NEW ECNL CHAT

LOL. That's you're entire takeaway from that? Way to totally miss the entire point. Showcases and scheduling are just two small examples why a national league is different than a local league. Stick to NorCal NPL, my dude, and quit crying about two leagues you're not involved in.
Not the only takeaway. You also claimed that working around HS soccer seasons is a super hard scheduling problem.

There are local leagues that accomodate religious groups with two different definitions of the Sabbath. Four months blocked out for HS soccer is nothing compared to one side saying “never Saturday” and the other side saying “never Sunday”. That one is tricky.

Beyond showcases and schedules, I don’t think you made any arguments. A couple ad-hominem attacks against me, but they didn’t seem worth replying to.

off to watch Koln. got to get my priorities straight.

Not the only takeaway. You also claimed that working around HS soccer seasons is a super hard scheduling problem.

There are local leagues that accomodate religious groups with two different definitions of the Sabbath. Four months blocked out for HS soccer is nothing compared to one side saying “never Saturday” and the other side saying “never Sunday”. That one is tricky. If two states in the same conference have soccer seasons at different times of the year, that means there are 8 months of the year they can’t compete against each other. In your example of a local league planning around

Beyond showcases and schedules, I don’t think you made any arguments. A couple ad-hominem attacks against me, but they didn’t seem worth replying to.

off to watch Koln. got to get my priorities straight.
Again, scheduling and showcases were just two small examples of national league complexities, but just sticking to those two examples..... If a conference has teams from states that have their high school season at different times of the year, they can’t compete against each other for 8 months out of a 10 month season. In your example about a local league planning around Sabbath, that still leaves them with 5 out of 7 days in the week to play games, and since all the teams are within driving distance that is much simpler than planning games between teams from different states.
As far a the showcase thing is concerned, if you think planning multiple national events like an ECNL showcase at different locations all over the country is as simple as planning a local or regional event like the Tophat showcase with a very limited number of teams, I don’t know what to tell you. If you’ve been to one, you’d know the difference, and there is no comparison. It’s like comparing 7-11 to Whole Foods.

Again, scheduling and showcases were just two small examples of national league complexities, but just sticking to those two examples..... If a conference has teams from states that have their high school season at different times of the year, they can’t compete against each other for 8 months out of a 10 month season. In your example about a local league planning around Sabbath, that still leaves them with 5 out of 7 days in the week to play games, and since all the teams are within driving distance that is much simpler than planning games between teams from different states.
As far a the showcase thing is concerned, if you think planning multiple national events like an ECNL showcase at different locations all over the country is as simple as planning a local or regional event like the Tophat showcase with a very limited number of teams, I don’t know what to tell you. If you’ve been to one, you’d know the difference, and there is no comparison. It’s like comparing 7-11 to Whole Foods.
My old roommate after HS would drink a 12 pack of Coors Lite and then head over to AM/PM across the street from our house and buy two hot dogs with cheese all over it. He would then puke and then drink some more. Never met anyone like Kent, who could pound beer like that. I had the pizza slices at 7-11 and no comment. The pizza slices at whole foods is legit and super tasty :)

7-11 Pizza Slice vs Whole Foods Pizza Slice
1590341637183.png1590341682235.png

Can you see the difference?

. If a conference has teams from states that have their high school season at different times of the year, they can’t compete against each other for 8 months out of a 10 month season

ECNL and NV high school are in the fall. Our state allows club and hs play at the same time. It is difficult with the travel but all the HS coaches know ECNL comes first and players know ECNL comes first. It was a big issue a couple years ago on the girls side as the PHX Showcase fell on the same weekend as the State Championships. One team who thought they would win lost a big bulk of their starters that weekend and were very upset.

The ECNL showcases are mostly under 200 teams.

As events go, that is pretty small. Why compare it to Surf? That is deliberately misleading. By team count, a showcase is considerably smaller than most regional tournaments.

The right comparison is Draegers versus Safeway. And ECNL/GA showcases are Draegers.

ECNL and NV high school are in the fall. Our state allows club and hs play at the same time. It is difficult with the travel but all the HS coaches know ECNL comes first and players know ECNL comes first. It was a big issue a couple years ago on the girls side as the PHX Showcase fell on the same weekend as the State Championships. One team who thought they would win lost a big bulk of their starters that weekend and were very upset.
Probably safer for the kids if they gave you blackout dates for the HS season. Neither LA nor NV has a snow problem. Why play both at once? You both have 12 months of warm weather to pick from.

Probably safer for the kids if they gave you blackout dates for the HS season. Neither LA nor NV has a snow problem. Why play both at once? You both have 12 months of warm weather to pick from.
Nevada has Reno. Tough playing in the snow for them. Reno dictates the Hs soccer schedule for whatever reason. They also think they will have an easier time with the club girls being away during the Phoenix Showcase. Thus the schedule.

NV is a fall high school season for many reasons. One being, there is snow in Northern NV in the winter so fields there would be hard to come by. Most high schools do not have lighted soccer fields so games would be tough to schedule in the winter and the football fields are used for girls flag football (its a thing). There may be some sort of Title IX with the use of lights as well per one principal i asked. So we play both hs and a modified ECNL fall schedule with a heavy spring ECNL schedule.

The ECNL showcases are mostly under 200 teams.

As events go, that is pretty small. Why compare it to Surf? That is deliberately misleading. By team count, a showcase is considerably smaller than most regional tournaments.

The right comparison is Draegers versus Safeway. And ECNL/GA showcases are Draegers.
Surf Cup older girls had 200 teams in 2019. The comparison is based on the quality of the event. I'll ask you again, have you ever attended either one? It's laughable that you think you're able to compare without having ever been. If you ask anyone who's been to both, I bet they will tell you that the quality and organization of ECNL events are better than the Surf Cup.

Surf Cup older girls had 200 teams in 2019. The comparison is based on the quality of the event. I'll ask you again, have you ever attended either one? It's laughable that you think you're able to compare without having ever been. If you ask anyone who's been to both, I bet they will tell you that the quality and organization of ECNL events are better than the Surf Cup.
My first Surf Cup was amazing. It was the last year I believe of just one group, the best of the best. I have been to 5 Surf Cups and two ECNL Showcases, both in Arizona. ECNL is Lexus and old Surf Cup was Toyota. Now, Surf Cup is like a Ford Focus. Too many teams. Charge more and make it more exclusive and only bring in the best of the best and you might have a Lexus or at the very least a Toyota.

My first Surf Cup was amazing. It was the last year I believe of just one group, the best of the best. I have been to 5 Surf Cups and two ECNL Showcases, both in Arizona. ECNL is Lexus and old Surf Cup was Toyota. Now, Surf Cup is like a Ford Focus. Too many teams. Charge more and make it more exclusive and only bring in the best of the best and you might have a Lexus or at the very least a Toyota.

That was in 2016, and I agree it was great when all of the top teams were in the same Best of the Best bracket at Surf. The following year really sucked, when the GDA teams had their own bracket, they played a weekend before the other non GDA brackets, and you had multiple teams winning their bracket in the same age group claiming to be the Best of the Best and not being to play each other. There is some hope with the dissolution of the GDA, and no league having their own special bracket, it goes back to its glory days. Although with a lot of the top teams now going to Silverlakes, I don't think Surf will ever be as glorious.

You painted it as a logistical challenge. The logistical challenge is not high level olders. The hard logistics are low level youngers. More kids and more parents per acre.

The Surf I know is the youngers madhouse. As Dominic said, a ton of fun. But a much larger logistics challenge than an event with 2000 kids.

My dd had the honor to play in 4 of 4 Monday Surf Cup Finals and come out on top of two of them. Last year sucked!!! No playoffs, just three showcase games with zero Ganas. Plus, they had three groups and someone decided who the "best of the best" were and it pissed others off. All GDA too. Go figure........Not a smart marketing move at all!!! That was dumb!!! But hey, what do I know. Get back to the basics and what brought you the brand that it is today, "Best of the Best on the West Coast Surf Cup 2020"

Last edited:
They did make their own awesome league. It’s called GA.

Best of all, GA can solve their travel problems by taking a page from the ECNL playbook and accepting lots of good, but not exceptional, clubs. Without head to head competition, parents won’t know the difference.

ECNL can tell a story about how they are the only top league in the country with top teams like Blues. GA can tell a story about how they are the real top league, with great teams like Top Hat. And we can all drive past each other on our way to our diluted “elite” games.

Thanks, Slammers. Thanks, Blues. Great system. Genius.
Is your club in the ECNL Regional League? If so, I suspect your DOC does care a lot about being in ECNL. Did your club try to get into ECNL? If so I suspect your DOC cares a lot about being in ECNL.
You are obviously a parent of a ulittle or a player just entering the league with
I presume there is something like an annual fee the clubs pay to ECNL or GA for each season to cover administration. Since GA has no infrastructure for this, are the fees higher? If the fed couldn't support it, it seems like GA costs have to now be covered by the membership. How does this work?
Probably quite well since US soccer screwed everyone to fund their youth national teams and their international competition and pay high salaries to themselves.

You are obviously a parent of a ulittle or a player just entering the league with

Probably quite well since US soccer screwed everyone to fund their youth national teams and their international competition and pay high salaries to themselves.
1590430776731.png

Yep. Just ulittle. A ton of things I dont get yet.

I have officially retired from Politics and Religion on social forums. I will stay on point and only talk Soccer from now on :)

What does elephant in room mean?
an elephant in the room. informal. If you say there is an elephant in the room, you mean that there is an obvious problem or difficult situation that people do not want to talk about. Difficult situations and unpleasant experiences. a (heavy) cross to bear idiom

Back