Question as to lack of foul calls on collisions while heading.

Gimpyhip

BRONZE
One of the things I have noticed, primarily watching Premier league games, is how rarely fouls are called when two players go up to challenge for a ball in the air. The particular circumstances are when two players go up and one gets to the ball slightly before the opponent so wins the header and the second player hits head to head with the first. Typically when this happens the players both go down holding their heads and play is stopped for the injury. It is almost never called a foul on the player who didn't win the challenge. Is there anything specific in the laws that makes heading the ball different than kicking it for this purpose? I have never found it but the way it is called seems quite different.

It depends how they go into the challenge. If both go straight up and accidentally hit heads while trying to head the ball than no foul. If one player goes straight up and the other player goes up horizontally charging into the player than there may be a charging foul. There can also be pushing or holding while the two players are in air causing heads to bumb and a foul. I usually make these types of foul calls 1-3 times in a game usually more for boys/men. Most players "get it" when I call the second foul and stop fouling on headers. Usually the head bump with no foul happens so quickly that it can be difficult to tell who was late or if the follow through caused the bump.

If one or both players come down holding their head, than the game needs to stop immediately and the players evaluated for a head injury.

One of the things I have noticed, primarily watching Premier league games, is how rarely fouls are called when two players go up to challenge for a ball in the air. The particular circumstances are when two players go up and one gets to the ball slightly before the opponent so wins the header and the second player hits head to head with the first. Typically when this happens the players both go down holding their heads and play is stopped for the injury. It is almost never called a foul on the player who didn't win the challenge. Is there anything specific in the laws that makes heading the ball different than kicking it for this purpose? I have never found it but the way it is called seems quite different.
Well, there is no foul in the circumstance to describe. But perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're asking, if a foul were to be called, what would it be, in your opinion? I don't also see that the situation would be different with regards to kicking. A large number of spectators seem to think that a foul should be called when a player slide tackles, gets the ball cleanly and the opponent then trips on the outstretched legs. I have even seen complaints in this site lamenting this or that team was denied a "clear PK" in these circumstances.

I am thinking of the situation where the two players both go for the ball and A is a fraction later than B. B wins the ball and A is just a hair too late and ends up impacting B. If that is Player A missing the ball and kicking the foot of Player B, it is typically a foul. It just seems that the same is not true when Player A just misses the ball and gets player B's head.

I am thinking of the situation where the two players both go for the ball and A is a fraction later than B. B wins the ball and A is just a hair too late and ends up impacting B. If that is Player A missing the ball and kicking the foot of Player B, it is typically a foul. It just seems that the same is not true when Player A just misses the ball and gets player B's head.
Typically, it's not a foul in both circumstances you describe.

It depends how they go into the challenge. If both go straight up and accidentally hit heads while trying to head the ball than no foul. If one player goes straight up and the other player goes up horizontally charging into the player than there may be a charging foul. There can also be pushing or holding while the two players are in air causing heads to bumb and a foul. I usually make these types of foul calls 1-3 times in a game usually more for boys/men. Most players "get it" when I call the second foul and stop fouling on headers. Usually the head bump with no foul happens so quickly that it can be difficult to tell who was late or if the follow through caused the bump.

If one or both players come down holding their head, than the game needs to stop immediately and the players evaluated for a head injury.

Perhaps it is just more of a top pro league thing. They certainly do call things a bit differently in more than one area given the skill of the players. The bump when going up definitely happens a lot and, as you say, a couple early calls seems to take care of it.

Back