ODP

Congratulations to Cal South and all of the ODP teams that completely dominated the Region IV competition this weekend in Arizona. Cal South won at every age group. None more impressive than the 2004 girls who didn't concede a goal all weekend and put up some big numbers.
How bad does a team have to be to give up 20 goals in a game? That's really tough to do at any age level. New Mexico should find a rec tourney to participate in instead.

Does New Mexico get the same number of ODP players as CalSouth? Do all states get the same number of ODP players? I know California is split in to two regions but seriously, CalSouth should have two teams. Much larger population and obviously a lot more talent.

What is the point for our hard working 04's to travel that distance to blow teams away 20-0. Wouldn't it better just to stay local and play some club teams here... Sounds like we need to rezone.

On the other hand, what coach lets their team win 20-0? Unless you have both goalies playing striker and your forwards playing defense yet still can not stop scoring, I think it reflects poorly on a good group of kids.

On the other hand, what coach lets their team win 20-0? Unless you have both goalies playing striker and your forwards playing defense yet still can not stop scoring, I think it reflects poorly on a good group of kids.
Format essentially had the most exciting game in the Semi's as Cal South and Cal North was competitive, outside of that Cal South dominated in the 04s.

What is the point for our hard working 04's to travel that distance to blow teams away 20-0. Wouldn't it better just to stay local and play some club teams here... Sounds like we need to rezone.
Regionally Cal South has always been dominant, some years more so than others but you can always count on seeing Cal South perform well at Region IV.

I agree that a 20-0 scoreline looks bad, but I am not sure I would blame the CalSouth players and/or coach. The team travels with 18 players, right? That means there are 7 reserves to start the game with one of those reserves being the backup goalie. That means there are six outfield players that want to get into the game and show their talent. So if those players get into the game and it is already 5-0, is it fair for the coach to say to the players coming on...."hey, only play at half speed because we are killing the other team".

At the end of the day, it is the responsibility of the opponent to play better defense and stop conceding goals. I do realize that there are things a coach can do to try and keep the game from being a blowout, but these ODP games are not a "regular" game. These are really "showcase" games, so all players should play their best and at 100%.

Just my two cents.

I agree that a 20-0 scoreline looks bad, but I am not sure I would blame the CalSouth players and/or coach. The team travels with 18 players, right? That means there are 7 reserves to start the game with one of those reserves being the backup goalie. That means there are six outfield players that want to get into the game and show their talent. So if those players get into the game and it is already 5-0, is it fair for the coach to say to the players coming on...."hey, only play at half speed because we are killing the other team".

At the end of the day, it is the responsibility of the opponent to play better defense and stop conceding goals. I do realize that there are things a coach can do to try and keep the game from being a blowout, but these ODP games are not a "regular" game. These are really "showcase" games, so all players should play their best and at 100%.

Just my two cents.
You make a valid point, but you put those "reserve players in at 4 or 5 - 0. Let them play full speed ahead. At 10-0 you've got to do something to slow it down.

I have no issue with the scoreline. As pointed out these are showcase games and every player is in there to get theirs. I have more of an issue with the NM team and their ability not to be able to compete. I'm not sure they scored a goal in the entire tournament. With the results this state has put up the last few years they should seriously re-consider participating.

The entire population of New Mexico is approx 2 million. California is approx 38 million - San Diego County alone is approx 3 million.
Is ODP based on the same principals as our Senate and/or Electoral College?! :eek:
And there weren't any kids from SD County on the ODP final team.

You make a valid point, but you put those "reserve players in at 4 or 5 - 0. Let them play full speed ahead. At 10-0 you've got to do something to slow it down.

How do you tell a kid trying to impress her future college coach to slow down or stop playing your best? Not to mention that the 17th and 18th player are complete studs!! It's not like you have some scrubs somewhere on the roster that can't get it done. Also there are lots of top D1 soccer schools there watching and the kids have to do what they do to get offers. Shame on the other team for not being better. This is ODP and Cal South is always a beast. Prepare for the hurricane or get washed away in the storm!

Does New Mexico get the same number of ODP players as CalSouth? Do all states get the same number of ODP players? I know California is split in to two regions but seriously, CalSouth should have two teams. Much larger population and obviously a lot more talent.
So you read my mind. Why doesn't CalSouth warrant 2 teams (at least). I quickly glanced and its amazing:

Population:
LA County (alone): 10 million-
Orange County: 3.1 million
San Diego County: 3.2 million
Riverside County: 2.3 million
San Bernardino County: 2.1 million
Santa Barbara, Ventura, Imperial: 1.5 million

That's over 22 million people! They have a lotta little soccer kids!

For perspective: NorCal is the second largest @14 million. That's far less than CalSouth but still double the next closest ENTIRE STATE in the region which is Washington at 7 million. New Mexico has 2 million and Idaho has 1.6 million people in the whole state. The City of San Diego ALONE has 1.4 million people.

Why not divide the CalSouth region for ODP purposes and field 2 teams? Sheesh--- honestly-- how can they ever choose?

How do you tell a kid trying to impress her future college coach to slow down or stop playing your best? Not to mention that the 17th and 18th player are complete studs!! It's not like you have some scrubs somewhere on the roster that can't get it done. Also there are lots of top D1 soccer schools there watching and the kids have to do what they do to get offers. Shame on the other team for not being better. This is ODP and Cal South is always a beast. Prepare for the hurricane or get washed away in the storm!
You have waaayyy more experience at this than I so I'll ask the question.....does a 20-0 score line impress a D1 coach? I would think after 6-0 they would move on to a more competative match up.

You have waaayyy more experience at this than I so I'll ask the question.....does a 20-0 score line impress a D1 coach? I would think after 6-0 they would move on to a more competative match up.

They don't care about the score. They are there to watch individual players. As the old saying goes college coaches recruit players not teams. Dominant play in an ODP match speaks volumes. Every player on these teams will go to solid schools and which players go to the best might surprise you.

Listen to last Friday's WTF on podcast. Wynalda was at the games and describes the New Mexico game. It sounded like the New Mexico team was going to play out of the back at all costs. The goalie would pass to the outside defender on goal kicks whether she was covered or not. He said it was embarrassing for all involved. But listen to his comments and take from it what you want. I am curious to here his recap of the games over the weekend on today's show.

So you read my mind. Why doesn't CalSouth warrant 2 teams (at least). I quickly glanced and its amazing:

Population:
LA County (alone): 10 million-
Orange County: 3.1 million
San Diego County: 3.2 million
Riverside County: 2.3 million
San Bernardino County: 2.1 million
Santa Barbara, Ventura, Imperial: 1.5 million

That's over 22 million people! They have a lotta little soccer kids!

For perspective: NorCal is the second largest @14 million. That's far less than CalSouth but still double the next closest ENTIRE STATE in the region which is Washington at 7 million. New Mexico has 2 million and Idaho has 1.6 million people in the whole state. The City of San Diego ALONE has 1.4 million people.

Why not divide the CalSouth region for ODP purposes and field 2 teams? Sheesh--- honestly-- how can they ever choose?

Years ago I suggested that Cal South establish ODP feeder teams in each District. That would reduce the travel required for all players, and would spread the good coaching out to more players. For events that required a single team, the District coaches could get together and have a draft.

Back