How's that Elite 64 League going?

Appreciate the clarification. I always wondered why Next had a league in a league. What you wrote clearly explained why.

What happens to MLS Next Players that don't make it to the "next level"?

Do they just continue playing in the MLS Next league until they age out if they're not getting picked to play in the MLS or wherever?

Do they fall back to college? Do colleges recruit from Next?

Are these the players that end up playing at community colleges + trying to work the transfer portal onto better teams?
Yes colleges recruit from next. Depends on grades and region

in SoCal regular mls next is > than ecnl which only has like 10ish clubs on the boys side. In Washington state ecnl is king because sounders (an academy team) is currently the only mls option. There was a post recently about Texas where some next teams have left to join ecnl and mls recruited some clubs with less of a track record than Red Bulls.

Depends on the region. In Norcal the US Club circuits are more open to team based competition. Norcal Premier League is set up to be Pro/Rel at the team level between Flight 2 (NPL 2), Flight 1 (NPL 1), and ECRL. The result is very good and balanced ECRL League that is not Club based. It would be advantageous for US Club soccer and the Players to implement the same structure in SoCal. I agree that the USYS E64 and NL Pro structure is set up to break up the club monopolys, and give the underdog teams a legitimate opportunity to play at the highest levels. I hope it succeeds. Problem is, USYS needs buy in from the top performing clubs, and right now, E64 just isn't consistent enough in quality to get those ECRL/GA/EA/DPL/MLS Next teams to move over.

Ah. Yeah. NorCal doesn’t even have any presence in this new league yet, so your views might stem from that too. It’s definitely region dependent and I definitely look at SoCal the most, where the leagues are also the most closed. I tried to leave rankings/tiers out of it but… Some regions have their top RL teams also playing E64. I’ve seen at least one club with ECNL place their second teams in E64 and third in RL And then there’s good teams in the league that aren’t in EC*L for whatever reason.

It’s hard to tell because you never really know roster situations at tournaments but the E64 teams seem to do all right whenever they play teams from the other leagues. More wins than losses from my sampling. Your tiers are very blurry outside the top 20ish/30ish ECNL teams. (Note, I’ve really only looked at the girls side.)

And I don’t mean succeeds as in must be the best league, just another good league that’s more open and gives parents and players another viable option for good competition

Check our Division 1 North Girls 2011 - the top flight for the Girls 2011. There are teams that were put in this division to fill up the numbers. Pro/Rel in CSL is gone.
Check out b championship north 2008. They have a team there that barely makes roster and so on any 1 game will be understaffed (because kids have events like weddings and funerals, get injured, or get sick). This used to happen in bronze and silver (heck my kid was on a silver team before letter leagues this happened to) but not in so-called championship and premiere.

Ah. Yeah. NorCal doesn’t even have any presence in this new league yet, so your views might stem from that too. It’s definitely region dependent and I definitely look at SoCal the most, where the leagues are also the most closed. I tried to leave rankings/tiers out of it but… Some regions have their top RL teams also playing E64. I’ve seen at least one club with ECNL place their second teams in E64 and third in RL And then there’s good teams in the league that aren’t in EC*L for whatever reason.

It’s hard to tell because you never really know roster situations at tournaments but the E64 teams seem to do all right whenever they play teams from the other leagues. More wins than losses from my sampling. Your tiers are very blurry outside the top 20ish/30ish ECNL teams. (Note, I’ve really only looked at the girls side.)

And I don’t mean succeeds as in must be the best league, just another good league that’s more open and gives parents and players another viable option for good competition
Lasc in SoCal purportedly has it first team boys olders (Younger’s are mls next) in e64 and it’s second team in ea. I think they are the only ones on the boys side that did that…that club really expanded with the mls next for the Younger’s. They (for the most part) didn’t do so great at nhb against ea and premiere teams. Laufa used to have its 4th team olders in e64 but that club has lost quite a few teams despite being mls next. Strikers has its north affiliate in e64.

Check our Division 1 North Girls 2011 - the top flight for the Girls 2011. There are teams that were put in this division to fill up the numbers. Pro/Rel in CSL is gone.

The top girls divisions in CSL were decimated in 2018 when the remaining top teams switched to SoCal/NPL. The top boys divisions stayed roughly on par with NPL until last year. There was some cross play in the spring/summer leagues to validate that. There’s still a few strong teams loyal to CalSouth for some unknown reason, but yeah, they’re losing teams faster than they can fill the top divisions with promotion.

The top girls divisions in CSL were decimated in 2018 when the remaining top teams switched to SoCal/NPL. The top boys divisions stayed roughly on par with NPL until last year. There was some cross play in the spring/summer leagues to validate that. There’s still a few strong teams loyal to CalSouth for some unknown reason, but yeah, they’re losing teams faster than they can fill the top divisions with promotion.
There's SoCal Elite (which is special case because of what happened in SoCal). Other than that, on the boys side it's mostly clubs that have been locked out of letter league (the most obvious example is Downtown LA which has some teams equivalent to the boys ECNL and can take even the lower level boys MLS Next Teams), Central Coast Condors (another one), some AYSO teams, Necaxa...and some rando little clubs that don't have the facilities to play SoCal. It's also not about travel....a huge chunk of the premiere league games are at Great Park with teams going there from Santa Barbara to San Diego.

... The regular teams serve as cannon fodder (for practice including to allow the second stringers some game time and the reserves an opportunity to dress).
You say this a lot, but it isn't universally true. Every year the teams shift and as MLS Next improves by bringing in the top kids from the other letter leagues, there's less of a gap. The results this year are bearing this out. I'm not saying the true academies aren't better or that any kid wouldn't leave their regular MLS Next team if an offer from an academy came, but that's where most of the academy kids come from now and the games are (almost) all competitive.

Some of the regular teams also serve as recruitment grounds (one of the reason folks want to play for Strikers isn't just because they win, or because they have a program with some specialty training that tries to approximate the academies, but also because Galaxy and LAFC regularly look at their players, indeed much more so than their ECNL affiliate LAFC-SOCAL/Real SoCal)
LAFC and Galaxy scouts, along with academy scouts from around the country, regularly come to the games, especially if they're in Silver Lakes or Great Park, and the showcases / flex / playoffs have scouts not only from colleges, but European and Mexican academies.

You say this a lot, but it isn't universally true. Every year the teams shift and as MLS Next improves by bringing in the top kids from the other letter leagues, there's less of a gap. The results this year are bearing this out. I'm not saying the true academies aren't better or that any kid wouldn't leave their regular MLS Next team if an offer from an academy came, but that's where most of the academy kids come from now and the games are (almost) all competitive.

LAFC and Galaxy scouts, along with academy scouts from around the country, regularly come to the games, especially if they're in Silver Lakes or Great Park, and the showcases / flex / playoffs have scouts not only from colleges, but European and Mexican academies.
A lot of what you say is true (eg that it isn’t universally true). but I disagree that most of the games are competitive. I regularly follow both the 07 and 08 online and I know that’s not the case. Generally the mls academy teams are dominant (both here and nationally particularly as you get older) certain clubs excepted. To the extent certain games are competitive it’s also partially because of the rotation (academy teams have rosters which don’t even dress). Also we know more than a few kids that have gone strikers to academy, notwithstanding the dominance of that particular club. The mls system is designed to have the future pros playing for academy teams because that’s where they want them training: everything else is practice fodder and recruitment base, with a huge variation in training, player recruitment and faculties (strikers on one side, tfa or murrieta on the other)

What happens to MLS Next Players that don't make it to the "next level"?

Do they just continue playing in the MLS Next league until they age out if they're not getting picked to play in the MLS or wherever?

Do they fall back to college? Do colleges recruit from Next?

Are these the players that end up playing at community colleges + trying to work the transfer portal onto better teams?
Some anecdotal evidence:

My son was on a mid-table MLS Next club last year and played up with the U19s. Of the 15 or so kids on the team 4 or 5 went to D1 schools and 4 or 5 went to D2 with a few going D3. The rest either decided to stop playing at a high level or I just didn't hear about their plans. At least 2 of the D1 and 1 of the D2 kids started (or play a lot) as freshmen (this is only the kids my son follows on the insta, I don't know about the rest).

A lot of people don't seem to realize that most of the kids that are in LAFC or Galaxy aren't going to go straight to the pro-level either, so college is an option for them as well. It's very different from Europe where there are viable semi-pro options for younger kids. Most of the non-academy MLS Next players would already be on league 2 or 3 teams by now (depending on the country).

And, yes, colleges recruit heavily from Next. The showcases are crawling with scouts, often head coaches, because there's so much talent in one place.

A lot of what you say is true (eg that it isn’t universally true). but I disagree that most of the games are competitive. I regularly follow both the 07 and 08 online and I know that’s not the case. Generally the mls academy teams are dominant (both here and nationally particularly as you get older) certain clubs excepted. To the extent certain games are competitive it’s also partially because of the rotation (academy teams have rosters which don’t even dress). Also we know more than a few kids that have gone strikers to academy, notwithstanding the dominance of that particular club. The mls system is designed to have the future pros playing for academy teams because that’s where they want them training: everything else is practice fodder and recruitment base, with a huge variation in training, player recruitment and faculties (strikers on one side, tfa or murrieta on the other)
Ps we probably have different ideas of what “competitive” means. My definition is that the game probability will be decided by a coin flip (roughly 50-50). Not that it will be close or the other team will hang in there. I agree the system isn’t designed so the mls academy stringers blow out the Washington generals 5-0 every time.

A lot of what you say is true (eg that it isn’t universally true). but I disagree that most of the games are competitive. I regularly follow both the 07 and 08 online and I know that’s not the case.
Where are you seeing results for this year? They aren't posted, so everything has to happen through the grapevine.

In U16, there are some clubs that can't keep up, but they get clobbered by everyone and age out by U17.

Generally the mls academy teams are dominant (both here and nationally particularly as you get older) certain clubs excepted.
True, but there's also the SoCal bump. SoCal non-academy teams do much better nationally than their rankings suggest because the league is so strong and the kids are heavily recruited outside of SoCal. Interestingly, though, SoCal academy teams don't dominate on the national stage.

To the extent certain games are competitive it’s also partially because of the rotation (academy teams have rosters which don’t even dress).
This is true of many of the teams now: Strikers, FCGS, LA Surf and others have rosters bigger than can dress for a given game.

Also we know more than a few kids that have gone strikers to academy, notwithstanding the dominance of that particular club. The mls system is designed to have the future pros playing for academy teams because that’s where they want them training: everything else is practice fodder and recruitment base, with a huge variation in training, player recruitment and faculties (strikers on one side, tfa or murrieta on the other)
Strikers to academy is a thing, sure, but so is Murrieta direct to the pros. Rarities like this (so-called black swans) are hard to predict. Also, the academies often aren't in SoCal.

Ps we probably have different ideas of what “competitive” means. My definition is that the game probability will be decided by a coin flip (roughly 50-50). Not that it will be close or the other team will hang in there. I agree the system isn’t designed so the mls academy stringers blow out the Washington generals 5-0 every time.
I think we have a different definition of "cannon fodder". A team that you have to work hard to beat isn't cannon fodder. It's when you're so much better you don't have to try that (both teams) get into trouble.

Where are you seeing results for this year? They aren't posted, so everything has to happen through the grapevine.

In U16, there are some clubs that can't keep up, but they get clobbered by everyone and age out by U17.

True, but there's also the SoCal bump. SoCal non-academy teams do much better nationally than their rankings suggest because the league is so strong and the kids are heavily recruited outside of SoCal. Interestingly, though, SoCal academy teams don't dominate on the national stage.

This is true of many of the teams now: Strikers, FCGS, LA Surf and others have rosters bigger than can dress for a given game.

Strikers to academy is a thing, sure, but so is Murrieta direct to the pros. Rarities like this (so-called black swans) are hard to predict. Also, the academies often aren't in SoCal.
My sons first team which is still bumping along mid tier coast has more players than can dress. I know very well from personal experience it’s a thing at mls next. But I’m seeing it more and more at the lower levels. Then there are teams like the coast team at championship I pointed out that can’t make roster and even some teams at the ea and ecrl levels that struggle to get a full roster or advertising for goalies a few weeks prior to season. Some ea2 and e64 teams are still pumping hard for players on the boards. Is this a thing as they get older now: people congregating onto certain teams even among equivalent leagues which aren’t full? Doesn’t necessarily correspond to winning record or not either so is it regional, the pull of certain mls next teams in the region, the coaches, all the above and more? I get why you’d join an academy team to sit on reserves or as third keeper….I don’t get why you’d do that for regular next or below
I think we have a different definition of "cannon fodder". A team that you have to work hard to beat isn't cannon fodder. It's when you're so much better you don't have to try that (both teams) get into trouble.
Yes we do. I’d regard that as just target practice like the washington generals. There’s no point in playing if the stringers won’t get something out of it

I definitely understand that - our girls have been playing up in CSL for the past 3 seasons and tried to play against boys this year. My comment was more to show there is a team that is getting rolled by double digits every game that definitely did not go through pro/rel to get there. They're Flight 3 at best playing in the top flight when the team was literally formed 3 weeks before the season started according to their IG.

@Grace T. out of curiosity where are you seeing MLS Next results? we can't see them anywhere besides what we're told or the team sees on IG. I was told on here it would be through the club kitman lab account. (Frustrating for scheduling purposes)

@Grace T. out of curiosity where are you seeing MLS Next results? we can't see them anywhere besides what we're told or the team sees on IG. I was told on here it would be through the club kitman lab account. (Frustrating for scheduling purposes)
Not seeing them for this year except the games and highlights that have been posted online at YouTube insta and places

Not seeing them for this year except the games and highlights that have been posted online at YouTube insta and places
Ps I just saw that laufa bit the dust as in independent club. It’s now Albion Los Angeles. Soon the boys side will be all surfs and Albions.

Back