Rain again......

So as those of us in SoCal know, after years of drought it's been an unusually wet winter. And now showers are scheduled for much of LA again this weekend. Shoot!

When my DS started club, his trainer told him that he should be prepared to play in the rain-- club plays unless there's thunder and lightning. His arena scrimmage league in the winter also said the same thing. Heck, even the AYSO rules for our region say kids should play in all weather unless there's lightning. But then I found that games kept getting cancelled (and not just at our field, but at competitor fields) when it rained or even if it was sunny but it was just too muddy. Talking to one director for another club, it seems the issue is with parks & rec or schools that lease out the space...they are worried about lawsuits and insurance coverage exclusions so they close the fields. I thought it was just an AYSO thing but I guess not. Anyone else experiencing the same (Socal or otherwise)?

I think the policy is regarding danger, the cancellation is more about protecting the fields - so if it's on turf, they will play... but yeah, even a light sprinkle and many grass fields are closed! This wouldn't fly in Seattle. =)

So as those of us in SoCal know, after years of drought it's been an unusually wet winter. And now showers are scheduled for much of LA again this weekend. Shoot!

...... Talking to one director for another club, it seems the issue is with parks & rec or schools that lease out the space...they are worried about lawsuits and insurance coverage exclusions so they close the fields. I thought it was just an AYSO thing but I guess not. Anyone else experiencing the same (Socal or otherwise)?
My impression is that parks/recreation departments or school districts are more concerned about damage to the fields than lawsuits or insurance coverage. The player's cleats can really chew up the turf and the damage adds up after several games on a rainy day.

My impression is that parks/recreation departments or school districts are more concerned about damage to the fields than lawsuits or insurance coverage. The player's cleats can really chew up the turf and the damage adds up after several games on a rainy day.

Reduced cancellations due to rain is one of the reasons usually cited when cities or school districts are justifying the cost of artificial turf installation.

City of Poway cancels field permits for almost any rain on the grass fields, but almost never on the turf fields.

Back