Rich Man Advantage in Soccer

I had a player that was a star player and we are not rich and we were willing to pay for a player who didn't have the means out of our own pockets. A couple of the other parents found out we were paying for her and they agreed to split the cost. The funniest part about it was the most well off family on the team complained about the player initially having her costs split up just like you are complaining. What that parent didn't know (didn't care to know) is that the family had a special needs kid at home among their 4 children that required a lot of care and this would have robbed this kid of the opportunity to play at the appropriate level.

Have a heart. Those that can should. We are all people here at the end of the day and we should try to pass on the blessings that we receive so that we in turn may be blessed.

Think about it.

Thanks for sharing! It's great to see soccer families coming together to help out one of their own. The majority of us are lucky to be able to pay for competitive soccer, even if it means cutting back on other things. But there are those that can't take the time off work to drive to games, or even pay the gas to make those weekly drives. Some of these kids play in the Mexican league, or just in the park with friends. I'm sure there is a lot of untapped talent out there due to families not being able to afford club soccer.

I had a player that was a star player and we are not rich and we were willing to pay for a player who didn't have the means out of our own pockets. A couple of the other parents found out we were paying for her and they agreed to split the cost. The funniest part about it was the most well off family on the team complained about the player initially having her costs split up just like you are complaining. What that parent didn't know (didn't care to know) is that the family had a special needs kid at home among their 4 children that required a lot of care and this would have robbed this kid of the opportunity to play at the appropriate level

Have a heart. Those that can should. We are all people here at the end of the day and we should try to pass on the blessings that we receive so that we in turn may be blessed.

Think about it.

I agree in principle in this post; however, the receipant should volunteer time to assist the parents in other activities such as bringing the bench, Ez up, or double duty at tounaments or fundrasiers. My experience in assisting funds with a family was that they did not help in anything, and did not show any appreciation whatsoever. SO after this behavior, i was completely turned off!

Thanks for sharing! It's great to see soccer families coming together to help out one of their own. The majority of us are lucky to be able to pay for competitive soccer, even if it means cutting back on other things. But there are those that can't take the time off work to drive to games, or even pay the gas to make those weekly drives. Some of these kids play in the Mexican league, or just in the park with friends. I'm sure there is a lot of untapped talent out there due to families not being able to afford club soccer.
I bet a lot of the families who have a talented player in the hispanic league, probably aren't aware of the benefits of club soccer or probably don't care about it either.

I agree in principle in this post; however, the receipant should volunteer time to assist the parents in other activities such as bringing the bench, Ez up, or double duty at tounaments or fundrasiers. My experience in assisting funds with a family was that they did not help in anything, and did not show any appreciation whatsoever. SO after this behavior, i was completely turned off!

I hear you but I don't do things for others expecting anything even gratitude. I was given a lot of great opportunities growing up and I am just grateful for what I have. That's just me and isn't a judgement on anyone else.

I bet a lot of the families who have a talented player in the hispanic league, probably aren't aware of the benefits of club soccer or probably don't care about it either.

I agree. And sadly, these kids won't get the kind of exposure needed to be successful, even if they have the talent.

That's exactly where the player played. Her parents would come to the games that were local but financially it was a burden to travel very far from central Orange county. The girl is a sweetheart and her parents are good, hard working people. I don't think that many of these soccer parents on this forum understand how blessed they truly are.

I hear you but I don't do things for others expecting anything even gratitude. I was given a lot of great opportunities growing up and I am just grateful for what I have. That's just me and isn't a judgement on anyone else.

I agree again in principle, but a simple thank you goes a long way!

How many Asians do you see on the field? African American kids? Give me a break. One or two doesn't mean "well represented"
Just saw at least 30 African American kids at the most recent AYSO Extra tournament in Riverside. Approx. 8 different teams, mostly girls teams. I usually see 1-2 Asian kids per team as well. If they so choose, they play. The boys might be different as I'm usually watching girls games with other parents and their kids. I think it is more a reflection on what sports they have grown up with and what sports they want to play, not a lack of access.

The ability to do things by yourself make soccer and basketball easy sports to get into. Get a ball, find a wall. My daughter dribbles a basketball at least 45 minutes every day, plus she is playing with the soccer ball another 45 minutes every day. She loves it, and can do either on her own, at almost zero cost. At her middle school basketball and soccer are two of the sports they play at lunch time. 5 times a week, 40+ weeks.

Just saw at least 30 African American kids at the most recent AYSO Extra tournament in Riverside. Approx. 8 different teams, mostly girls teams. I usually see 1-2 Asian kids per team as well. If they so choose, they play. The boys might be different as I'm usually watching girls games with other parents and their kids. I think it is more a reflection on what sports they have grown up with and what sports they want to play, not a lack of access.

The ability to do things by yourself make soccer and basketball easy sports to get into. Get a ball, find a wall. My daughter dribbles a basketball at least 45 minutes every day, plus she is playing with the soccer ball another 45 minutes every day. She loves it, and can do either on her own, at almost zero cost. At her middle school basketball and soccer are two of the sports they play at lunch time. 5 times a week, 40+ weeks.
Yeah, I'm 100% positive you saw that many.

You don't think there were 30 African American players at a AYSO tournament. There are easily that many at any club tournament or college showcase.
Doesn't matter what color the kids are, if you can afford it, play and if you can't, don't, but don't tell me I have to make up someone's fees.
There is always REC, YMCA, YWCA or the Boys and Girls Club.
And what's with the all Asians are rich comment?

We had a pretty good player on my son's team whose family couldn't afford much of anything. I thought I was being a good scout by sometimes giving him rides to out-of-town tournaments, letting him stay in our room, and buying him dinner from time to time. I didn't find out until the end of the third year that the coach was paying most of his registration fees and the team manager was kicking in his share of the team fund.

Doesn't matter what color the kids are, if you can afford it, play and if you can't, don't, but don't tell me I have to make up someone's fees.
There is always REC, YMCA, YWCA or the Boys and Girls Club.
And what's with the all Asians are rich comment?
What are you posting about? I didn't posted Asians are rich, I posted they can afford to play club soccer. Big difference!

I also didn't post families need to pay for a player who can't afford the club soccer fees. Then again, Girls DA will be paying for those in need anyway, ha!

And if your DD does play club soccer. I would bet there is at least 1 player that is scholarshipped or club fees are reduced per team, because of financial hardship.

What are you posting about? I didn't posted Asians are rich, I posted they can afford to play club soccer. Big difference!

I also didn't post families need to pay for a player who can't afford the club soccer fees. Then again, Girls DA will be paying for those in need anyway, ha!

Don't worry about loser joe. He has admitted he only comes here to post lies and piss people off. Don't feed the troll.

Extra training and coaching may make a difference in the ulitte stage but eventually talent wins out. Money can't buy ability. It can buy access though. The kids of famous athletes almost never reach anywhere close to the same level of success despite having the genes and exposure at young ages like Michael Jordan's kids.

We had a pretty good player on my son's team whose family couldn't afford much of anything. I thought I was being a good scout by sometimes giving him rides to out-of-town tournaments, letting him stay in our room, and buying him dinner from time to time. I didn't find out until the end of the third year that the coach was paying most of his registration fees and the team manager was kicking in his share of the team fund.
Before my daughters current coach passed on his last boys team (which was last year) he and the assistant coach sponsored between 4-6 of the players by giving up a part of their monthly income to pay for them. They did this for several years.

And if your DD does play club soccer. I would bet there is at least 1 player that is scholarshipped or club fees are reduced per team, because of financial hardship.
I agree, I told the coach I don't want to know about it.

Don't worry about loser joe. He has admitted he only comes here to post lies and piss people off. Don't feed the troll.
Grampa, did you miss your dose today? Today is WED.
BTW, I thought that was a very harmless post between me and my buddy NG.

Back