Penalty kicks

socalkdg

PREMIER
This past weekend we faced a team that had beat us 4-0 and 3-0. Only 11 players for us, daughter makes 15 plus saves, only goal on a corner that the player guarding the post moves out of the way when the ball comes towards her. We manage to tie in 2nd half at 1-1, so on too penalty kicks.

She has had better than .500 success vs penalty kicks, thus I liked our chances and was really proud of the team.

She guesses wrong on the 1st kick and looks bad, then guesses right on the next two, but one is low and past her outstretch hand, then next hits top right corner. We score on all three of ours as well, neither keeper has even got a hand on a ball yet as the girls are shooting really well. So 3-3. 4th sees another great kick by the other team, we then miss our first shot going over the top bar. Down 4-3, they clinch on another fine shot.

All the girls go out to let my daughter know things are fine. What do I notice, the girl that missed our only kick is crying, my daughter has her arm around her, consoling her. No crying at all from her.

Penalty kicks are a crazy thing for our keepers (and us parents). She has an amazing game, getting us to the tie, then comes up short on the penalty kicks, all of which were strong by the other team. None of which gets her too high or too low.

Sounds like your team has a good bunch of girls on it and are a good team. I think the parents are more nervous than the kids.

Well, the other thing about PKs is that there isn't a whole lot of consensus out there over how PKs should be defended. Some say guess, some say react. Some say step forward, others say don't. And the little data out there seems to show it might not even make a difference.

My own 2 cents is that PKs are a stupid way to resolve games and it says more about the skill of the strikers than the goalkeeper. If you want to see a real test of a goalkeepers skill, and don't have the time to do a sudden death, do the one v ones that the MLS used to use to resolve games. The striker still has the advantage but a good goalkeeper could really make a difference there. There's a large plurality out there globally that the PK rules have to change so I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a movement to push FIFA in a direction.

Well, the other thing about PKs is that there isn't a whole lot of consensus out there over how PKs should be defended. Some say guess, some say react. Some say step forward, others say don't. And the little data out there seems to show it might not even make a difference.

My own 2 cents is that PKs are a stupid way to resolve games and it says more about the skill of the strikers than the goalkeeper. If you want to see a real test of a goalkeepers skill, and don't have the time to do a sudden death, do the one v ones that the MLS used to use to resolve games. The striker still has the advantage but a good goalkeeper could really make a difference there. There's a large plurality out there globally that the PK rules have to change so I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a movement to push FIFA in a direction.

I remember those MLS 1v1’s to decide the game. They took way too long to execute. I would rather see the penalty spot moved from 12 yards to 14-15 yards for kicks from the mark to decide the game. I think 12 yards is appropriate for a penalty kick since the kicker should have the advantage.

I remember those MLS 1v1’s to decide the game. They took way too long to execute. I would rather see the penalty spot moved from 12 yards to 14-15 yards for kicks from the mark to decide the game. I think 12 yards is appropriate for a penalty kick since the kicker should have the advantage.

O.k. But then it's still more about the kicker's skill than that of the goalkeeper. You could move it all the way down to the center circle and take out the goalie too...have them kick from a distance to an open goal. :)

This past weekend we faced a team that had beat us 4-0 and 3-0. Only 11 players for us, daughter makes 15 plus saves, only goal on a corner that the player guarding the post moves out of the way when the ball comes towards her. We manage to tie in 2nd half at 1-1, so on too penalty kicks.

She has had better than .500 success vs penalty kicks, thus I liked our chances and was really proud of the team.

She guesses wrong on the 1st kick and looks bad, then guesses right on the next two, but one is low and past her outstretch hand, then next hits top right corner. We score on all three of ours as well, neither keeper has even got a hand on a ball yet as the girls are shooting really well. So 3-3. 4th sees another great kick by the other team, we then miss our first shot going over the top bar. Down 4-3, they clinch on another fine shot.

All the girls go out to let my daughter know things are fine. What do I notice, the girl that missed our only kick is crying, my daughter has her arm around her, consoling her. No crying at all from her.

Penalty kicks are a crazy thing for our keepers (and us parents). She has an amazing game, getting us to the tie, then comes up short on the penalty kicks, all of which were strong by the other team. None of which gets her too high or too low.
i remember doing a final one time, high level 12 year old girls maybe? there was so much pressure on these girls as we went to kicks from the mark, that a couple of them were crying before they took the kicks.

i remember doing a final one time, high level 12 year old girls maybe? there was so much pressure on these girls as we went to kicks from the mark, that a couple of them were crying before they took the kicks.
Most of our girls are still 12, and coach asked who wanted to kick and who didn't. Maybe half lifted their arm.

I asked my daughter last night what was scarier, Shooting free throws in front of her 7th grade class, playing trumpet with band last night in front of 300 people, or facing the penalty shots. She told me her hands were shaking a bit before shooting the free throws. That was what made her most nervous.

You are so correct on this, so I work my hardest to keep my mouth closed regarding PK's and how my daughter chooses to face them. While only her 2nd full year in club and at keeper, she has much more experience and instinct regarding the plays she makes.

My daughter loves PKs. She says it’s her chance to be a hero, since all the pressure is on the kickers. Better her than me!

I swear every tournament our team plays in ends in PK's. Last year my DD played a tournament when the Qtrs, Semis, AND Finals all went to Pk's. It's her favorite park of the game honestly. She's fortunate to have good instinct. One of her goalie coaches instructed her to find the crier, the one trembling, and compound on that fear. He also told her your goal is to stop JUST 1. If you stop 1, you have done your job. The pressure is on them to make it.

My daughters last two club teams and college team were almost perfect with PK shots and the keepers were good with saves because they would end all of their practices with a few rounds of PKs by all players even the keepers taking shots. One of her coaches was a little eccentric and had one of those canned air horns and would blow it or a whistle when the players were taking shots in practice. Practice makes perfect!

You are so correct on this, so I work my hardest to keep my mouth closed regarding PK's and how my daughter chooses to face them. While only her 2nd full year in club and at keeper, she has much more experience and instinct regarding the plays she makes.
Well I say Bloody Marys should be allowed and provided for the Keeper parent during PKs.

Back