Manchester City Cup 2017

Chauffeur

SILVER
Has anyone seen the accepted teams list yet? I know Surf and Eagles are in.

Subject: Manchester City Cup Short-sided - 7 v 7 and 9 v 9 Rules

To all teams playing 7 v 7 and 9 v 9

Please read this email and make sure that the coach and players know the

rules.

Due to the US Soccer mandates that some leagues and regions put in to effect

last year and others because others are not implementing the mandates until

the 2017 season we want to clarify how the 7 v 7 and 9 v 9 games will be

played for the Manchester City Cup event.

. There will be no heading in any 7 v 7 and 9 v 9 games.

. There will be no punting PAST MIDFIELD in either the 7 v 7 or 9 v 9

games. Any ball punted that goes past midfield will result in an indirect

free-kick for the opposing team. Encourage your GK's to play out of the back

and not punt the ball to clear it.

. There will be no build out lines as not everyone is accustomed to

playing with the build out lines yet.

. Goal kicks ARE allowed.

. Offside will be called in 7 v 7 and 9 v 9 games.

. Any goal scored directly from a kick-off will not count.

. Any goal scored by a punt from the opposing team's GK will not

count.

Teams should encourage players to play out of the back since there is no

heading and no punting clearances that can go past midfield.

Please make sure that coaches and players understand the rules above. Good

luck to everyone this weekend.

Michelle Romero

Tournament Director

rules.

count.

Michelle Romero

Tournament Director

Are Blues a last minute addition to the tournament?

rules.

count.

Michelle Romero

Tournament Director
Wouldn't it just be easier to play on appropriate size fields? Do the US Soccer mandates that go into effect fall 2017 also govern Tournament play or only sanctioned league play? I sure hope the refs understand these new rules! SMH

Are Blues a last minute addition to the tournament?

Says the same guy that try to make excuses when Surf and Galaxy played to a draw. I understand that sometimes we play direct but that differentiates from game to game. Not every situation is the same. Sometimes you get a little behind and you have to keep the girls motivated. BTW I bet your DD is not an impact player on that Surf team. Easy to comment when your riding the bench on one of the top teams. Keep it classy bud!

Says the same guy that try to make excuses when Surf and Galaxy played to a draw. I understand that sometimes we play direct but that differentiates from game to game. Not every situation is the same. Sometimes you get a little behind and you have to keep the girls motivated. BTW I bet your DD is not an impact player on that Surf team. Easy to comment when your riding the bench on one of the top teams. Keep it classy bud!

Hardly, and I don't think we want to be going there with other people's kids. The fact is that Blues has used this same strategy for years at most of the younger levels. I've even seen it at 11v11 as well. While it can produce results now it doesn't do much for the kids long term. I wouldn't get upset about it. They even changed the NBA for Wilt and he wasn't too bad.
I will say that the exploitation of the build out line last season was pretty comical. And it didn't work. I know parents on your own team that were shaking their heads.

Hardly, and I don't think we want to be going there with other people's kids. The fact is that Blues has used this same strategy for years at most of the younger levels. I've even seen it at 11v11 as well. While it can produce results now it doesn't do much for the kids long term. I wouldn't get upset about it. They even changed the NBA for Wilt and he wasn't too bad.
I will say that the exploitation of the build out line last season was pretty comical. And it didn't work. I know parents on your own team that were shaking their heads.

I understand that, but please also don't say anything negative about our team. We are all on here to discuss and we have had good discussions on here. Mostly postiitve ones, I would never say anything bad about your team. I get it, he has a DD on a top team that I think is obviously well respected in the 2007 age group but act like a state cup champion and show respect at the same time. Just sticking up for my DD's team. I know your kid impacts that Surf team and I enjoy reading your post and comments. I can't say the same for Chaufer. Don't say a smart comment and expect not to catch some flak for it.

Wouldn't it just be easier to play on appropriate size fields? Do the US Soccer mandates that go into effect fall 2017 also govern Tournament play or only sanctioned league play? I sure hope the refs understand these new rules! SMH

The biggest you will see is 90 yards by 60 yards at 2007 9v9. Per guidelines it can go all the way down to 75 x 47.

http://media.calsouth.com/data/Downloads/Top_Stories/2016/USSF_SSG_Chart_080416.pdf?rev=32A7

Mostly you are going to see 40 x 70 as that is what most City's stripe the fields too. O Side, SD Polo, Silverheat, can make them any size they want.

Its funny he doesn't even know his team or club plays kickball!! I'm amazed how he transitions from coach to ref so seamlessly back and forth throughout the game. Calling offsides from 50 yards away..begging for a call without a sign is truly Genius!!!!

Wow, you really took my comment personally!

I actually felt compelled to make a joke after the '06 Blues team took a shot at the goal at the 2nd half kickoff in the Legends Classic at Silverlakes last weekend. (My bench-warming daughter was guest playing (up) with another '06 team last weekend.) The keeper on that Blues team, as well as the keeper on the '07 Blues team, are fantastic players, perhaps the best at their positions in SoCal, but if I were a Blues parent, I would want to see my team practice playing out of the back despite the pressure instead of watching the keeper take a massive punt with the wind and try to one-hop the ball into the opposing goal.

It seems to me these special rules implemented for Manchester City Cup are designed precisely to eliminate such tactics frequently and recently employed by Blues when playing on small fields. But what I do know? My daughter is just a bench warmer so my observations and analysis are clearly warped by my parental jealous desire for more playing time!

If the shoe fits!

I actually felt compelled to make a joke after the '06 Blues team took a shot at the goal at the 2nd half kickoff in the Legends Classic at Silverlakes last weekend. (My bench-warming daughter was guest playing (up) with another '06 team last weekend.) The keeper on that Blues team, as well as the keeper on the '07 Blues team, are fantastic players, perhaps the best at their positions in SoCal, but if I were a Blues parent, I would want to see my team practice playing out of the back despite the pressure instead of watching the keeper take a massive punt with the wind and try to one-hop the ball into the opposing goal.

It seems to me these special rules implemented for Manchester City Cup are designed precisely to eliminate such tactics frequently and recently employed by Blues when playing on small fields. But what I do know? My daughter is just a bench warmer so my observations and analysis are clearly warped by my parental jealous desire for more playing time!
If you watched many of those 06 games at Legends Cup last weekend, you saw several goalies (I would say most) going with the long punts up the field as there was no build out line. In the final, it was Albion (a team that several other posters refer to as one of the better "possession" teams) who scored their goal off a goalie punt that landed nearly 3/4 of the way down the field. The shot off the kick-off is just silly (honestly have never seen it work), but I also saw multiple teams taking shots or shots off free kicks pretty close to the half line (especially when they were with the wind). Again, I didn't see any succeed as the goalies are pretty good at the 06 age group. I'm just saying that it isn't only Blues who try to take advantage of the punts and free kicks when the fields are this small. I like the rules they have come up with for this tournament, but the no goalie punts past half is the most meaningful. BTW, I continue to hate the no heading rule. Good luck to all the girls this weekend.

Back