Pros and Cons of Futsal

Curious as to why you believe it does nothing for a GK? Futsal is played at a faster pace so a GK is developing their reaction time. Since they need to make quicker decisions they are working on recognizing danger quicker. Probably the biggest plus is footwork. Todays Keepers better be able to play with their feet under pressure and Futsal teaches that.

Now all of this is my opinion and yours is obviously different...

I have to agree with GKDad. I wouldn't go so far as to say it doesn't do anything for a GK...2 pluses are the reaction time is much faster in futsal because the shot is usually taken from closer, and it teaches keepers to play with the feet under pressure. But because of the floor and the compact space, I think there's additional risk for injury and also the keeper might develop some bad habits. In particular, field keepers are taught to not block with their feet, to only give up the corner if it can't be caught, to look up for the aerial shot, and to reduce the angle fast on a one v one. Futsal keepers must block with their feet, the corner isn't as dangerous, the angle isn't as severe due to the size of the playing field and the goal, and the ball because of its weight doesn't get as much elevation. My GK son sometimes plays futsal but as a field player...wouldn't want him to play as a GK in futsal.

I'll tell you the problem with Futsal in SoCal, it's waaay too expensive! At least in the San Diego area, all the "drop-in" rates are $25 per kid. I wanted to bring my daughter, son, and my son's friend to a Futsal kick-around the other day, but it would have cost the same as buying them All-Day passes at Boomers.

Futsal is great, but the pick-up games and kick-arounds are basically limited to Upper-Middle class kids and even gets expensive for them if they want to bring siblings and friends. It should really only be $5 per kid if Futsal is going to have any meaningful affect on the soccer community.

I'll tell you the problem with Futsal in SoCal, it's waaay too expensive!

Futsal is great, but the pick-up games and kick-arounds are basically limited to Upper-Middle class kids.... It should really only be $5 per kid if Futsal is going to have any meaningful affect on the soccer community.

Interesting choice of words. While I agree with you 100%, I think you fail to recognize that it is the very communities that prevents the sport from becoming more mainstream. All of club soccer is artificially inflated specifically to limit participation. As you browse this board, the board previously deleted, you will notice that while some complain of the club soccer price structure, you have many more who defend, or justify it. Why?? Speaking candid, and without the intent to offend, the reality is that if you take away club soccer, what would those "Upper-Middle class" kids do? Worse yet.... What would their parents do? For some, the ability to go back to work on Monday morning and talk about how your kid played in this tournament or that tournament is all they have. It brings meaning to their life...not passing judgement...just see it everyday. Yes, some of you will be offended but you all know what I am talking about.

So back to communities....if the voting block of the community has no problem with the high costs, there is no pressure on the cities to open up their fields to the kids of those same communities. When we were kids, we would play pick up games in the street on our block or head down to the park and play. That is no longer an option. Half of the parents won't let little Johnny play in the street and the cities won't let you assemble more than 8 kids without a permit. Tried taking my oldest down to the park a few years back for batting practice along with MY other kids to shag balls. We got kicked off the diamond and were told they were reserved for organized leagues. Middle of the day, four diamonds and we were the only ones there but told to move along. Aren't these the same fields paid for by the residents that live in the city? Since the local residents are not allowed use of the fields while they are monopolized by the big clubs with all their hundreds of kids who travel in from other cities, how do you get costs down?

Can anyone please tell me of any Futsal clinics going on or going to start in the future. My daughters clinic stopped and we would like to pick up where we started. Locations between Carmel Valley and University City would work. We have traveled farther tho.

Interesting choice of words. While I agree with you 100%, I think you fail to recognize that it is the very communities that prevents the sport from becoming more mainstream. All of club soccer is artificially inflated specifically to limit participation. As you browse this board, the board previously deleted, you will notice that while some complain of the club soccer price structure, you have many more who defend, or justify it. Why?? Speaking candid, and without the intent to offend, the reality is that if you take away club soccer, what would those "Upper-Middle class" kids do? Worse yet.... What would their parents do? For some, the ability to go back to work on Monday morning and talk about how your kid played in this tournament or that tournament is all they have. It brings meaning to their life...not passing judgement...just see it everyday. Yes, some of you will be offended but you all know what I am talking about.

So back to communities....if the voting block of the community has no problem with the high costs, there is no pressure on the cities to open up their fields to the kids of those same communities. When we were kids, we would play pick up games in the street on our block or head down to the park and play. That is no longer an option. Half of the parents won't let little Johnny play in the street and the cities won't let you assemble more than 8 kids without a permit. Tried taking my oldest down to the park a few years back for batting practice along with MY other kids to shag balls. We got kicked off the diamond and were told they were reserved for organized leagues. Middle of the day, four diamonds and we were the only ones there but told to move along. Aren't these the same fields paid for by the residents that live in the city? Since the local residents are not allowed use of the fields while they are monopolized by the big clubs with all their hundreds of kids who travel in from other cities, how do you get costs down?
I got kicked off a field once. My son and I were kicking the ball around behind a lit field. One of the coaches complained to a park employee that I should not be there since I was not part of their club. I guess since that club paid for the lights to be on I was not allowed to take advantage of the lights. SMH..

I'll tell you the problem with Futsal in SoCal, it's waaay too expensive! At least in the San Diego area, all the "drop-in" rates are $25 per kid. I wanted to bring my daughter, son, and my son's friend to a Futsal kick-around the other day, but it would have cost the same as buying them All-Day passes at Boomers.

Futsal is great, but the pick-up games and kick-arounds are basically limited to Upper-Middle class kids and even gets expensive for them if they want to bring siblings and friends. It should really only be $5 per kid if Futsal is going to have any meaningful affect on the soccer community.
$7 a kid Friday nights in Corona. You bring your own team or you join others, rotate play, etc. About 12-24 kids per block per age group, 90 minutes.

Kid is a keeper and usually rotates with the other kids at keeper. Likes to play the field anyways, helps her footwork.

$7 a kid Friday nights in Corona. You bring your own team or you join others, rotate play, etc. About 12-24 kids per block per age group, 90 minutes.

Kid is a keeper and usually rotates with the other kids at keeper. Likes to play the field anyways, helps her footwork.
Where in Corona?

YES.....but with less coaching, maybe none at all. Let them play freestyle and have fun!

Sometimes the best coach is free play. Allow the kids to have a chance to explore and discover on their own. Its an important part of development not just in soccer.

True futsal is played on hard courts or futsal courts made by sport courts . Programs like this toque and couple others are playing on basketball courts and concrete courts. They are basically glorified street soccer with a couple gimmicks attached . There are several so called futsal programs popping up in so cal but non of them are implementing true futsal .
San Diego futsal does a great job and futsal picante but even them don't match futsal from Brazil and east coast USA .
Futsal is great but there are a lot of water down versions and wannabes out there

True I have seen a lot of futsal popping up in San Diego. Some or not so legit but in the end if you find a quality coach and your child is showing progress in a positive environment that should be the most important thing to look for. As for Brazil futsal it's too far to travel there for weekly classes so it's pointless to compare.

619 Futsal is great but I wish there where more competitive leagues. 619 Futsal is border line recreational and is too expensive for an 8 game season. Also I don't see many tournaments. As for their regional team tryouts you need to have the $$$ to even consider it. Its too bad cause I see a lot of talented kids that don't have the money for a regional travel team. I have also heard that the process is kind of bias towards returning families that show they can afford it. Why even bother paying all that money to tryout.

Again - Futsal is a MINIMAL CONTACT SPORT and it involves pure TECHNIQUE! Players will tag along and understand this concept and it does change the way they play - which in the end does make a HUGE difference for a goalkeepers standpoint. We do recommend some knee pads, elbow pads, and some special futsal keeping gloves as well, but if you are asking me if it is dangerous and recommend kids to stay away from that position - I will highly disagree. You have several parents saying it's dangerous and others loving it. My suggestion - take it or leave it - is to have an open mind and have them experience the game.

From what my son's former futsal coach taught him futsal is not about physical play but rather skill, and good quick decisions. That concept translated to him being a noticeably better player on the outdoor field. I only wish my son would have gotten more futsal as a younger player. Its funny that he plays in college now but still talks about his futsal days as a key turning point in his development.

Again - Futsal is a MINIMAL CONTACT SPORT and it involves pure TECHNIQUE! Players will tag along and understand this concept and it does change the way they play - which in the end does make a HUGE difference for a goalkeepers standpoint. We do recommend some knee pads, elbow pads, and some special futsal keeping gloves as well, but if you are asking me if it is dangerous and recommend kids to stay away from that position - I will highly disagree. You have several parents saying it's dangerous and others loving it. My suggestion - take it or leave it - is to have an open mind and have them experience the game.
I think it should be said, instead, that futsal is meant to be a minimal contact sport. But in reality, you have a lot of outdoor soccer players playing on a smaller indoor field who are not accustomed to the skills-only aspect of futsal. Another item worth mentioning is that the harder surface can be bad on the knees. My daughter never complained about her knees hurting until after a futsal tournament. Futsal is a great tool to help develop players...but just be mindful that there is some level of risk involved.

Curious as to why you believe it does nothing for a GK? Futsal is played at a faster pace so a GK is developing their reaction time. Since they need to make quicker decisions they are working on recognizing danger quicker. Probably the biggest plus is footwork. Todays Keepers better be able to play with their feet under pressure and Futsal teaches that.

Now all of this is my opinion and yours is obviously different...

I agree with you 100%

Can anyone please tell me of any Futsal clinics going on or going to start in the future. My daughters clinic stopped and we would like to pick up where we started. Locations between Carmel Valley and University City would work. We have traveled farther tho.

We will have some coming up in the winter and spring. We are working on schedules right now. Will notify you when finalized.

Back