Ref Job

etc1217

SILVER ELITE
My DD wants to make some extra cash this summer, she took the certification to be a ref about two years ago and she reffed AYSO U10 and below as an AR but hasn't done anything recent. To be honest, not sure what type of cert she has.

So I got a few questions:
Does she need to be re-certified? If so, are there different levels per cert?
How/Where does she register to ref games that actually pay?
Is there a good link with all this information?

Any other information you can provide would be most helpful.

Thanks.

My DD wants to make some extra cash this summer, she took the certification to be a ref about two years ago and she reffed AYSO U10 and below as an AR but hasn't done anything recent. To be honest, not sure what type of cert she has.

Thanks.

http://www.calsouth.com/en/referees/

Thanks.

We re-certify every year. It sounds like she could easily get a grade 8 certification, which is basically an online test, a couple hours worth, and one weekend on-field class. Oh, and of course USSF wants their $$. Once she gets her badge, then she needs to find an association to connect with assignors in her area. Associations differ in their professionalism and the manner in which they assign, mentor, teach, etc.

The link above has connections to basically everything you need.

We re-certify every year. It sounds like she could easily get a grade 8 certification, which is basically an online test, a couple hours worth, and one weekend on-field class. Oh, and of course USSF wants their $$. Once she gets her badge, then she needs to find an association to connect with assignors in her area. Associations differ in their professionalism and the manner in which they assign, mentor, teach, etc.

The link above has connections to basically everything you need.

Baldref,
Totally understand if you don't want to answer the question, but what do you consider to be the more professional associations in Socal?

I'll only speak to the two I get assigned from. SDSRA & SDCSRA.

I am treated well by both. Wouldn't be fair to talk about my thought of the politics or policies of either in an open forum.

Baldref,
Totally understand if you don't want to answer the question, but what do you consider to be the more professional associations in Socal?

I agree with Baldref on the two San Diego associations. I have also had good experiences working for SGVSRA (San Gabriel Valley), TCSRA (Tri-County, Ontario/San Bernardino area), and OCSRA (Orange County). I had some bad experiences with LBSRA (Long Beach) mainly because the refs they had me working with were really out of shape and just walked around the field and were to far away from play to even make the correct call. Whichever association you go with make sure they have a mentor program for new and youth referees.

?..."Wouldn't be fair to talk about my thought of the politics or policies of either in an open forum.

Smart man. I don't care about the politics as long as get assigned to games to ref and the association backs me up if there is a problem.

baldref is right and if you get certified as Intermediate in AYSO you just need to have your RRA sign the cross-transfer paperwork for association to USSF - saves some $$

Thanks.

My understanding AYSO does not pay, so she will need to get her Grade 8 with USSF. With regard to the Referee Association, that is the group that is hired by the various tournaments and leagues to schedule and assign referees. You are going to want to find a Referee Association that is local to your area. You may also want to see if the local recreational leagues, not AYSO, bring and referees and pay them, which often occurs without the use of a Referee Association.

In my area, Temecula, the local recreational League will bring referees and pay them anywhere from 8 to $20 a game. After about a year of doing that, then you can step up to the big leagues and start refereeing club soccer about joining a Referee Association. I belong to the Temecula Valley Soccer Referee Association which is a very good Association has monthly meetings and has a few facilities in its backyard.

There are other associations that are also very good, and some that quite frankly suck because they were formed for political purposes which is to get their buddies work.

Bottom line, your DD will need her grade 8 and then join a referees Association so she can start getting work.

Back