Questions re: Typical Club Schedule (After Season Ends)

marioz

BRONZE
We are new to the club scene, and was curious to know what is the typical club schedule for this age (Boy 2009) after the season? My son's team has performed rather well, and it probably consists of 1/2 players that will play another sport in the offseason, and the other 1/2 either just finding other activities or practicing soccer on their own.

I know club tryouts run around December/January, but what is rather typical calendar schedule for lets say a Flight 1/Flight 2 post-tryouts? If there is a break, when are the breaks? Are they full breaks (no practices for a certain time) or part breaks (1 practice a week)? I know these are young kids and breaks are encouraged (for kid and parents). By the same token, curious to know what other club teams and parents recommend or see as working well.

Thank you!

When my daughter was playing at those U13 and below ages her teams would normally take a one month break from practices and games after State/National had finished sometime around March. Once she hit U14 there was really no break except for the HS season. Most of her teams would also take at least a week off over the Christmas holidays. We would always take a family vacation in the summer for 7-14 days. Only one coach gave had any problem with our summer vacations.

Dec/Jan still has tournaments going and cups. This brings ups a lot arguments over when tryouts should be done. Hell some clubs already put out a tryout schedule. get in NOW or be left out!

some clubs have winter leagues, small sided games. make your own team.
in the spring you can gather kids and put them in a league where you can bring your own team - futsal or soccer.
just have to be careful. many leagues try to poach kids in the leagues and make "combine days" which are just scouting practices for the league - just dont go to them. coaches are paranoid other clubs will take their kids, so might limit contact with coaches. I talk to the coaches, but have to know ultimately they are looking for talent.
i suggest Spring ball be very relax, no need for multiple practices, 1x a week (some clubs, like where my kiddos play still practice in the Spring). A couple teams in the league my son played at just showed up and played on game days - some teams even have kids from several clubs.

My kid played with mainly his rec friends. They got killed, but most improved and they had fun. Good memories.

Dec/Jan still has tournaments going and cups. This brings ups a lot arguments over when tryouts should be done. Hell some clubs already put out a tryout schedule. get in NOW or be left out!

some clubs have winter leagues, small sided games. make your own team.
in the spring you can gather kids and put them in a league where you can bring your own team - futsal or soccer.
just have to be careful. many leagues try to poach kids in the leagues and make "combine days" which are just scouting practices for the league - just dont go to them. coaches are paranoid other clubs will take their kids, so might limit contact with coaches. I talk to the coaches, but have to know ultimately they are looking for talent.
i suggest Spring ball be very relax, no need for multiple practices, 1x a week (some clubs, like where my kiddos play still practice in the Spring). A couple teams in the league my son played at just showed up and played on game days - some teams even have kids from several clubs.

My kid played with mainly his rec friends. They got killed, but most improved and they had fun. Good memories.

Thanks for the insight.

Every club and team is different so best bet is just ask your coach.

Thank you. The coach is lax and open to parents opinions. He said he could go either way with respect to reducing number of practices/week for a bit, or keeping it the same. I know the kids are young so at this age, so probably no major "misstep" with whatever route we take. Just want my son to continue to enjoy it, but at the same time continue with his development.

Back