OMG

Which of you idiots don’t think D1 basketball and football players should get paid?

Of course they should.
They are getting a free education, that’s more than enough.
Maybe that should be free anyway?

If the school is going to use their likeness and make money doing it the player should be paid.

I just don't think it should be in season or while the kid is in school. Once the kid graduates or leaves school then they get paid.

Which of you idiots don’t think D1 basketball and football players should get paid?

Of course they should.

I'm not sure what idiot you're referring to, unless it's yourself, but those 2 college athletes already get enough perks. At that point, they become professional athletes. I think scholarships, admission to many schools they would not have otherwise qualified for, preferential class placement, meals, free tutoring, etc, is more than enough. They're playing a sport... not working in the laundry room and nobody is forcing them to do it. But I'm sure California liberals will be stupid enough to shove this in the face of the NCAA and fuck things up like they do everything else in our state.

If the school is going to use their likeness and make money doing it the player should be paid.

I just don't think it should be in season or while the kid is in school. Once the kid graduates or leaves school then they get paid.
I guess the real question though is how much they getvpaid and who decides that. Do you pay based on performance or on revenue generated? Can a player hire an agent to negotiate a deal entering college?

Next month we are having a party for my Dad's 80th. My sister and husband are flying out and I believe my nephew is as well. All three played D1 in their respective sport so it will be interesting to hear their takes.

I'm not sure what idiot you're referring to, unless it's yourself, but those 2 college athletes already get enough perks. At that point, they become professional athletes. I think scholarships, admission to many schools they would not have otherwise qualified for, preferential class placement, meals, free tutoring, etc, is more than enough. They're playing a sport... not working in the laundry room and nobody is forcing them to do it. But I'm sure California liberals will be stupid enough to shove this in the face of the NCAA and fuck things up like they do everything else in our state.
I just don't like it when a company, like EA Sports, can use a college players likeness on a video game, make tons of money and the player gets zero.

I just don't like it when a company, like EA Sports, can use a college players likeness on a video game, make tons of money and the player gets zero.

I'd ask you this... is anyone actually buying NCAA football because they want to play Kyler Murray from Oklahoma? Maybe some... but I don't think the majority are buying it for Kyler... they're buying it for the Sooners. What I'd rather see is companies like EA being required to contribute to the programs/schools directly with the understanding that the athlete ultimately benefits from it without an exchange of actual monies. It would be a logistical challenge but I think paying players is a very slippery slope.

I'd ask you this... is anyone actually buying NCAA football because they want to play Kyler Murray from Oklahoma? Maybe some... but I don't think the majority are buying it for Kyler... they're buying it for the Sooners. What I'd rather see is companies like EA being required to contribute to the programs/schools directly with the understanding that the athlete ultimately benefits from it without an exchange of actual monies. It would be a logistical challenge but I think paying players is a very slippery slope.
Slippery is an understatement. Paying based on revenue earned for the school for anything in your likeness is not as easy as one would think. Not all schools put the players name on the jerseys so an argument can be made that anyone who wore that number has contributed to it's popularity. And don't think the women are going to be left out of this debate. Equal pay..

The shoe fit and you put it on. Of course they should be paid. They are the labor around which organizations (the NCAAA, the particular institution, the TV networks) build billion-dollar empires. How does a coach make $5m and the kid make the price of tuition? When his job is to play football or basketball for 40+ hours a week, plus travel?

That's not nearly enough. They are working so the school and its endorsement deal (nike, underarmour or adidas) and the tv networks and the coaches can make millions. They are the driver of that economy.

Except of course... without athletes like Kyler Murray, there would be no Sooners.

And that's really the point here. Are the scholarships and free books a fair return on services. Everyone agrees the athletes are providing a value to the school as the players are already getting scholarship and other financial incentives. The real question is if the caps to the scholarships and ability to trade on their athletic talents for financial gain have more to do with the schools pocketing players cut then avoiding a slippery slope.

Moreover, contracts are written everyday codifying a return on services provided. Only in the NCAA's billion dollar business model is this somehow talked about as a slippery slope.

Last edited:
Except of course... without athletes like Kyler Murray, there would be no Sooners.

And that's really the point here. Are the scholarships and free books a fair return on services. Everyone agrees the athletes are providing a value to the school as the players are already getting scholarship and other financial incentives. The question is are the caps to the scholarships and ability to trade on their athletic talents for financial gain has more to do with the schools pocketing players cut then avoiding a slippery slope.
It’s a billion dollar enterprise. Even if you limit players’ right to negotiate for the best deal going in, the tv contract and the endorsement deal and the ticket price in should all have allocations to the players. With a modest cut each kid would easily make an extra 6 figures per year for working in that universe.

It’s a billion dollar enterprise. Even if you limit players’ right to negotiate for the best deal going in, the tv contract and the endorsement deal and the ticket price in should all have allocations to the players. With a modest cut each kid would easily make an extra 6 figures per year for working in that universe.

Well in fairness... by they time you throw in books, tutors, healthcare, $65k per year to go to a private school like USC, some players Are probably earning close to $100k a year now?

That said, obviously the highest earning college athletes aren't pulling in anything close to pro player minimum salaries.

Last edited:
These fucking colleges have millions and million, tuition is out of control and will be even more if they pay college kids, it’s already corrupt just wait for billions to be thrown into the mix.

Maybe they should pay the smartest kids too?
That is the reason they are in college.

These fucking colleges have millions and million, tuition is out of control and will be even more if they pay college kids, it’s already corrupt just wait for billions to be thrown into the mix.

I will say, seeing the university cut a bunch of non-revenue generating sports is the unintended consequence that troubles me.

So what about accepting money for endorsements from local boosters. Like the local girls AYSO might have the local college team hand out trophies at the end of the year for a thousand bucks type money? Or appearing in commercials selling cars and what not for a lot of thousands. Basically removing or easing some of the restrictions?

Back