Positive Coaching Experiences

splinter

SILVER
I was hoping we could get some positive feedback on some of the great coaches that are out there teaching our dds. So I will start with examples from my experience with one of my dds. After playing for a very direct coach for years with little to no play out of the back my dd that plays center back had little to no experience with having the keeper roll out the ball to her each time and having to make quick decisions with the ball. Her coach did a great job teaching her how to play on the defensive side of the ball but was also quite vocal when mistakes were made. In our first practice game last month under one of our new coaches, CB at Slammers, he was adamant that the girls play the ball out of the back every time. This led to quite a few mistakes from my dd. Along with playing a new style we were also playing an 03 team so the girls were bigger and faster. He never once yelled at her during the game and instead he offered words of encouragement during the game. After the game coach Bull saw my dd was a little upset with herself and pulled her aside and told her that her ideas with the ball were great she just needed to work on her execution. After that game rather than being upset my dd came over to me and let me know what her coach had told her and let me know that she wanted my help to improve her "execution". She now does 30 minutes with the ball on her own each day and we are playing futsal to improve her touch. I don't know if CB realizes what a major difference he has made for my dd this year but I am extremely grateful.

I will throw in a second one since I have twins. At U9 my dd was playing up and in our first tournament we went to pks in the final. My dd was the last to take one and missed. We lost as she was the only one that missed. The very next weekend we were playing in another tournament and as luck would have it during the first game our player was taken down in the box and we were awarded a pk. Our coach Hamid at Greater LB asked who wanted to take it and my dd was one of the players who raised her hand. Even though she was the only one to miss the week before he picked her to take it. She went on to make the pk and to this day she is not afraid to take them and if she misses she knows it isn't the end of the world. A lot of coaches would have been more worried about the win but he gave my dd a chance to redeem herself and to this day our family still talks about it.

Yes, Craig is a high-quality coach. If my dd has an opportunity later to play for CB again, I think we would jump at the chance.

Probably the most positive coaching environment she has been a part of in her soccer life.

Before the age group shift my oldest trained with Craigs 03s for a couple of months as we anticipated her looking for a new team. He was organized, focused, knowledgeable, and critical all the while being respectful of my daughter as a person. He struck the right balance between pushing the girls while not losing their confidence or respect for him as a coach and person.

Clint Murray and Andy Winn were very good coaches for my daughter, but Sombitch did miracles with her game teaching her how to eat hot dogs 10 minutes before game-time, paint everything green, and apply everything she already knew without saying a word.
Now with Don Hodgson and very thankful for his approach and long-range perspective.

Clint Murray and Andy Winn were very good coaches for my daughter, but Sombitch did miracles with her game teaching her how to eat hot dogs 10 minutes before game-time, paint everything green, and apply everything she already knew without saying a word.
Now with Don Hodgson and very thankful for his approach and long-range perspective.
Ditto on Andy Winn, great coach and great person!

Clint Murray...outstanding teacher for youngers. Just the right amount of instruction while keeping it fun and engaging. Instills a real passion for the sport.

Back