Not to play State/national cup

Primetime

SILVER ELITE
Anyone have any experience or thoughts on not playing state/national cup ? Doing another big tournament instead, maybe one of the two other Vegas tournaments, Phoenix Cup or something along those lines. ? I know some younger teams had to make that choice this year with state cup and Vegas cup the same weekends. Was just something I was thinking about for my team next year.

Without knowing the ages of the players on your team, do keep in mind from a life-experience standpoint that the preteens especially all wear their State Cup sweatshirts to school for weeks after the event - source of pride and kinship with other kids. (Now from a soccer development standpoint, it might be better to play in a different tournament...don't know.)

Without knowing the ages of the players on your team, do keep in mind from a life-experience standpoint that the preteens especially all wear their State Cup sweatshirts to school for weeks after the event - source of pride and kinship with other kids. (Now from a soccer development standpoint, it might be better to play in a different tournament...don't know.)
They’re 06’s so most have played a handful some as many as 5-6 state/national cups. But my question was general for most age groups. That’s always been my big argument for teams that don’t play it. It’s more for an experience and the fact everyone else is playing.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on not playing state/national cup ? Doing another big tournament instead, maybe one of the two other Vegas tournaments, Phoenix Cup or something along those lines. ? I know some younger teams had to make that choice this year with state cup and Vegas cup the same weekends. Was just something I was thinking about for my team next year.

Over the years I did or did not go to State/National Cup with various teams. We either went to Vegas Players Showcase or Phoenix Cup or both instead. Every time NOT playing at State/National was always a better experience for all involved. My take on this matter is unless you have a team with realistic chance of winning State or National Cup, it's better to play somewhere else.

Development occurs at practice. Games (whether league or at tournaments) are the exams.

Development occurs everywhere. Practices, games... you name it.

Most games a large part of the roster is sitting on the bench. In all the games I have witnessed, there is only one ball on the field, which usually means that most of the players are just getting a good view of the game.

In National Cup U13 and older, the first 2 rounds if you make it, get 6 games, please another 3-4 if you get to finals. Other tourneys, you would probably get 6 max IF you reach finals.

The one game a day is a nice but driving out to SilverLakes or whatever 6x times over 3 weekends or more just to get to the knockout rounds gets old especially mutiple years in a row. Would rather cut to the chase and have one round pool (instead of 2) play winners advance only and have fewer games but then CS couldn't sell 1st round byes via CRL so doubt they will change what makes them the most $$$.

After state cup or 1st year of Nat cup there are plenty of other tournaments, leagues, cups that teams & clubs opt for in addition or instead of. National premier leagues, us club national cup xviii, Dallas Cup #40, Vegas Tournaments, or CAL Cup if you want to play local, etc.

If you want to do something similar do the US Club Soccer one in the Sacramento area. Feeds right into their National Championship and the games are easier than National Cup. We might do that this year (in addition to Nat Cup)

Just got knocked out of the U14 State Cup. Played 6 games vs teams that we had never faced, saw different styles of play, made it to the final 8, played with 15 girls for some games, then played with 12 girls because of sickness. The kids adjusted each time. Parents and girls had a blast with the whole experience. Drive was 90 minutes to Lancaster than to Oceanside. Wouldn't have traded the experience for anything.

The one game a day is a nice but driving out to SilverLakes or whatever 6x times over 3 weekends or more just to get to the knockout rounds gets old especially mutiple years in a row. Would rather cut to the chase and have one round pool (instead of 2) play winners advance only and have fewer games but then CS couldn't sell 1st round byes via CRL so doubt they will change what makes them the most $$$.

After state cup or 1st year of Nat cup there are plenty of other tournaments, leagues, cups that teams & clubs opt for in addition or instead of. National premier leagues, us club national cup xviii, Dallas Cup #40, Vegas Tournaments, or CAL Cup if you want to play local, etc.

Not disagreeing about driving part, but is nice to play against teams you wouldn't see in your league especially if you dont play many tournaments - get to play against SCDSL teams or vice versa - CSL, etc. Bonus is if your team is good too.

I'm greedy and like tourneys and National Cup

Our daughters G98 team made it to the semi finals in National Cup and along with another team had to forfeit as they couldn't field a team due to Prom. The one's that wanted to play and still attend their prom were pretty upset, we tried to get them to switch game times with the younger teams but, no go, after all that, it really set in...it didn't matter, it's just another game. So, we decided to end our G00's at Las Vegas Player's Showcase this year, it was a great experience, very emotional for everyone, player's & parents, we had a great team dinner, handed out some really cool things for the girls to remember their team and we were lucky enough to play some of the top competition in the age group. The wins/loses didn't matter, what mattered was lacing up their boots one more time together as some of these kids had been together since they were 6 years old. A few are going off to play in college and while both of mine are, it's just not the same, enjoy this time no matter where they play.

Our daughters G98 team made it to the semi finals in National Cup and along with another team had to forfeit as they couldn't field a team due to Prom. The one's that wanted to play and still attend their prom were pretty upset, we tried to get them to switch game times with the younger teams but, no go, after all that, it really set in...it didn't matter, it's just another game. So, we decided to end our G00's at Las Vegas Player's Showcase this year, it was a great experience, very emotional for everyone, player's & parents, we had a great team dinner, handed out some really cool things for the girls to remember their team and we were lucky enough to play some of the top competition in the age group. The wins/loses didn't matter, what mattered was lacing up their boots one more time together as some of these kids had been together since they were 6 years old. A few are going off to play in college and while both of mine are, it's just not the same, enjoy this time no matter where they play.
Two years ago DD's team played a National Cup game with 9 players because CalSouth routinely schedules olders games late in the day and it conflicted with prom. The coach asked if the team wanted to forfeit but the 9 players wanted to play one last game with the seniors. They dominated the game but ended up losing 3-2. I heard the opposing coach yell to his team "You know they only have 9 players and no keepers right?"

Two years ago DD's team played a National Cup game with 9 players because CalSouth routinely schedules olders games late in the day and it conflicted with prom. The coach asked if the team wanted to forfeit but the 9 players wanted to play one last game with the seniors. They dominated the game but ended up losing 3-2. I heard the opposing coach yell to his team "You know they only have 9 players and no keepers right?"
you would think Cal South would figure this out however, it looks like they just don't care since it's been going on so long.

This year's National Cup, one of the G05 teams that moved onto the round of 16 forfeited cause they went to the Vegas showcase. Kind of a head scratcher but I guess that's what they agreed on.

This year's National Cup, one of the G05 teams that moved onto the round of 16 forfeited cause they went to the Vegas showcase. Kind of a head scratcher but I guess that's what they agreed on.
We were surprised that they had entered when our club told us we would not be able to as there were too many conflicts to make it work. Maybe a tune up before the Vegas showcase?

We were surprised that they had entered when our club told us we would not be able to as there were too many conflicts to make it work. Maybe a tune up before the Vegas showcase?
smart move on their part if they have kids that want to play in college, very few college coaches attend the National Cup games until the finals and still much fewer in numbers than the number of coaches at the Las Vegas Player's Showcase, even at the older age groups aging out, you could see the number of coaches on the sidelines...

Back