Late calls

SocalSoccerMom

SILVER ELITE
Questions for the refs...

Keeper and forward collided on a play. No flag from AR and no whistle from CR. The ball was touched by 3 different players and cleared out. Forward remained on the ground so CR blew the whistle. He then ran to speak to the AR, and a PK was awarded. If there was no flag when the foul happened, could ref still make the call?

Yes, although there are better ways to handle the mechanics between CR and AR. The pregame should have outlined how and when the CR wants the AR to indicate a foul in the penalty area that the CR may not have seen. The CR should have looked at the AR when the players collided and if the AR saw a clear foul, that the CR missed, raise his flag, if that was the procedure discussed in the pregame. This should be covered in the referee pregame talk. Hopefully they actually had a pregame talk.

Hopefully the CR ran to the player on the ground before running to the AR (at least the referee is running). Player safety always comes first.

Three touches and the ball cleared out can occur in less than a second. Since there is no colliding foul, what was the foul call, charging, pushing, tripping, jumping, tackle? Just curious.

The call was that the keeper didn't touch the ball. Both players went for the ball, collided and the ball popped out. I really couldn't see the play, but both AR and CR had full view of it. Not once was there any indication that there was a foul. It took about 30 secs to a minute to clear the ball. At that point, players were concerned for the player being down so they got the attention of the CR, who went to the player, then to the AR, then after hearing screaming parents, rewarded the PK.

Unlike football where the is a flag thrown and its clear to all spectators, the soccer Ref can call advantage and let play continue to see the outcome. Once advantage is lost, roll back to the original foul and make the call. Checking with the AR to confirm facts is reasonable. Some Refs instruct the AR to not make calls in the penalty box.

The call was that the keeper didn't touch the ball. Both players went for the ball, collided and the ball popped out. I really couldn't see the play, but both AR and CR had full view of it. Not once was there any indication that there was a foul. It took about 30 secs to a minute to clear the ball. At that point, players were concerned for the player being down so they got the attention of the CR, who went to the player, then to the AR, then after hearing screaming parents, rewarded the PK.
Don't take this the wrong way, but something is off here: keeper collides with offensive player, who goes down. It takes 30-60 seconds for a ball to be cleared from the box on 3 touches? :rolleyes: All of this time, the CR is unaware of the hurt player on the ground in said box (and presumably AR doesn't alert CR), until summoned by players ?

30-60 seconds would sure be along time to play advantage, but if crew did what is described, there are bigger issues than a late PK being called.

I hate commenting on these without more info or seeing it, but...... if it took 30 seconds to call the foul, then Beevis and Butthead were reffing this game. Could they be swayed by the player being "injured" or staying down? Could they be swayed by parents and coaches screaming? I would hope not, but it sounds like something along those lines happened from what you say.

If the referee saw it and didn't call it, and the assistant saw it and didn't call it, and then one of them realized "hey, that was a foul!" 30 seconds later, then they could "in theory", make the late call and award the penalty. But it wouldn't be because of advantage. It would be because of knuckle-headedness.

I hate commenting on these without more info or seeing it, but...... if it took 30 seconds to call the foul, then Beevis and Butthead were reffing this game. Could they be swayed by the player being "injured" or staying down? Could they be swayed by parents and coaches screaming? I would hope not, but it sounds like something along those lines happened from what you say.

If the referee saw it and didn't call it, and the assistant saw it and didn't call it, and then one of them realized "hey, that was a foul!" 30 seconds later, then they could "in theory", make the late call and award the penalty. But it wouldn't be because of advantage. It would be because of knuckle-headedness.
I agree, but: Although it could happen, 30-60 seconds to clear a ball on 3 touches sounds like a stretch.

It was not cleared by 3 touches ball was passed between 3 players before clearing out. I guess my question was answered, that yes ref could call a foul after it happened even though no flag was raised, no indication from AR of possible foul, and refs had full view of the play.

30 seconds? If it took 8 seconds for three players to pass (not touches) the ball out of the area that would be a very long time for those actions to occur in a match. (Visulaizing the play: One thousand one (pause) one thousand two ...)

Questions for the refs...

Keeper and forward collided on a play. No flag from AR and no whistle from CR. The ball was touched by 3 different players and cleared out. Forward remained on the ground so CR blew the whistle. He then ran to speak to the AR, and a PK was awarded. If there was no flag when the foul happened, could ref still make the call?
Yes.

This is a bit tricky, from the evidence provided, no PK would be called by me because a min passing after the incident is too long, like new plays were created after the incident, so this is not a correct mechanism from the referees. Its poor officiating, juat wonderinf if the gane was slow, if it was then they probably were half awake.

Also the parents makin noise might have played into the whole pk call, rather than caring about the players safety...

Back