Is Club soccer the biggest SCAM in youth sports?

DOC 's making over 200k a year! They sell you on development not wins. Some clubs having 5-6 teams at an age group. DA 2, ECNL reserve and god knows what other team names will be next for marketing a third or fourth team. Blues, Surf, Legends, Slammers, Pats, Beach, Eagles, LA Galaxy, West Coast, Albion, SDSC. do any of these clubs actually care about the individual player or will it always be money first, then club, then coach, then player

Absolutely ridiculous premise...to complain about a DOC's pay.
" You get what you pay for "
They provide the experience/environment, you provide the $$$$ and player.
I'll bet you don't complain when enjoying the services of McDonalds, Jack in The Box, Carl's Jr, Arby's, Church's, Chick-Fil-A, DelTaco and many other Franchises that provide a need for your hunger....Do you know what the Owners of each of those franchises make ( If they are successful ) ?

I'll bet you don't complain when enjoying the services of McDonalds, Jack in The Box, Carl's Jr, Arby's, Church's, Chick-Fil-A, DelTaco and many other Franchises that provide a need for your hunger....Do you know what the Owners of each of those franchises make ( If they are successful ) ?

Coocoo

lol must be a DOC.

Don't flatter yourself.

We've done the Santa Ana league thing. Its 35.00 for the whole year , games are typically on Sunday , there was 25 teams in our bracket. Half the teams are good, the other teams are so-so.
Positives: My kid love to play ball so any time on the field is a plus, more games , better cardio. Played up a few years with friends he typically doesnt get to play with. Did it make him tougher, Im not sure but he definitely had the cardio and learned to use his body more. Play on full size fields 11v11 so alot of running.
Negatives: Sometimes teams dont show up, definitely some older kids on teams they shouldnt be on. No practice for some teams
Overall he (and us) had a great experience and will do it again. There's a few options out there- indoor league (not a fan of) --Just make sure you research it , just throwing you kid into a new league, and expecting him to toughen up, not gonna happen...

Youth soccer is a complete sham built for the long run scam.
I'm not saying 100% of everyone is following this business model, but the majority rules and proves to be pure BS. The business model is built so that the clubs and coaches can always put all the "failures" back on the children or parents from games, training, year end results, development, team selection, playing time and more. They literally have a system of almost zero accountability to protect the club reputation and its employees at all cost.
Their mission is to build the number$ at all cost, they sale a product based on a persons pure love and passion for their children, most all of the (salesman) coaches are 1/2 ass hacks in the game, life and the business world. They love to use special terms to build their own inflated self absorbed personas and then roll that over into the parents egos using their children as the sales tool.
I constantly see parents of above average intelligence buying into a coach with a below average intelligence line of BS, most of the time the parents are blinded because they are being sold using the their love for their child as the sales tool!
Another slap in the face is when children and families buy into the coaches and clubs "loyalty program" the coaches and clubs promote with only words and very few actions. How many times have you witnessed a family that goes and checks out the other products (clubs) that are all of a sudden faced with a coach that turns on that family using their child as a whooping post to set an example to others to never to shop outside the current team or club! They literally use children as a way to scare other children and families. It is crazy, I have seen scum bag, bully coaches verbally and mentally abuse young children to prove their point of being all mighty and in control!
This is way to common and overlooked buy DOC's because again it is about the money and almost never about little kids. I have witnessed all the above and experienced some first hand. Again, youth soccer is not all bad but it is the majority at the higher level of play and the larger clubs! just my .2

I'm not saying 100% of everyone is following this business model, but the majority rules and proves to be pure BS. The business model is built so that the clubs and coaches can always put all the "failures" back on the children or parents from games, training, year end results, development, team selection, playing time and more. They literally have a system of almost zero accountability to protect the club reputation and its employees at all cost.
Their mission is to build the number$ at all cost, they sale a product based on a persons pure love and passion for their children, most all of the (salesman) coaches are 1/2 ass hacks in the game, life and the business world. They love to use special terms to build their own inflated self absorbed personas and then roll that over into the parents egos using their children as the sales tool.
I constantly see parents of above average intelligence buying into a coach with a below average intelligence line of BS, most of the time the parents are blinded because they are being sold using the their love for their child as the sales tool!
Another slap in the face is when children and families buy into the coaches and clubs "loyalty program" the coaches and clubs promote with only words and very few actions. How many times have you witnessed a family that goes and checks out the other products (clubs) that are all of a sudden faced with a coach that turns on that family using their child as a whooping post to set an example to others to never to shop outside the current team or club! They literally use children as a way to scare other children and families. It is crazy, I have seen scum bag, bully coaches verbally and mentally abuse young children to prove their point of being all mighty and in control!
This is way to common and overlooked buy DOC's because again it is about the money and almost never about little kids. I have witnessed all the above and experienced some first hand. Again, youth soccer is not all bad but it is the majority at the higher level of play and the larger clubs! just my .2

Sounds like congress. As with most things, you have to look out for your children because nobody else is going to do it.

And further more on the subject of the DOC pay..I DO NOT see an issue with that if he or she has surrounded themselves with idiots willing to allow that amount of pay. Go check into some local SD clubs DOC pay.

Don't forget the club/coach that sends his players to the opposing team after a game to ask for phone numbers. Let 9 year old girls sell Girl Scout cookies. Not soccer dreams.

So, I am confused now, are you saying that club soccer is like overpriced and unhealthy fast food?

It's certainly buyer beware with Club soccer.

They promise little Chloe a college scholarship and maybe national team, and the optics of having a coach with an accent make it seem extra exclusive. And imagine the Instagram pictures of her with all her medals! Won't the other parents be so jealous? Chloe is the best of all the 3rd graders!

Even for those of us that do not have our eyes on college scholarships, ODP or championship cups, and are just looking for a half decent coach to let their love of the game rub off on the kids a little, it's not easy to weed out the bogus coaches, if you even have a choice to begin with. On the westside, if you can find a club that isn't dysfunctional (SMU was OK, until a few months ago, when the G2006 parents hijacked the club to serve that team; Breakers is OK, but it's small, has a worn out field space, and fees are high despite not having assistants), FCLA (overly-involved parents can be a problem, and they always seem to keep one hand on your checkbook), Autobahn (not-quite-benign neglect) and FC England (maybe, if one of their 3 teams per gender matches your kid's age)), you still might not find a decent coach within that club. The few coaches I've liked are not coaching my kids' age group.

I just can't bring myself to relocate just to find a decent coach for my kids age group yet.

Even for those of us that do not have our eyes on college scholarships, ODP or championship cups, and are just looking for a half decent coach to let their love of the game rub off on the kids a little, it's not easy to weed out the bogus coaches, if you even have a choice to begin with. On the westside, if you can find a club that isn't dysfunctional (SMU was OK, until a few months ago, when the G2006 parents hijacked the club to serve that team; Breakers is OK, but it's small, has a worn out field space, and fees are high despite not having assistants), FCLA (overly-involved parents can be a problem, and they always seem to keep one hand on your checkbook), Autobahn (not-quite-benign neglect) and FC England (maybe, if one of their 3 teams per gender matches your kid's age)), you still might not find a decent coach within that club. The few coaches I've liked are not coaching my kids' age group.

I just can't bring myself to relocate just to find a decent coach for my kids age group yet.

Footbollah, find a club that's not dysfunctional and it will be within a few months of commitment! :confused:

Soccer coaches obviously don't do it for the money. It's low pay. Like teachers, some are good and some are bad, but don't complain about their compensation.

I have to say this is the hardest thing about the club soccer experience with DS I've found. Despite the little voice that tells me sometimes to look for where the grass is greener and possibly offers less drama, more wins, or higher competition, I have to keep repeating to myself the mantra "we are so lucky to have such great coaches, for however long it may last", particularly given how young he is.

An interesting article on CNN about the LA Galaxy recruitment. The Galaxy has been actively trying to recruit a marquee striker and goalkeeper since the spring, but apparently they are looking at the also-rans from the English clubs. The article says one of the reasons the Galaxy are doing this (as opposed to looking at the US clubs) is because the US club system is college oriented and too few players want to give up the college education.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/18/football/la-galaxy-david-beckham-transfer-scouting/index.html

An interesting article on CNN about the LA Galaxy recruitment. The Galaxy has been actively trying to recruit a marquee striker and goalkeeper since the spring, but apparently they are looking at the also-rans from the English clubs. The article says one of the reasons the Galaxy are doing this (as opposed to looking at the US clubs) is because the US club system is college oriented and too few players want to give up the college education.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/18/football/la-galaxy-david-beckham-transfer-scouting/index.html

Yeah makes you wonder why Galaxy is spending 4 $million a year on their academy system have 7+ home grown players on 1st team yet get blown out 6-2 by small market real salt lake in there latest MLS game.

They should look in the mirror and put more time into developing quality players and not just poaching from others.

The Texans Houston just beat the the Galaxy in the U17/18 da final because there better at developing and team work despite the fact they have a fraction of resources or higher profile players compared to the Galaxy.

Another slap in the face is when children and families buy into the coaches and clubs "loyalty program" the coaches and clubs promote with only words and very few actions. How many times have you witnessed a family that goes and checks out the other products (clubs) that are all of a sudden faced with a coach that turns on that family using their child as a whooping post to set an example to others to never to shop outside the current team or club! They literally use children as a way to scare other children and families.

I've watched one club based in Carlsbad cut whole families because one superstar changed clubs. The funny thing is, that the reaction on our team was "Well, it's not cool, but they couldn't have been surprised." Really? A kid got cut midseason from a team they loved because their older sister changed clubs? Ridiculous.

Back