Pick-up soccer is in full swing with kids

As a coach, I must say, it is refreshing seeing so many kids playing pick-up soccer, at least here in Norcal. Usually, pick up soccer is mostly played by adults. Our Kids usually have so many other sports to attend e.g, games, tournaments, that they have no time to do what is actually the most beneficial part of any sport, free play. Not worrying about what the coach will say when little Johnny decides to chip the ball for a pass without hearing the coach scream, "keep it on the ground Johnny!!", or god forbid, little Johnny decides to dribble through a few players, "keep it simple!!". Too bad it took Covid for this to unfold. I am sure this will be short lived as coaches are eager to start their seasons and parents are ready to start paying an arm and a leg for their kids to be over coached.

I'm looking at getting four teams together this fall for 04s and 05s. Coach Tech ((IE), Coach Kicker ((LA South Bay)), Coach Buck ((OC)) and we need a coach in SD. Coach Buck, I will be TM and head recruiter. Let's plan this out if school and soccer is closed.

We're going to see a lot of Latino league and futsal this fall too. If you close the salons, they'll do garage haircuts. If you close the bars, they'll have private parties. If you close the soccer fields, they'll just do pickup games.
LOL. Funny thing, this is not happening just in Latino Neighborhoods, I am witnessing kids soccer pick-up games in white neighborhood, shock! Lots of bike riding, kids playing basketball, football, you name it. We coaches/parents are killing the fun. It almost looks like the 70' & 80's out there when kids organized their own games and youth sports was not a business.

Yes! Here in NorCal my son and his friends been playing pick up soccer for the last couple months… They even organized a 3v3 tournament and had 16 teams participate. Each team had a $15 buy in and winner take all. This weekend there’s an 11 V 11 game that they organized. No coaches, no parents, no referees. They are having a blast!

Yes! Here in NorCal my son and his friends been playing pick up soccer for the last couple months… They even organized a 3v3 tournament and had 16 teams participate. Each team had a $15 buy in and winner take all. This weekend there’s an 11 V 11 game that they organized. No coaches, no parents, no referees. They are having a blast!
Love it!!!

LOL. Funny thing, this is not happening just in Latino Neighborhoods, I am witnessing kids soccer pick-up games in white neighborhood, shock! Lots of bike riding, kids playing basketball, football, you name it. We coaches/parents are killing the fun. It almost looks like the 70' & 80's out there when kids organized their own games and youth sports was not a business.
Before and after a mountain bike ride last week, we saw at least 20 teenage boys come out of the open space area on mountain bikes. My friend asked one of them if the internet was down.

It's time for pick up girls soccer. One thing Tad always told me ((the old days)) "girls don;t play pick up soccer or watch soccer on tv." He was 99% right. I did know a few girls who watched and played every single day to be the best and that is all ok with me. I now think we can at least get some pick up games going. PM me if anyone is in need of a scrappy player and will play wherever the Coach deems appropriate. Let's play ball!!!

It sure is, girls can do all the private training in the world, but nothing will prepare better than street ball. The good news is that I have seen some girls out there mixing it up with the boys, facing tough opposition is the best way to get better, cones and/or organized soccer alone will not do the job.

I hope this is truly spontaneous. I do know on the basketball side that there have been some indoor pick up games facilitated by coaches. Although the coaches don't actively participate in coaching, they do send out a text of when and where....usually at the last minute. Free play is cool, just cooler when kids create it on their own without being directed by parents or coaches.

Any pick up games in the South Bay in the U17/U18 age range? My son and some his teammates are sick of social distancing training and want a real scrimmage.

We are seeing alot of Pickup games in Vegas too. Coed games with high schoolers and college kids. great run and fun for them

Back