Is club soccer a waste of time/money for youngers (under 10 yo)?

I will caveat this by saying my kid loves playing on his club team. He plays on a good competitive team as a pivotal member and has fun with his teammates.

Having said that, I've been thinking lately if club soccer is really necessary or even the best route for developmental purposes at the younger ages?

Couldn't they just play rec and since most of the kids in club on competitive teams will be the best on their rec teams, they'll get all the touches and game time they can ask for in rec and then they can supplement that by playing futsal or something on the side?

I just feel like all the "tactical" stuff they try to work on with kids (build up, pinning kids into specific positions, etc) is a bit useless at 6-10 years old. Shouldn't they just focus on developing comfort with the ball and mastering their first touch?

Are clubs taking advantage of parents who think if my kid's not in a big club or top flight now, they'll fall behind?

I will caveat this by saying my kid loves playing on his club team. He plays on a good competitive team as a pivotal member and has fun with his teammates.

Having said that, I've been thinking lately if club soccer is really necessary or even the best route for developmental purposes at the younger ages?

Couldn't they just play rec and since most of the kids in club on competitive teams will be the best on their rec teams, they'll get all the touches and game time they can ask for in rec and then they can supplement that by playing futsal or something on the side?

I just feel like all the "tactical" stuff they try to work on with kids (build up, pinning kids into specific positions, etc) is a bit useless at 6-10 years old. Shouldn't they just focus on developing comfort with the ball and mastering their first touch?

Are clubs taking advantage of parents who think if my kid's not in a big club or top flight now, they'll fall behind?
Ill bite. sure.. tactics... its not that important at that age what do they remember anyway... what is important is to have a good coach that teaches the fundamental mechanics of how to shoot, pass and trap. the very basics of how to play soccer. Honestly once they get older and move on to club these skills are expected and are not really covered. I would look for a coach that is not really interested in winning but making practice and games fun for the kids and teaches them to shoot with their laces, pass with their instep and trap by cushioning the ball. Those are the skills you need to learn at U10.

If your kid wants to play high school soccer you will need to keep him in club. The problem with keeping him at Rec level is that he can develop bad habits and also will not get challenged. At the younger age you could also put him in futsal so he can build his skills and soccer iq.
The biggest challenge regarding club soccer is the year long commitment. Kids need to play multiple sports at a young age but most competitive club teams have a year long season.

ultimately make your decision considering if your kid is having fun, making friends, learning, and being challenged,

If I had to do it all over again, I would have my son play futsal until 10 with some technical skills training on the side. The game of futsal is a far better trainer/developer than any club coach. You get a ton of touches in futsal and you have to make quick decisions. Because quick decision making is required kids also develop their "soccer vision", or scanning. Soccer is ultimately a decision making sport above all else. Even a less skilled player with good decision making is better than a super skilled kid with poor decision making.

Tactics are virtually pointless at 10 (or 12 for that matter), mostly because each coach employs different tactics.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have my son play futsal until 10 with some technical skills training on the side. The game of futsal is a far better trainer/developer than any club coach. You get a ton of touches in futsal and you have to make quick decisions. Because quick decision making is required kids also develop their "soccer vision", or scanning. Soccer is ultimately a decision making sport above all else. Even a less skilled player with good decision making is better than a super skilled kid with poor decision making.

Tactics are virtually pointless at 10 (or 12 for that matter), mostly because each coach employs different tactics.
Agree x1000 also it doesn't need to specifically be Futsal. Any kind of small sided game field or court that focuses on skills is ideal.

Increasing the number of touches will = better players faster. Combine that with smaller court which will = faster decisions.

The only downside of Futsal is the aggression side of field is taken out. This is primarily the difference between court and field + why some Futsal players have a hard time transitioning to field.

Personally I'd rather watch a futsal game over a field game any day. With Futsal you show up 20 minutes before, halves are 24 minutes. all players touch the ball, and the action happens so fast + there's no offsides so spectators never get a chance to yell at the ref.

For most kids, rec is just fine for younger ages. Score 5 goals this season, have a blast.

Now, if a kid is scoring five goals a game, then it’s time to try a more competitive league. He’ll learn more being on a field with kids like him.

It’s also kinder to the kids who play at a rec level. The rec games are for the rec kids; they need to touch the ball, too.

Yea in futsal training, I'm seeing that the touches on the ball are like 10x more than a typical club practice.
At club practice, they're trying to connect some passes and all that but it's a lot of instruction and just takes one kid to blindly kick it for the buildup to break down and start again... not a lot of touches and decisions...

Club team seems to provide the access to tournaments and league games (vs other competitive kids) but on a pure individual development sense, I don't see it at the younger ages. What I see is kids developing that elsewhere (already talented on the ball, futsal, or individual training) and getting on the club team via tryouts. And as much as clubs keep telling parents "we are here to develop your kids and we aren't worried about wins and losses", they sure blast every big win on social media...

Wenger (former Arsenal manager, now of FIFA head of Global Dev) has said that:
7-14 year olds should focus on technical development
14-17 year olds should focus on physical development / tactical awareness
17-19 year olds should focus on mental toughness / motivation

He is obviously trying to build pro players but even if the goal is just college or high school soccer, the concept of primarily focusing on technical ability at the younger ages seems to ring true.

He is obviously trying to build pro players but even if the goal is just college or high school soccer, the concept of primarily focusing on technical ability at the younger ages seems to ring true.
USA Last 11 years. Were trying to build college players
7-14- Winning, Rankings, Tournaments and Championships ((medals)).
14-17- Showcases, HSS or no HSS, look for good college, focus on excellence in and out of classroom and SAT practice.
17-19- Take SAT, Showcase some more, pick school and go ball in college

In our area there's a massive gap between rec and club soccer. Growing up in SoCal in the 80s this wasn't the case. AYSO was fine for most kids. Back then clubs were not as pervasive. I coached my kids rec teams and even though I played through high school, club, and had college offers, I just wasn't a very good coach. That's when I knew my kids probably needed something different. Most of rec is parent led and most parents have no idea what they're doing.

At the same time, there are things that come with club soccer that have nothing to do with the sport. Our kids have developed a lot of friendships outside of their school bubble. Going to tournaments is super fun for the kids. We also get to spend a lot of one-on-one time with them with all the driving to practices/games/tournaments. It's kind of a forcing function. Club soccer during covid was a godsend. I am so grateful they had that as an outlet.

I do agree with @watfly that futsal is super rewarding for the kids -- as is pickup in general. Even local soccer camps are great. These are the things that help build a young player's confidence. Confidence is vital for their long term interest in the sport (or anything for that matter).

I think the thing to watch out for is getting into it too deep at the early ages. Some parents are pretty insane and think their kids are going to go pro at the age of 5. There's a lot of ego wrapped up in all of this. Nobody has any idea where kids will land after puberty. The most important thing to remember is that it has to be fun for the kids. The minute it isn't....is the minute you need to pump the brakes and do something different. For example, if you're doing a lot of joysticking/armchair-coaching during your kid's games, you're probably on the wrong track. If your goal is for your 6-10 year old to play college/pro soccer then you're probably doing something wrong. If your goal is for your kid to have an extra-curricular activity that they can carry into high school, then remember it's a marathon not a sprint. Over time you will be able to gauge their interest and if they want more (side training, etc).

At the end of the day you need to give your kid a say in this. They need to feel invested in the direction, otherwise it's just their parents forcing them into something they don't really care about.

DD played AYSO extra and moved to club U14. coach brought on one kid to the team 'the AYSO kid". Starter by mid season. Biggest adjustment was physicality but the coach addressed that by taking the team to Santa Ana and played up in a boys league. It was a crash course and highly effective. AYSO coach did alot of short sided games, some futsal and brought in outside trainers. We are at the tail end of soccer and having been through it all my hubby and I shake our heads and think there have been some good and fun teams but the foundation for our kid was there with AYSO. Great coach and families. Late start to club meant she didn't burn out. Even with COVID had several college offers last few months but is going to play club and focus on academics. I like that we were able to get out with the joy of the sport still there. All of her friends she met through club quit by senior year and she continued to play club and HS making for a fun <and crazy> senior year!!

Oh one more note. If you're at a club where coaches are locking 6-10 year olds into positions you need to either speak up or leave. That's friggin ridiculous, yet I see it all the time. I've had to talk to coaches about this. You can do this without being an asshole. Just email them and ask them if they have a moment to chat. Ask them for their thoughts on positioning and where they see your child playing. Explain to them your concerns about your child being locked into a role. Good coaches will already be out in front of all of this.

Yea in futsal training, I'm seeing that the touches on the ball are like 10x more than a typical club practice.
At club practice, they're trying to connect some passes and all that but it's a lot of instruction and just takes one kid to blindly kick it for the buildup to break down and start again... not a lot of touches and decisions...

Club team seems to provide the access to tournaments and league games (vs other competitive kids) but on a pure individual development sense, I don't see it at the younger ages. What I see is kids developing that elsewhere (already talented on the ball, futsal, or individual training) and getting on the club team via tryouts. And as much as clubs keep telling parents "we are here to develop your kids and we aren't worried about wins and losses", they sure blast every big win on social media...

Never did futsal, but all my kids started with peewee soccer in a small indoor arena. Lots of touches because the walls keep the ball in play.

And then there was the little field my sons set up between the family room dining table and the laundry room door -- hour after hour.

Oh one more note. If you're at a club where coaches are locking 6-10 year olds into positions you need to either speak up or leave. That's friggin ridiculous, yet I see it all the time. I've had to talk to coaches about this. You can do this without being an asshole. Just email them and ask them if they have a moment to chat. Ask them for their thoughts on positioning and where they see your child playing. Explain to them your concerns about your child being locked into a role. Good coaches will already be out in front of all of this.
I'll add to your note, also avoid coaches at the youngers that have lines, laps or lectures as a part of practice. It's all about touches.

I'll add to your note, also avoid coaches at the youngers that have lines, laps or lectures as a part of practice. It's all about touches.

Lectures should take place during team meetings or water breaks. I prefer to see a coach that wanders around the practice field while the team is doing some drills and giving individuals or small groups instructions like "Here's how you could do that better".

Unavoidable coaching lectures will occur when showing and practicing set plays like kickoffs and corners.

Last edited:
The whole European soccer is based on developing player within a team, not the other way like many coaches are trying here. Individual player development MUST come first.
That's (Europe) not pay to play though. That said, generally I have seen (in most teams) that coaches have their favorites that they are developing and those players can do what they want and the rest of the team is just a supporting cast, despite the fact that the rest of the team is literally playing the coaches wages.

You are right, that developing your player is what you should focus on, but don't expect that in club soccer.

For me
  • Up to U11, technique, make sure your kid watches soccer & plays FIFA
  • From U11-U13, same as above and, field play & have your kid do track training (40M through 400M) and start with body weight exercises & core/stretching
    • and hope they are an early developer ...
  • From U14-U16, same as above, add weights and study/implement tactical side
  • U17 onwards, watch the planets align due to your awesome plan ... perfection ;)

In our area there's a massive gap between rec and club soccer. Growing up in SoCal in the 80s this wasn't the case. AYSO was fine for most kids. Back then clubs were not as pervasive. I coached my kids rec teams and even though I played through high school, club, and had college offers, I just wasn't a very good coach. That's when I knew my kids probably needed something different. Most of rec is parent led and most parents have no idea what they're doing.

At the same time, there are things that come with club soccer that have nothing to do with the sport. Our kids have developed a lot of friendships outside of their school bubble. Going to tournaments is super fun for the kids. We also get to spend a lot of one-on-one time with them with all the driving to practices/games/tournaments. It's kind of a forcing function. Club soccer during covid was a godsend. I am so grateful they had that as an outlet.

I do agree with @watfly that futsal is super rewarding for the kids -- as is pickup in general. Even local soccer camps are great. These are the things that help build a young player's confidence. Confidence is vital for their long term interest in the sport (or anything for that matter).

I think the thing to watch out for is getting into it too deep at the early ages. Some parents are pretty insane and think their kids are going to go pro at the age of 5. There's a lot of ego wrapped up in all of this. Nobody has any idea where kids will land after puberty. The most important thing to remember is that it has to be fun for the kids. The minute it isn't....is the minute you need to pump the brakes and do something different. For example, if you're doing a lot of joysticking/armchair-coaching during your kid's games, you're probably on the wrong track. If your goal is for your 6-10 year old to play college/pro soccer then you're probably doing something wrong. If your goal is for your kid to have an extra-curricular activity that they can carry into high school, then remember it's a marathon not a sprint. Over time you will be able to gauge their interest and if they want more (side training, etc).

At the end of the day you need to give your kid a say in this. They need to feel invested in the direction, otherwise it's just their parents forcing them into something they don't really care about.
+1 for everything NorCal dad said including getting in too deep too soon

The history of this is that rec was pretty much the only game in town in the 70s 80s and early 90s. Club teams existed but were generally locally based, started at older ages and not as pervasive. But rec soccer undid itself

First was the issue of relying on parent volunteers. Some of the coaching in even the fundamentals of soccer isn’t very good and because you are relying on volunteers in a semi randomized system you may not get a very good coach. The ayso coaching material is great but you only get what you put into it. We had a game when the kids were very young for example where the coach on the kickoff lined the kids up on the line of scrimmage in a football three point stance (it worked to score but the kids learned nothing about soccer with that “play”).

The second issue was the everyone plays together from the future pro to the handicapped kid that ayso pushed. It frustrated the really good player (who was either scoring by outrunning the other players or not developing because the other players couldn’t connect the ball with them). It also frustrated the handicapped player because kids are smart and no one would pass the ball to them for fear of losing it. Unlike the us European Rec (which is what most people play) is tiered. Ayso has remedied some of this by introducing vip, all stars, extras and United but United is club ball, there’s quite a bit of politics in all stars and extras and there is still quite a bit of discrepancy in the core program among players

The last issue is referees are also volunteers. When I was a cr for ayso I had ars which couldn’t call the offside rule properly to save their lives and not complicated stuff like a rebound or face beyond the line but basic stuff like no offside on throwins

Bottom line is Rec is like a box of chocolates. You don’t try out and so don’t have any control over what you get (yeah I know there is some politicking and exceptions). You might have a great experience or your kid may have difficulty even learning the fundamentals. And what caused my kid to move on was when he asked all his core teammates to train with him to practice for extras but they had moved onto other sports or Disneyland aps after the soccer season but he wanted to keep playing.

+1 for everything NorCal dad said including getting in too deep too soon

The history of this is that rec was pretty much the only game in town in the 70s 80s and early 90s. Club teams existed but were generally locally based, started at older ages and not as pervasive. But rec soccer undid itself

First was the issue of relying on parent volunteers. Some of the coaching in even the fundamentals of soccer isn’t very good and because you are relying on volunteers in a semi randomized system you may not get a very good coach. The ayso coaching material is great but you only get what you put into it. We had a game when the kids were very young for example where the coach on the kickoff lined the kids up on the line of scrimmage in a football three point stance (it worked to score but the kids learned nothing about soccer with that “play”).

The second issue was the everyone plays together from the future pro to the handicapped kid that ayso pushed. It frustrated the really good player (who was either scoring by outrunning the other players or not developing because the other players couldn’t connect the ball with them). It also frustrated the handicapped player because kids are smart and no one would pass the ball to them for fear of losing it. Unlike the us European Rec (which is what most people play) is tiered. Ayso has remedied some of this by introducing vip, all stars, extras and United but United is club ball, there’s quite a bit of politics in all stars and extras and there is still quite a bit of discrepancy in the core program among players

The last issue is referees are also volunteers. When I was a cr for ayso I had ars which couldn’t call the offside rule properly to save their lives and not complicated stuff like a rebound or face beyond the line but basic stuff like no offside on throwins

Bottom line is Rec is like a box of chocolates. You don’t try out and so don’t have any control over what you get (yeah I know there is some politicking and exceptions). You might have a great experience or your kid may have difficulty even learning the fundamentals. And what caused my kid to move on was when he asked all his core teammates to train with him to practice for extras but they had moved onto other sports or Disneyland aps after the soccer season but he wanted to keep playing.
Ps the way out of the box of chocolates problem is to coach them yourself but a. That assumes you know what you are doing re the fundamentals or know the basics of the game and are willing to put in the time and research to find out (which requires more than a quick perusal of the ayso manual), b. Have the time to do it (not everyone’s jobs allow for it), c. Leads to the problems some people develop as daddy coaches with their kid, and d. Doesn’t get you away from what you may get with the other players or the refs so you have to be chill or you and your kid will wind up having a bad experience (as one infamous poster on these boards who put their kid in both rec and club to give the kid more touches and leadership skills discovered)

There is a sweet spot for club soccer between 10 and 14 that is pretty important. (Late elementary school to freshman year of hs).
If your kid is a "pitch rat" and wants to be around soccer 24/7- then pour in whatever you can for them.
If at any point during that 4 year period, they don't want to put in extra training (and THEY have to want it. It can't be something you force them to do), then you need to check your priorities.
Club soccer has been great for our family- but none of my kids are playing in college. Once you hit 10th grade- There becomes a lot of separation in the kids that want/need to play in college and those that were decent players, but have lots of competing interests.

Some great responses and advice, in particular the stuff regarding futsal/indoor (it is absolutely vital for any player IMO). You can spot the futsal players or exceptional decision makers in about 2 minutes watching almost any game.

One thing nobody mentioned is early engagement with a ball, something championed by renowned American coach Tom Byer (he is far more popular in Asia than here in the US but he's got more traction here in recent years). If you miss out on that engagement then you miss out on a crucial part of development that cannot be replicated or replaced. Does that mean everyone absolutely has to engage with a ball as a toddler? no. Are those players who do engage with a ball at a very young age usually more proficient in terms of their technical skills and ball handling? invariably, yes.

There's been quite a bit of anecdotal research and interviews with top level players and almost all of them had this early engagement period; that doesn't mean they joined a club team at 4 yrs old, it just means they were familiar with and comfortable with a ball at their feet at a very young age. I believe language learning is similar in terms of early engagement.

Early engagement with a ball.
Futsal/indoor soccer.
Pickup with older/younger kids.

Some structured coaching/tactical training as you get older is important but the above 3 things are more beneficial than anything else in terms of individual player development.

Back