightly lower basis, with many of these players moving to the NWSL eventually, that can still be a very good thing. Lots of recent High School and college players that want to keep playing. This opens more spots to continue the dream.

RSL AZ were kicked out of boys ECNL and have two EA teams (along with MLS Next). They run the girls as Utah Royals, so I'd imagine they have a degree of separation even though its the same club.

Phoenix Rising will not give up MLS Next. Their ECNL boys teams are not strong.

There are several AZ boys ECNL teams but their girls are not ECNL.

So ECNL isn't actually consistent on that front. I expect they use it when they feel like it.

I expect they only strongly encourage it if they feel its a good boys program. They don't seem to strongly encourage a girls ECNL team if they have granted a boys.
Honestly Boys ECNL is trash. MLS Next is unquestionably top, ECNL/EA distant second. Not sure ECNL can pressure clubs to give up Girls ECNL as there is likely more money on the Boys side especially with clubs now starting to be paid for transfers. All that would happen would be the biggest clubs putting their top girls in GA and make that league stronger. ECNL knows that. In AZ RSL and Rising are by far the biggest clubs and neither put a lot of effort into Boys ECNL. Some of the smaller clubs are starting to get Boys ECNL but their teams aren't very good, seems like more of a cash grab type of deal. I would argue there are boys teams in the Bimbo league that are better and send players to Liga MX.

Average for USL men is 30-50K, while MLS is 500K. NWSL is 50K - 400K, and average around 80K. I don't see the womens USL getting more than the men. They are only adding about 150 players. Gotham is already the NWSL super team. Considering 90% of the USWNT is already on NWSL rosters and need to be playing vs competitive teams, joining a USL super team doesn't help their over all skills unless the 7 other teams are decent.

If we lower expectations and realize this can still be good soccer on a slightly lower basis, with many of these players moving to the NWSL eventually, that can still be a very good thing. Lots of recent High School and college players that want to keep playing. This opens more spots to continue the dream.
If you want a no salary cap, open league, that supports promotion and relegation you have to support leagues like USL who are trying to do that.

You can't say but XYZ league (which doesn't align with what you want) is better because of 123. Because each time you do it makes it harder for them to get a foothold.

It's like with NWSL and how some people say they won't create "NWSL Next" because college is good enough. If you want to see change you have to support the changes you want to see.

If you want a no salary cap, open league, that supports promotion and relegation you have to support leagues like USL who are trying to do that.

You can't say but XYZ league (which doesn't align with what you want) is better because of 123. Because each time you do it makes it harder for them to get a foothold.

It's like with NWSL and how some people say they won't create "NWSL Next" because college is good enough. If you want to see change you have to support the changes you want to see.
NWSL is not making enough money to pay their players good money let alone support an Academy system. I get the feeling there will be several women's "professional leagues" that come and go in the near term problem is they can't get enough gate to support themselves. NWSL may eventually get there with the TV deal but like WNBA I don't see the league coming close to MLS. There will be "events" where they draw 40k fans but think the average is still going to be below 10k average across the league for NWSL. If only women were as obsessed with sports as men are.

NWSL is not making enough money to pay their players good money let alone support an Academy system. I get the feeling there will be several women's "professional leagues" that come and go in the near term problem is they can't get enough gate to support themselves. NWSL may eventually get there with the TV deal but like WNBA I don't see the league coming close to MLS. There will be "events" where they draw 40k fans but think the average is still going to be below 10k average across the league for NWSL. If only women were as obsessed with sports as men are.
Which women's sport do you think is better to watch than soccer? Personally I can't think of any.

Add in that because they run around all day female soccer players look good and are highly marketable.

Back