More than one sport?

I'll summarize the blog to save everyone 3 minutes: My daughter was demoted by her club coach because she played middle school hoops, therefore all coaches are stopping all children from playing multiple sports, and parents have no responsibility for this trend whatsoever.

(Also, something about Dabo Sweeney, but I immediately skipped past that.)

Your results may vary, both my kids have always done more than one sport even while playing at the highest levels. Very tough time wise but possible with Track for example.

Some coaches on both sides will support mutli-sport athletes almost fully, others will if the conflicts are not getting in the way, and others won't even if they don't tell you.

Communications is the key, be upfront from the start and choose wisely. If you player wants to participate in multi sports have them discuss with all parties involved first hand before they accept the offer(s) or join a squad. Conflict is where things can get messy, some sacrifices have to normally be made to play mutli-sports and those get greater as you move up in. Tradeoffs happen in life also so the players have to get used to making these types of choices and commitments. The tradeoff might be looking for another team that's not as demanding schedule wise, coaches that will support mutli-sports, or leagues like ECNL that give time to play HS for example

Sounds like a whiny parent to me. The reality is from a coaches perspective, you want committed players. It has nothing to with not wanting your players to have diverse skill sets or hold them back. Just think, let's say you have a super talented player on your club team but she only shows up to 1 practice a week when all the other parents and their kids are there every single practice - do you really think he wouldn't get an earful? Do you think it's fair to the other kids? Do you think that kind of culture promotes team play? Would you want to be on a team where one of the other kids did that and she still got to start? It's bullshit.

Sometimes you just have to choose and commit to something and prioritize it. it's also very valid that other sports can totally screw up you're muscles and form for another - for example if you're a volleyball player, the muscle s in your hand need to be a certain way in order to be able to properly serve. But play tennis for a few hours and your hand will be completely limp and you'll feel like a gimp if trying to go back to volleyball.

We also had the experience of playing with a couple of kids that missed a lot of practices. They were also the difference makers in games. As much as the coach wanted them at practice they would miss. He would bench them on occassion for part the first half, the team wouldn't score or would give up goals but when they were put into the game, goal, goal, goal. Just a lesson that some kids that are very faithful about going to practice, trying to be the race horse were really just donkeys wearing a racing saddle. Coaches that don't play their best players, regardless of why they are missing practices, will not only lose the ones that miss, but will lose other starters too. Then you can have a team of complaining parents with all C players. Nothing wrong with tier 3 or bronze, train those donkeys in soccer all year long and you know what your going to get...donkeys.

My own kid played three sports her freshman and sophomore year--xcountry, soccer and track and played club soccer. Her xcountry and track coaches knew that club soccer would almost always win out when it came to showcases, but for the most part, there was no conflict. After a summer/fall of both soccer and xcountry, when she walked on the field as freshman playing varsity--she was in better shape than 95% of the team (all those kids that just played soccer). She was also in better shape for club because in both the fall and the spring she was running. We found that there was no lose in her muscles or form, but then again, she wasn't training nor competing at a world class level in which the little things such as how we train our muscles really takes affect. She decided to not run her Junior and now this year as a Senior. She had a club soccer coach tell her that all she needed was soccer training and she would be fine. As an elementary and jr high student, she played softball, did track meets, did club swim, dance and competitive soccer.

She will also be playing in college next year.

It is a complete load of crap not to allow a child to play all the sports they want growing up because some soccer club or coach says so!

Sounds like a whiny parent to me. The reality is from a coaches perspective, you want committed players. It has nothing to with not wanting your players to have diverse skill sets or hold them back. Just think, let's say you have a super talented player on your club team but she only shows up to 1 practice a week when all the other parents and their kids are there every single practice - do you really think he wouldn't get an earful? Do you think it's fair to the other kids? Do you think that kind of culture promotes team play? Would you want to be on a team where one of the other kids did that and she still got to start? It's bullshit.

Sometimes you just have to choose and commit to something and prioritize it. it's also very valid that other sports can totally screw up you're muscles and form for another - for example if you're a volleyball player, the muscle s in your hand need to be a certain way in order to be able to properly serve. But play tennis for a few hours and your hand will be completely limp and you'll feel like a gimp if trying to go back to volleyball.

I will tell you that if either of my player's coaches hadn't been supportive the decision would have been made for them. The best players are usually superb athletes and that translates to a lot of other opportunities and a lot of conflicts. This is part of the deal of having elite athletes under your tutelage and the coach should have a plan. A player that depends upon one superstar exclusively isn't a team it is a superstar and her/his posse.

I'm not a whiny parent by the way just one that puts his player's goals and wishes above all else.

We also had the experience of playing with a couple of kids that missed a lot of practices. They were also the difference makers in games. As much as the coach wanted them at practice they would miss. He would bench them on occassion for part the first half, the team wouldn't score or would give up goals but when they were put into the game, goal, goal, goal. Just a lesson that some kids that are very faithful about going to practice, trying to be the race horse were really just donkeys wearing a racing saddle. Coaches that don't play their best players, regardless of why they are missing practices, will not only lose the ones that miss, but will lose other starters too. Then you can have a team of complaining parents with all C players. Nothing wrong with tier 3 or bronze, train those donkeys in soccer all year long and you know what your going to get...donkeys.

My own kid played three sports her freshman and sophomore year--xcountry, soccer and track and played club soccer. Her xcountry and track coaches knew that club soccer would almost always win out when it came to showcases, but for the most part, there was no conflict. After a summer/fall of both soccer and xcountry, when she walked on the field as freshman playing varsity--she was in better shape than 95% of the team (all those kids that just played soccer). She was also in better shape for club because in both the fall and the spring she was running. We found that there was no lose in her muscles or form, but then again, she wasn't training nor competing at a world class level in which the little things such as how we train our muscles really takes affect. She decided to not run her Junior and now this year as a Senior. She had a club soccer coach tell her that all she needed was soccer training and she would be fine. As an elementary and jr high student, she played softball, did track meets, did club swim, dance and competitive soccer.

She will also be playing in college next year.

There you go sounding like me. I knew it was only a matter of time that you would join the dark side. Put your player first and you can't go wrong.

upload_2017-1-16_15-46-55.jpeg

Back