OC Summer Invitational vs Surf Cup 2023

How and why do club teams choose one over the other? Surf Cup seems to be the more widely acknowledged tournmanet.

There are way more teams than spots in Surf Cup, so many teams don't even have a choice. Most high-level teams likely want to go to Surf, lower-level teams know they likely won't get a spot in Surf Cup, so go elsewhere.

There were 4 tournaments in San Diego this weekend (that I know of)! Surf Cup youngers, Coronado, Sporting SD, and Eli7e. While the last 3 were much smaller, it does show you there is plenty of demand

Surf Cup is associated with San Diego Surf + is a national youth soccer brand. Surf has been around since 1977, its top teams play in ECNL (both boys and girls), and they win a lot so much so that other clubs license the right to use their name for their club ie. Surf Antarctica

OC Summer Invitational is associated with Liverpool FC IA SoCal who used to be called LA Galaxy OC and before that Irvine Slammers FC. Liverpool licenses the right to use the Liverpool name and before that licensed the right to use The Galaxys name. I believe Liverpool plays their top teams on the girls side in DPL.

You can see the difference. Surf Cup has been around forever + is a known high level tournament + has connections into top clubs around the nation.

Surf Cup is associated with San Diego Surf + is a national youth soccer brand. Surf has been around since 1977, its top teams play in ECNL (both boys and girls), and they win a lot so much so that other clubs license the right to use their name for their club ie. Surf Antarctica

OC Summer Invitational is associated with Liverpool FC IA SoCal who used to be called LA Galaxy OC and before that Irvine Slammers FC. Liverpool licenses the right to use the Liverpool name and before that licensed the right to use The Galaxys name. I believe Liverpool plays their top teams on the girls side in DPL.

You can see the difference. Surf Cup has been around forever + is a known high level tournament + has connections into top clubs around the nation.

I know this is a bit off topic, but I thought you may be able to answer my question being familiar with the North County clubs. I believe there was a club called Oceanside Surf; they were around may 5-10 years ago. Am I mistaken or did they exist? I thought Oceanside Surf became LA Galaxy Carlsbad, who then became City SC? Or did Oceanside Surf become Oceanside Breakers? Seems like Breakers came on the scene about the same time O-side Surf disappeared. Or did they just disappear, or never existed? I think I recall the O-side Beach tournament was hosted by Oceanside Surf about 7 years ago. Not that is important, I'm just curious and trying to keep track in my mind a bit. Maybe the clubs got all mixed together like East County?
It's like a game of Three Card Monty in East County. Liverpool (East County) never had licensing rights to the name, didn't care. Became EC Surf, and took on a bunch of teams wholesale from Crusaders, Hotspurs, United, Sporting, Matrix, OVC, etc.. Killed all of those clubs except Crusaders and Sporting. Now a bunch of EC Surf teams are peeling away and playing as Albion SD East County.

I was just looking at Oceanside yesterday. It looks like some of their teams are starting to register as Soccer Club of Oceanside, when up until a few months ago they were registered as Oceanside Breakers. (team names match, coach names match, ratings match, their insta at https://www.instagram.com/oceansidebreakers/ is now titled Soccer Club of Oceanside)

I know this is a bit off topic, but I thought you may be able to answer my question being familiar with the North County clubs. I believe there was a club called Oceanside Surf; they were around may 5-10 years ago. Am I mistaken or did they exist? I thought Oceanside Surf became LA Galaxy Carlsbad, who then became City SC? Or did Oceanside Surf become Oceanside Breakers? Seems like Breakers came on the scene about the same time O-side Surf disappeared. Or did they just disappear, or never existed? I think I recall the O-side Beach tournament was hosted by Oceanside Surf about 7 years ago. Not that is important, I'm just curious and trying to keep track in my mind a bit. Maybe the clubs got all mixed together like East County?
It's like a game of Three Card Monty in East County. Liverpool (East County) never had licensing rights to the name, didn't care. Became EC Surf, and took on a bunch of teams wholesale from Crusaders, Hotspurs, United, Sporting, Matrix, OVC, etc.. Killed all of those clubs except Crusaders and Sporting. Now a bunch of EC Surf teams are peeling away and playing as Albion SD East County.
Carlabad Lightning -> Carlsbad United -> LA Galaxy SD -> City SC

Oceanside is harder to define because there's a "Mexican League" influence. Their teams do Socal, Beach Soccer, and Futsal in 619 league. They've been Breakers for a while. Regarding leagues they do their own thing + don't really care about ECNL or GA.

Also, Soccer Club of Oceanside is just a different name for Breakers. (They use both names)

Here's another one if youre trying to understand club histories...

SMYS (San Marcos Youth Soccer) -> San Marcos Revolution -> City SC San Marcos

I always liked the San Marcos Revolution kits. They looked very nice with dark green and black.

I was just looking at Oceanside yesterday. It looks like some of their teams are starting to register as Soccer Club of Oceanside, when up until a few months ago they were registered as Oceanside Breakers. (team names match, coach names match, ratings match, their insta at https://www.instagram.com/oceansidebreakers/ is now titled Soccer Club of Oceanside)

Also, Soccer Club of Oceanside is just a different name for Breakers. (They use both names)

Makes sense, thanks. The end result in SR for having the club name = "Oceanside Breakers", but now entering teams as "Soccer Club of Oceanside Breakers", is that the teams end up being named like this: "Oceanside Breakers SC of Black"

oceanside 1.jpgoceanside 2.jpg

Not a big deal, and it's still clear which team is being referenced - the team name just looks awkward. If going forward they are going to use the Soccer Club name more often, they can always ask SR to swap to that name for the club if they choose.

Carlabad Lightning -> Carlsbad United -> LA Galaxy SD -> City SC

Leucadia Lightning -> Carlsbad Lightning -> Carlsbad United (Lightning + Carlsbad Wave) -> LA Galaxy SD -> City SC

I believe Leucadia is where the 'Lightning' name came from but that's information from a (reliable) friend and not first-hand

OC Invitational on the girl’s side looked pretty 3rd tier. On any given summer weekend there are half a dozen tournaments. Surf Cup is Surf Cup.

Back