ManCity Tournament Schedule

https://home.gotsoccer.com/rankings/team.aspx?TeamID=1138264 **Seems as though a partnership with SD Force and Surf has formed**

Paul and Dave Currie
SD Force works very hard to play a possession based game of soccer. The 2005 Force girls team played in Man City last year against top teams with decent results (in bracket play the beat the Las Vegas Heat 1-0; tied Santa Rosa United 1-1, and despite owning the 1st 1/2 lost 1-2 to Colorado Storm). In the showcase game they lost to LAGSD's top team 0-1. Not horrible results, and I respect Force's willingness to always try to play the toughest competition. Unfortunately for Force, they are too close to: Albion, Surf, DMCV and LAGSD to retain the talent they help develop in the younger ages.

What’s the deal with 7:45am start times for the early games??
That’s too gotdamn early!
Some people will be driving before the sun is up and not one single child is used to playing this early. Too early for proper nourishment and/or to take a proper crap.
Don’t let so many damn teams in the tournament if that’s the problem.
Just plain BS.

The Surf tournaments have always, even when Surf Cup had a very limited amount of teams, had 7:45 start times in bracket play. Not sure what real difference 15 minutes will make in start times.

all the snobby experts with their own agendas are chiming in. fact is, the level of play is good, much better than most. but what would i know, i'm just a dumbass referee that sees thousands of games a year. .

Damn those teriyaki bowls must be amazing.:)

SD Force works very hard to play a possession based game of soccer. The 2005 Force girls team played in Man City last year against top teams with decent results (in bracket play the beat the Las Vegas Heat 1-0; tied Santa Rosa United 1-1, and despite owning the 1st 1/2 lost 1-2 to Colorado Storm). In the showcase game they lost to LAGSD's top team 0-1. Not horrible results, and I respect Force's willingness to always try to play the toughest competition. Unfortunately for Force, they are too close to: Albion, Surf, DMCV and LAGSD to retain the talent they help develop in the younger ages.
They are talking about the 04 team not the 05s. And just because they work hard to play possession means nothing for tournament seeding. Spoken like a true mommy.

Compare the resume of Freedom with the Flight 1 teams you say have question marks:

Force YSR #30: Finished 5th in SCDSL Champions League, Lost in final of SCDSL Championship Playoff
Freedom YSR #39: Finished 5th in SCDSL Europa, Lost in first round of SCDSL North American Playoff
Westside YSR #48: Finished 6th in SCSL Champions League, Lost in semi-finals of SCDSL Europa Playoff

Force: National Cup finished 2nd in Group K with 4 points goal diff of +2
Freedom: National Cup finished 3rd in Group H with 3 points goal diff of -3
Westside: National Cup finished 3rd in Group A with 3 points goal diff of -1

Force: played in CRL last year, finished 9th
Freedom: did not play in CRL last year, qualified this year via wildcard
Westside Breakers: did not play in CRL last year, will not play this year (joining ECNL)

Force: played in ManCity last year, went 1-1-1 in top flight
Freedom: did not play in ManCity last year
Westside: played in ManCity last year, went 2-1-0 in second flight, lost in semi-finals

Not saying that this justifies keeping Freedom out--especially out of Flight 2-- but I thought this might give a better picture than just looking at the GotSoccer rankings. From this, I would say that Force and Westside deserve the Flight 1 invite just as much if not more so than Freedom but that is just my 2 cents.

Good tournament but may have jumped the shark this year. In a couple of the boys flight 1 brackets there is a brand new club that has been destroyed in a mediocre spring league. However, the team is affiliated with an international soccer player. They will get smoked in their games, likely by double digits, which is not fun for either team. Many other curious choices that were clearly not based on merit which is unfortunate. Cerritos is probably a better option this year. No agenda just facts.

In Surf's defense they did move the aforementioned teams to 2nd flight, their results aren't going to be a whole lot different though.

Compare the resume of Freedom with the Flight 1 teams you say have question marks:

Force YSR #30: Finished 5th in SCDSL Champions League, Lost in final of SCDSL Championship Playoff
Freedom YSR #39: Finished 5th in SCDSL Europa, Lost in first round of SCDSL North American Playoff
Westside YSR #48: Finished 6th in SCSL Champions League, Lost in semi-finals of SCDSL Europa Playoff

Force: National Cup finished 2nd in Group K with 4 points goal diff of +2
Freedom: National Cup finished 3rd in Group H with 3 points goal diff of -3
Westside: National Cup finished 3rd in Group A with 3 points goal diff of -1

Force: played in CRL last year, finished 9th
Freedom: did not play in CRL last year, qualified this year via wildcard
Westside Breakers: did not play in CRL last year, will not play this year (joining ECNL)

Force: played in ManCity last year, went 1-1-1 in top flight
Freedom: did not play in ManCity last year
Westside: played in ManCity last year, went 2-1-0 in second flight, lost in semi-finals

Not saying that this justifies keeping Freedom out--especially out of Flight 2-- but I thought this might give a better picture than just looking at the GotSoccer rankings. From this, I would say that Force and Westside deserve the Flight 1 invite just as much if not more so than Freedom but that is just my 2 cents.

What age group and gender is this referring to?

Here is my issue with Man City Cup. They are clearly sending a message that they are trying to grow the boys side of the tournament. There are 23 Boys flights and 14 girls flights. They drastically paired down the brackets on the girls side with a lot of 12 team flights. Some of the teams admitted on the girls side are big question marks. For example I know that in the G04 age group Freedom FC did not get in:

http://home.gotsoccer.com/rankings/team.aspx?teamid=1033976

This Freedom FC team has a decent body of work over the last year and just qualified for CRL 2 weekends ago and in my opinion belongs in a top level tournament which Man City boasts it is. This team was rejected from Man City Cup.

G04 top flight
https://events.gotsport.com/events/results.aspx?EventID=65056&GroupID=745100&Gender=Girls&Age=14

Flight 1 teams with question marks are:

https://home.gotsoccer.com/rankings/team.aspx?TeamID=896729 **What has this team done to deserve top flight or entry for that matter??**
https://home.gotsoccer.com/rankings/team.aspx?TeamID=1138264 **Seems as though a partnership with SD Force and Surf has formed**

In flight 2 these two teams have no business participating in HIGH LEVEL event, even if its flight 2.

https://home.gotsoccer.com/rankings/team.aspx?TeamID=672038 **Affliate**
https://home.gotsoccer.com/rankings/team.aspx?TeamID=1251353 **Zero body of work but LAG**

This is just one age group and I think you could probably make the case that this happened in a lot of different age groups. The balance is shifting in SoCal and its becoming less about the game and results but more about the relationships. This has always been prevalent in club soccer but I hope that one day we can get back to dropping the acroynms, dropping what league you play in or who you are affiliated with and just get back to the best teams play in the best tournaments.....

I know this is probably the least of anyone's concern but does anyone happen to know if they will have TV's setup for the Liverpool/Madrid game at the Polo Fields?

I know this is probably the least of anyone's concern but does anyone happen to know if they will have TV's setup for the Liverpool/Madrid game at the Polo Fields?

Actually that is a great question I don’t know the answer to. I am lucky enough that our game is early so is can go straight to a bar right after.

Back