Referee behavior?

As the name suggests, soccer newbie here. Is it normal for a referee to threaten a yellow card after a player takes a moment to compose themselves after getting smacked in the face with a ball?

No big story. Just used to refs asking the player if they are ok after obviously getting hit instead of running to them and saying get up or I'm going to give you a yellow. It's not like the player was down on the ground for a long time but knelt down for a second. The ref literally ran over saying that as soon as it happened.

That seems like a very odd situation. Especially with all of the importance of head injury recognition that has been pressed on referees and coaches the past few years.
Was it the end of the match with a 1 goal lead? Was the team wasting a time prior to this? Was the coach yelling for him to "take his time"?

I think this came down from FIFA last week as standard practice to implemented immediately by all referees at all levels.

Getting smacked in the face with the ball can be a serious injury actually. At one of my son's game defender took one in the jaw and was down for a while. Play continued for a bit before his team evenutally kicked it out and one of the trainers went out to take a look, he was bleeding from the mouth and swelling already. We later found out he suffered a jaw fracture.

Have no idea about what age group or anybody's behavior in this instance but when anybody is down erroring on the side of caution seems prudent.

Another story of an incident that didnt look too bad.
Playing adult co-ed this Fall. Old person soccer. Out for a good run and not crazy competitive.
Keeper punts a ball past the halfline. Ball comes down and hits an unsuspecting female player on the side of the head. Looked like it grazed the side of her face/head. She walked off the field and was clearly a bit hurt.
Found out the next day that she was in the hospital with a detached retina.

When my DD gets hit with the ball and is laying on the ground crying, I may or may not be the one on the sidelines telling her to rub some dirt on it and suck it up, and telling the ref to give her a card if she doesn't get up.

Bad parent, or greatest parent ever?

When my DD gets hit with the ball and is laying on the ground crying, I may or may not be the one on the sidelines telling her to rub some dirt on it and suck it up, and telling the ref to give her a card if she doesn't get up.

She will soon outgrow the crying thing. The concussion thing? Maybe not.

I once had a ref threaten to card me when I yelled at my daughter to get up and play. To be fair I knew she was fine and our group u10 girls were going through a faze where they were taking turns laying on the ground crying. My daughter told me afterwards she felt left out because she never got hurt so when she got knocked down she felt she needed to be a good teammate.

No big story. Just used to refs asking the player if they are ok after obviously getting hit instead of running to them and saying get up or I'm going to give you a yellow. It's not like the player was down on the ground for a long time but knelt down for a second. The ref literally ran over saying that as soon as it happened.
Was this towards the end of the game? Was your son's team winning? Was the other team screaming about stalling play prior to the incident?

My son got a yellow card in a HS game by yelling "Get in the box Joe*" (*not his real name) when his team had a corner kick. Joe even came and told the ref that was what my son said. The ref then asked my son his age. When he replied with his age, the ref said "Don't talk back to me". While this ref was an anomaly, crappy refs do exist.

As the name suggests, soccer newbie here. Is it normal for a referee to threaten a yellow card after a player takes a moment to compose themselves after getting smacked in the face with a ball?
Another thought. Did your kid maybe drop a swear word after getting hit? Wouldn’t blame him if he did. Taking a ball to the face stings like crazy.

Another thought. Did your kid maybe drop a swear word after getting hit? Wouldn’t blame him if he did. Taking a ball to the face stings like crazy.
I make my kid drop a swear word after every touch, his vocab has has expanded tremendously! I now have him negotiate my cable contract with AT&T and am saving more $$$ than ever!

I always at swearing to be similar to spitting. As long as it is not directed at someone, it's just clearing out the mouth.

Back