LOTG changes for 2017/2018

Discussion in 'C'mon Ref!' started by Surfref, Apr 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Surfref

Surfref Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +642 / 5
    If you have not seen the IFAB 2017/2018 LOTG changes the link is below. There are 43 changes (if I counted correctly) with most being changes to wording, but there are actual changes to substitutions, offside, and fouls/misconduct along with some other laws. There is now wording that addresses youth games. Substitutions have been changed from 3 to 5 substitutions per game at all levels expect the top level.

I also included the link to the guidance for a temporary dismissal (player having to sit out after a yellow card for a short period of time). I wonder if US Soccer will adopt this change. This would be a good tool to use in the older youth games to calm down players that are cautioned. 8-10 minutes sitting out to help them calm down.

http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/239/071415_290317_Website_LoG_2017_18_Law_PG_changes_v2.0.pdf

http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/docume..._Guidelines_for_Temporary_dismissals_v2.0.pdf

http://www.theifab.com/document/for-football-bodies

2. outside!

outside! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +703 / 18
    Would this be similar to a YC in high school? I kind of like that the YC player has to sit out for a few minutes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TangoCity

TangoCity Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +468 / 7
    What is the change to offside?

4. twoclubpapa

twoclubpapa New Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    In high school the cautioned player leaves the pitch and, at the coach's option, a substitute may be sent on. (I've never had a coach not put in a substitute but it is an option.)
    The IFAB guidelines do not allow a substitution for the temporarily dismissed player until the "sin bin" time has expired.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AFC

AFC New Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Referee now can call Offside whenever he/she feels like it, and it doesn't matter if it actually happened or not.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. espola

espola Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,196 / 89
    That's not a change.

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. MWN

MWN Active Member

Ratings:
    +281 / 3
    But it is a good idea to clearly state in the rules that offside fully discretionary to shut up the parents. FIFA Law 11 should state:

A player is in an offside position if:
    • any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and
    • any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent OR
    • any official believes the above two conditions could have occurred at any time during the game.
    • The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered.
    A player is not in an offside position if level with the:
    • second-last opponent or
    • last two opponents or
    • the official could have been mistaken.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1