Lighted Soccer fields

Was hoping someone has information on lighted fields with full goals in the South East LA, South Bay, and or Long Beach Areas ? DD wants to take some shots and with the daylight changes, having some difficulty with that. Also, if anyone knows of a good finishing coach, that would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Great to hear a player wanting to do work in their own time. This is how you really improve.

I can't help with field recommendations but this exercise below (if you have a bunch of soccer balls or can buy some, it's worth the investment) is a great one to work on finishing. If your DD has a GK friend that can join in, they can both get lots of great practice.

You don't need a shooting coach btw; you can feed the balls yourself and the repetition alone is enough without having a coach tell your DD how to strike the ball.

https://www.facebook.com/189997734437521/posts/1673053289465284/

Coach might not be necessary, but practicing with good technique is important.
What age? Does she know how to properly hit an instep drive kick (landing on her kicking foot). I see a TON of kids with a decent strike on the ball that wind up leaning backwards and are leaving a LOT of power on the table.

Was hoping someone has information on lighted fields with full goals in the South East LA, South Bay, and or Long Beach Areas ? DD wants to take some shots and with the daylight changes, having some difficulty with that. Also, if anyone knows of a good finishing coach, that would also be appreciated. Thanks.
Lighting fields costs a lot of money so you're not likely to find a lit one that isn't being actively used. That said, look for rec centers. Some might have lights and others may have a gym were you can kick.

What age? Does she know how to properly hit an instep drive kick (landing on her kicking foot). I see a TON of kids with a decent strike on the ball that wind up leaning backwards and are leaving a LOT of power on the table.
She’s 15 years and plays ona local academy team. She’s wants some practice in the final 3rd and she’s pretty good with her form. She’s just needs to get in front of a goal and practice.

You’re right; a young kid especially can’t just be kicking the ball with poor technique and no correction but for me, many kids here need to practice more individually and ‘find’ their own technique via trial and error. If they have the basics already (any player aged 10 upwards should have really) then refining and improving striking technique in particular is best done alone IMO.

It’s an obvious example to use but Beckham is a great one; the way he plants his foot and strikes the ball is pretty unique, even among elite level players who all have what you would call good technique. He ‘found’ this method of striking from many years of practicing on his own or with his dad; certainly no coach taught him how to strike that way.

Just something to bear in mind because I know there is a culture here of looking to have a coach for everything when you are better off learning some things on your own.

She’s 15 years and plays ona local academy team. She’s wants some practice in the final 3rd and she’s pretty good with her form. She’s just needs to get in front of a goal and practice.

I know someone already said lightning is expensive and is. There are plenty of lighted fields but someone has to pay to turn it on, or to put it another way, empty lighted fields are probably not found anywhere.

Perhaps your best bet is to find an open field next to a lighted field and use the spilled lights with a hope that a goal is nearby. Often college fields (CSULB, DH or LA) may have lit fields that are more general purpose and is not being used that you can perhaps drop by?

When our older son was about your DD's age, I sought out accomplished striker for a private lesson coach on this forum (actually on the old forum) and for our purpose, there was not one found. We were not looking for mechanical techniques for shooting or finishing. Rather, we were looking for mental approach to best deal and prepare for finishing in tight spaces and one-vs-one again the goalie.

So many kids simply do not know how to attack when a breakaway results in 1v1. Most do one of the following - shoot right at the keeper or hard so that it overshoots or miss the target. Very few knows and have the game slowdown enough to move the ball away from the keeper to create a window at that moment without losing the ball to defenders or learn to chip the ball out of reach of the keeper yet find the back of the net.

In the end, he spent tremendous amount of time over the following couple of years working with and without the ball as a forward to be really effective in the last third for finishing. Now he prides himself that the 6 yard box is his kill zone.

Back