MPFL Surgery Anyone?

Player on our team has knee issues. She is tall for a 13 year old and growth plates aren’t fully formed yet.
Sounds like MPFL surgery (medial patellafemoral ligament reconstruction) is in her future.
Doctor says to wait until she is done growing to have surgery.
Kid is able to play, until it gives out. Wears a brace, which helps some.
Doc says playing on it wont do any additional damage, but the chances to pain / knee cap giving out are definitely still there.

If you have experience- either post here or send me a private message. Trying to give the parents some additional opinions and resources.

Player on our team has knee issues. She is tall for a 13 year old and growth plates aren’t fully formed yet.
Sounds like MPFL surgery (medial patellafemoral ligament reconstruction) is in her future.
Doctor says to wait until she is done growing to have surgery.
Kid is able to play, until it gives out. Wears a brace, which helps some.
Doc says playing on it wont do any additional damage, but the chances to pain / knee cap giving out are definitely still there.

If you have experience- either post here or send me a private message. Trying to give the parents some additional opinions and resources.

So my experience may be out of date but it does come with almost 40 years of use without the surgery that was recommended when I was 16 and suffering knee dislocations which I proudly forced back in myself on the field... followed by removal of 250cc of blood using a huge needle/syringe and replacement with Cortizone I was back in shape in two weeks each time.

By 18 I took up a regiment of serious weightlifting and it never happened again. At 16 the sunrise x-ray view already showed the wear in the kneecaps which 'broke in' to the off center patella alignment. I was like why have surgery to re-align something that has already worn in to accommodate the issue and learn to walk on new knees.

We may not be talking about the same issue but I've abused my knees to the limit and never suffered again until pushing a snowblower in 3 feet off snow at an off angle caused a posterior medial meniscus root tear. Yes I'm on the east coast.

Things have changed with MRI technology and I'd bet a great surgeon could fix the issue if the joint is still young and wear free.

Best of luck to the player - hate to see injuries slow up a talented kid

She had surgery last Friday. Recovering well.
They got several opinions from some highly respected doctors. Surgery was performed by an orthopedic surgeon who has done work on athletes from all of the LA pro sports teams.
He said her growth plate was fully formed.
She was able to try (non-contact) leading up to the surgery to try and make herself stronger and shorten her recovery time. She busted her ass like i've never seen. Sprints, plyo work, etc.
Hoping she recovers well and doesn't rush her comeback.

Back