LAFC Slammers Leaving DA

I do think the substitution rule hurts development-especially at the younger ages. Once you leave the game, (even if its' 10-15 minutes into the game) you're out for good. Here's an example...there was a team playing, had 16 on the roster (coach likes to roster small for a more equal playing time model). In the first half, subbed two people. In the second half, subbed 3. Immediately after the second half started, one player injured her knee-down to 10. later in the game, another kid rolled her ankle. Now down to 9. Nevermind that we had 4 healthy kids on the bench, but couldn't reenter because of the stupid sub rule.

For teams that keep a roster of 18 for games...can you imagine how little playing time (or development in those games) kids get as a result of not being able to reenter games? The sub rule was one of the biggest reasons Hawks, PDA, and 2 of the Texas schools left...

Just for accuracies sake, no Texas clubs left DA this year. Texas is pretty strongly a DA state.

I do think the substitution rule hurts development-especially at the younger ages. Once you leave the game, (even if its' 10-15 minutes into the game) you're out for good. Here's an example...there was a team playing, had 16 on the roster (coach likes to roster small for a more equal playing time model). In the first half, subbed two people. In the second half, subbed 3. Immediately after the second half started, one player injured her knee-down to 10. later in the game, another kid rolled her ankle. Now down to 9. Nevermind that we had 4 healthy kids on the bench, but couldn't reenter because of the stupid sub rule.

For teams that keep a roster of 18 for games...can you imagine how little playing time (or development in those games) kids get as a result of not being able to reenter games? The sub rule was one of the biggest reasons Hawks, PDA, and 2 of the Texas schools left...well that coupled with no HS...I'm not sure what the model is going to look like in 3-4 years. Right now, GDA will play second fiddle to ECNL and rightfully so...the models aren't the same (or shouldn't be). One is for national exposure, the other is kinda national but HUGE with college exposure. sorry so choppy...writing on my phone
I'm hearing there's a change in the minimum number of full-time DA players required on the roster. It is now 14 (down from 18?) with a larger number of DP's allowed. This opens up more spots for players who want to play high school. Also, it should be more likely that the bottom of the FT player roster - player 14 instead of player 18 - gets a decent amount of DA playing time.

Is that being done for playing time purposes or to make it easier for teams to be partially or fully funded?
4 players per team x $4,000 per player. Saves $16k in expense.

Most kids don’t hate HS rules. Only the parents do. No kids complained about not playing HS in our DA club.

I hate to break this to you, but your club doesn't consist of "most kids...", small sample size. There was a revolt by clubs in Northern California (Mustang, MVLA, Davis, San Juan), after they had accepted the DA's initial offer to join, ONLY to leave the DA when it was learned that they would not allow kids to play HS soccer. When reports that other schools would follow suit, they (DA)said it was up to each respective club. By that time, it was too late. I want whats best for my kid. If she wants to enjoy her mates playing HS soccer, then she should be allowed to-for reals, what's the hate against HS soccer? My opinion? DOC's and USSF are in bed with one another because it huts the clubs bottom line if they take 3 months off.

It actually hurts clubs bottom line playing those 3 months, practicing 4 days a week, and having coach restrictions.

how does it hurt it, when the kids...errr..parents are paying for it in mostly fees? if 30 kids aren't playing DA soccer for 3 months, at 300.00 a month per kid, isn't that hurting the club, financially?

I'm hearing there's a change in the minimum number of full-time DA players required on the roster. It is now 14 (down from 18?) with a larger number of DP's allowed. This opens up more spots for players who want to play high school. Also, it should be more likely that the bottom of the FT player roster - player 14 instead of player 18 - gets a decent amount of DA playing time.

Some clubs are having the minimum number of kids to officially roster for the DA (think it's 214) and have all the other kids DP. This way, clubs can have two teams playing (NPL/ECNL) and DA. Top 14 would ONLY be able to play DA and the other 20 players would go between DA and NPL/ECNL.

A few corrections to your post. DA did not have a three sub rule. It allowed 5 subs over 3 substitution moments for league. At the DA showcases they allowed 7 subs. This coming season they are allowing 7 subs for league for all but the oldest age group. Still no re entry. Still require every rostered girl to start at least 25%. I venture to say that the 18th player probably gets more playing time playing DA then some other leagues where they never start and only get a few minutes a game.

Please explain your disagreement? My kid plays DA so I know the rules.

Is that being done for playing time purposes or to make it easier for teams to be partially or fully funded?
4 players per team x $4,000 per player. Saves $16k in expense.
I didn't even think of that reason. But, I am all for it considering our daughter's fees are fully funded ... by her parents.

Out of curiosity, anybody with knowledge of Slammers teams know whether players are happy with change from DA to ECNL? Or are players jumping ship to other DA teams?

Out of curiosity, anybody with knowledge of Slammers teams know whether players are happy with change from DA to ECNL? Or are players jumping ship to other DA teams?
Its about 50/50
Players like that they can play HS now if they want but some parents arent happy with the $3500 bill they got for the upcoming season

And go where? Seems like they are still the best deal in town for college connections and championships.

I have heard of a lot of kids at the U18/19 age that have left DA for ECNL at Slammers and LA Breakers. Is High School as big of a deal for the 04’s and 05’s? I guess it remains to be seen.

So to make this simple I just looked at 2020's as they are going into their junior year right now and used the college commits listed on Top Drawer Soccer - of course this process is not without error (don't do this for a living )... but...

459 players are listed with college commits, 170 are from DA teams, 220 from ECNL teams, and 69 from other (not DA or ECNL). I even included in the DA numbers those clubs that are leaving DA and returning to ECNL (like LAFC Slammers for example).
Please break the numbers down per D1, D2 schools and also how many went to the top 30 D1 schools. That will give a better picture. Also, with only one year into DA the stats are skewed because a lot of the commits were made prior to or at the beginning of DA.

I have heard of a lot of kids at the U18/19 age that have left DA for ECNL at Slammers and LA Breakers. Is High School as big of a deal for the 04’s and 05’s? I guess it remains to be seen.
I’ve heard a lot of the opposite. Many u18/19 looking tonmove to Fully Funded Clubs b/c they are already committed and the parents don’t want to pay Club Dues and Fees for the season. But that is simply more Organization driven then League driven.

Back