National Cup

So Beach qualified for USYS Regionals by winning CRL, and Legends qualified for USYS Nationals through National League.

What happens if we end up with a Beach vs. Legends final, or if one of them wins this thing, which seems very possible? Does Calsouth National Cup then produce no additional Calsouth entrant to Regionals? Would the runner-up, or the third place team, actually get an invite?

So Beach qualified for USYS Regionals by winning CRL, and Legends qualified for USYS Nationals through National League.

What happens if we end up with a Beach vs. Legends final, or if one of them wins this thing, which seems very possible? Does Calsouth National Cup then produce no additional Calsouth entrant to Regionals? Would the runner-up, or the third place team, actually get an invite?
I believe that's how it works. The invite would extend to next place finisher in both CRL and National Cup. I think this situation occurred a couple years ago in one of the age groups.

Since Legends I qualified for the National Championship, most likely they will pass on Region IV championship. And if Beach wins National Cup, they will go to Region IV as the CalSouth State Champion. Then the other bid from CalSouth would go to the next in line in CRL standings, which is Legends I. And if Legends I passes on it, then it would go to Legends II. The Finalist in National Cup isn't in the mix at all. This happened in 2014 when So Cal Blues won National Cup and CRL, CalSouth got 3 bids: (1) CalSouth state champ, (2) CRL CalSouth champ, and (3) default for CRL CalNorth champ due to insufficient # of teams participating in CRL CalNorth. So Cal Blues went as the State champ, The 2 remaining bids went to #2 (Fullerton Rangers) and #3 (Legends) in CRL standings.

However, if Legends I wins National Cup but passes on Region IV, then the Finalist gets the spot as the default state champ. And if the Finalist is Beach, then the above scenario would apply. If Beach is not the Finalist, then whichever team is the Finalist would represent CalSouth as the state champion. Now all of the above would be moot if Legends I decides to also go to Region IV.

In essence, this year CalSouth should get 2 bids for Region IV: winner of CRL and winner of CalSouth state champ via National Cup. Beach already secured one spot as CRL winner.

Since Legends I qualified for the National Championship, most likely they will pass on Region IV championship.

Thanks for clarifying, much appreciated.
Are there any Legends parents on the board who could confirm or deny this statement?

If Legends Academy I were to win National Cup, we would pass on Regionals. The team is already planning/preparing to go to Frisco, Texas in July for the National Championships.

Since Legends I qualified for the National Championship, most likely they will pass on Region IV championship. And if Beach wins National Cup, they will go to Region IV as the CalSouth State Champion. Then the other bid from CalSouth would go to the next in line in CRL standings, which is Legends I. And if Legends I passes on it, then it would go to Legends II. The Finalist in National Cup isn't in the mix at all. This happened in 2014 when So Cal Blues won National Cup and CRL, CalSouth got 3 bids: (1) CalSouth state champ, (2) CRL CalSouth champ, and (3) default for CRL CalNorth champ due to insufficient # of teams participating in CRL CalNorth. So Cal Blues went as the State champ, The 2 remaining bids went to #2 (Fullerton Rangers) and #3 (Legends) in CRL standings.

However, if Legends I wins National Cup but passes on Region IV, then the Finalist gets the spot as the default state champ. And if the Finalist is Beach, then the above scenario would apply. If Beach is not the Finalist, then whichever team is the Finalist would represent CalSouth as the state champion. Now all of the above would be moot if Legends I decides to also go to Region IV.

In essence, this year CalSouth should get 2 bids for Region IV: winner of CRL and winner of CalSouth state champ via National Cup. Beach already secured one spot as CRL winner.
Beach Academy and Fullerton Rangers are out

Sort of interesting how the '02 group is shaking out to the last 8 this year. 6 of the 8 teams had to play in from round 1 to get into round 2. Only 2 (FRAM & Legend FC Academy) had a bye for round 1. Additionally of the 6 round 1 play in teams most of the top ranked teams are not there any more. Initial rankings for the remaining teams are Legends - 2, FRAM - 4, Blues Holley - 12, Slammers Reserve - 14, Blues Farrell - 17, Liverpool - 19, DMVC Sharks - 20 and Arsenal EGSL - 56!

Overall I think it speaks to the disruption that the birth year change has had in turning so many teams upside down and making continuity from season to season a challenge for teams, coaches & clubs. Probably more of the same to continue with DA, DA II, ECNL II, etc, etc.

Sort of interesting how the '02 group is shaking out to the last 8 this year. 6 of the 8 teams had to play in from round 1 to get into round 2. Only 2 (FRAM & Legend FC Academy) had a bye for round 1. Additionally of the 6 round 1 play in teams most of the top ranked teams are not there any more. Initial rankings for the remaining teams are Legends - 2, FRAM - 4, Blues Holley - 12, Slammers Reserve - 14, Blues Farrell - 17, Liverpool - 19, DMVC Sharks - 20 and Arsenal EGSL - 56!

Overall I think it speaks to the disruption that the birth year change has had in turning so many teams upside down and making continuity from season to season a challenge for teams, coaches & clubs. Probably more of the same to continue with DA, DA II, ECNL II, etc, etc.
It seems like teams have been experiencing more injuries this year too. Between injuries and Club/Team movement, teams are struggling a little towards the end of the year.

Other observations from this weekend:

- Only one future DA club made it through (understanding current ECNL teams are absent). No Pats, Beach, LAGSD, LAGSB (the MLS DA proxy it seems), Albion nor LA Premier.
- Only one CSL Premier team advanced, but a CSL Gold team is alive as well (Liverpool).
- Future ECNL teams Slammers reserve, Del Mar Sharks, Blues 2nd teams (assuming Baker 02 staying ECNL is a myth) all made it through, as did the Arsenal 2nd team, a lot of whom may be part of their ECNL team next year if current Arsenal ECNL loses players to DA.
- A whole lot of Slammers, Blues and Legends uniforms out there.
- The top half of the bracket seems wide open with the surprise departure of Beach.

Make of it what you want. No doubt a lot will change next year.

Big time props to Slammers Reserve. I questioned them even getting a spot in second round after finishing 3rd in thier bracket in first round, but look at them now. They could take the whole enchilada! I find myself rooting for them. Congrats⚽⚽

Back