how to photograph/video my kid

Good morning!

New GK/soccer mom here, curious about how you photograph/video your GK. Currently, I only have my iPhoneX, and half of the time I miss my kid's plays because I am too excited or distracted. My kid does not play for an academy team, so no one is taping the team for me, but he really likes reviewing video of his plays. He's an 06, so I don't need high quality HD, because as far as I know, no one is scouting my 12 year old. Do you all have any recommendations on video equipment? I understand that the rules do not allow me behind the net, so I figure I need to get a tripod, but I am unsure of what else I need (extra batteries?). As you can probably tell, I am not familiar with AV equipment, don't currently own a video recorder or a camera. Budget is definitely a concern, as I do not have unlimited buckets of cash. :)
thanks!

If on a budget, buy a used video camera that records to an SD card and has a decent zoom lens. Set it up on a tripod and adjust the zoom so that it captures the defensive third of the field. Push record at the start of each half (turn it off during halftime). If you want shorter video clips, stop the recording when the ball is out of play.

Set it up on a tripod and adjust the zoom so that it captures the defensive third of the field. Push record at the start of each half (turn it off during halftime). If you want shorter video clips, stop the recording when the ball is out of play.
I do this, you can get HD for about $250 Canon or Sony. I then Bluetooth transfer to Ipad, edit in 30 minutes since most of the time nothing is happening, and then load to youtube from the ipad. Whole game becomes 10 minutes for the defensive third.

Hi, We are really lucky we have a dad that films all the games with Hi-Pole Camera. I wish I could take credit, but I borrowed this set-up from another keeper dad...we have go-pro that we have positioned behind the goal. You can get some really great video and shots without having to think about it. I built a PVC/Stake/GoPro Mount for grass, and bought a Tri-pod with a weighted sandbag for turf in case of wind.

If on a budget, buy a used video camera that records to an SD card and has a decent zoom lens. Set it up on a tripod and adjust the zoom so that it captures the defensive third of the field. Push record at the start of each half (turn it off during halftime). If you want shorter video clips, stop the recording when the ball is out of play.

This is how I do it. I have twins (boy and girl) who play full time goalie for their 05 teams. I also am the unofficial team photographer for both teams so I first set up the video camera (Just a cheap Canon video on a tripod) pointing at the goal and hit record for each half. I zoom out a bit so I can get a wider view. It records as I walk around taking pictures of the players during the game. I later edit the video from usually 60-80 minutes (depending if a tournament or league game) to about 4-6 minutes depending on how much action they get. I have a Mac so I just use iMovie to edit, it's pretty easy. Have fun and good luck !!!!!!

I, also, record all of my GK's games. I use a Sony HDR-CX440. I set it up on a tripod and capture the 18 yard box+. I set it up, hit record and leave it.

It has been a great learning tool! I can go through and edit it down to about 6 minutes of just the goalkeeper play. Then my son and I review and I can send to his goalkeeper trainer for review.

The film review is really valuable!

Tim

Back