How to convince my kid to guest play.

They either WANT to play soccer or they don't. The desire to play has to overcome the fear. If it doesn't, don't force it. Long term, it will kill their desire.
I have two girls playing in different age groups so often times one will be in a tourney while the other won't have anything going on, in these cases, my kids and I would rather they play. We try to guest with teams that aren't in the same areas or flights as our current teams so there isn't any conflict of interest.
I can't see any reason why guesting is hurtful when done correctly. JMO.

My player's involvement with guesting was very positive...Her first experience was helping out a team from Seattle that came to Surf minus a few players due to injury, and vacations at U14. Surf has(d) a sign-up for available guests segregated by age group and they contacted us. She did not know the coach or any of the players. We thought she would get 10-15 mins on the pitch, but she ended up starting by Sat morning and playing 90% of the game. It helped her to hear some coaching from someone different, and he ended up providing her with a positive reference on her player profile. Since she did not get any attention from ODP, I thought it would make her profile stand out more to have a recommendation from a coach in Seattle.

She also guested with United FC, a local club, to help them out in a championship game when they lost 2 players to injuries in the semis. It helped her confidence to assimilate with the other players right away, and they ended up winning the championship. Lastly, she guested with a number of teams from within our club that exposed her to some of the other coaches and players in the older age groups. Very positive all around.

She is soon to be 12, a 2005 player. I'll respond to this one since it has 5 good points(even if it is two #4's).

1 - The coach that keeper trains her would love to have her on his team. He was open about it. He also knows she loves her current coach and team. He is a good trainer, and has introduced her to a college coach that she was able to work with in group training with older girls. He also wants to see her in game situation so he can tailor his training towards things she needs to work on. He has been using an 06 keeper from one of his other teams for tourneys.

2 - Some games she only gets 5-10 touches as a keeper, so extra experience before league is nice. This will be the start of her 2nd full year at keeper. Also want to see how a big club operates compared to a small club. So many things happen with current clubs that having more knowledge about the club landscape can't be a bad thing.

3 - I hope she kills it. Better to be in high demand. Then again it seems like girl keepers are that way anyways.

4(first one) - She gets a lot of practice time, but being a keeper doesn't always get a lot of game practice.

4(2nd one) - Spoke with current coach already. He always wants the best for all the girls, Probably why we didn't lose a single girl from last year to this year. He understands that she also plays basketball, and that we may miss the occasional practice to that. He also knows we love the team, and that our current team always comes first. He also lets other players guest with us.

Thanks everyone for all your responses. Nice range to them.

Sandshark made some insightful points, but I wanted to focus on the first point. From what you've posted it appears as though your daughter's current coach is a winner. His team had zero turnover from last season and it is probably because your coach is genuinely more concerned with what is in the players best interests rather than his own interests. If you've found a coach like that, hold on to them with a death grip.

Your daughter's GK trainer has also done some things that could potentially be considered character red flags. Introducing her to a college coach may seem cool, but it comes off as a sales technique to try to impress you. He also asked her to guest with his team so he could see her in game action and tailor his training to what she needs to work on. If that was his true motivation, you might want to ask yourself how many times he has previously passed on opportunities to see her in action with her current team.

As for the differences between a big club & a small club, usually it's just the color of the uniform they are wearing.

She might not be ready to deal with the anxieties she could face being a guest keeper or defender. Find out if her center back or one of her defenders (familiar voice) can guest play with her.

Different Mindsets from the last cycle of Unicorns and Stallions. Be careful of the thoughts you allow to enter into the athletic minds of these Unicorns y Stallions.

Most of these things are true, but I think it depends on how you look at it if it is "good" or "bad." From the perspective of a coach who has spent his/her time and energy developing and working with players, yeah, all of these things are bad. But look at it from another perspective: My kid was perfectly happy playing for her coach/team. But they were dark for a month and didn't have many tournaments booked. She guest played for two different clubs. She returned to her team sharper and more experienced. Fast forward 18 months, and her club plays musical chairs with the coaches and she is separated from her coach. Now she gets a coach that was terrible. The team starts to fall apart and players scatter. Because of her guesting experience, she knows another coach and team. They liked her, she likes them. No need for us to do the try-out-meat-market circuit. Boom. Problem solved. So, I disagree that "NOTHING" good "ever" comes out of guesting. It was great for us.

I guess you are a coach, yes?

No I am not a coach.

Sounds to me that You want to guest play - not your daughter

I think it's hilarious that you always assume and imply parents are trying to make their kids do things they don't want to do and that's a bad thing... My kid doesn't want to eat his vegetables, wipe his ass, or shower... kids don't always know everything, especially things that don't have an immediate impact/rather long term consequences. Helping them understand that is something called parenting - and we all need help with that now and then.

My sons a GK too. Would anyone mind giving me the 411 about guesting for future reference....what are the rules of eligibility? how do you find teams that need a guest? When do kids generally start guesting?
I think it's hilarious that you always assume and imply parents are trying to make their kids do things they don't want to do and that's a bad thing... My kid doesn't want to eat his vegetables, wipe his ass, or shower... kids don't always know everything, especially things that don't have an immediate impact/rather long term consequences. Helping them understand that is something called parenting - and we all need help with that now and then.

You most definitely need help with parenting if you kid still don't want to wipe his own ass.

Sandshark made some insightful points, but I wanted to focus on the first point. From what you've posted it appears as though your daughter's current coach is a winner. His team had zero turnover from last season and it is probably because your coach is genuinely more concerned with what is in the players best interests rather than his own interests. If you've found a coach like that, hold on to them with a death grip.

Your daughter's GK trainer has also done some things that could potentially be considered character red flags. Introducing her to a college coach may seem cool, but it comes off as a sales technique to try to impress you. He also asked her to guest with his team so he could see her in game action and tailor his training to what she needs to work on. If that was his true motivation, you might want to ask yourself how many times he has previously passed on opportunities to see her in action with her current team.

As for the differences between a big club & a small club, usually it's just the color of the uniform they are wearing.

We are very happy with the current coaching staff and team, we have been fortunate that everything has went as well as it did.

I understand where you are coming from with regards to our trainer. He admitted up front that he would love to have her on his team, so he has never hid anything from us. He also thinks she can be really good and seems to genuinely want to help her. The one time he might have been able to see her play was when his teams had games going on. The college coach training didn't come across as a sales pitch. Just the hardest workout my daughter ever had. Because he is familiar with her, his team seems to be the best match for our first dip into guest playing.

My daughter has decided to play. I'll probably be more nervous for her than she will be. Trying to decide what is best for our kids is never easy.

Love your last comment.

Hold on a minute! Isn't it Sandshark who is usually accusing people of "being a coach" when they have a differing opinion.
Haha. Just to be clear, I wasn't "accusing." It's just that his/her views on guesting mirror those that a coach might have, so I was simply curious. I respect most coaches by and large, so it isn't an accusation in my mind.

Messi nor Ronaldo shit off themselves on a consistent level until u13... You are on track in terms of world class development.

Hold on a minute! Isn't it Sandshark who is usually accusing people of "being a coach" when they have a differing opinion.

Oh no, no, no I have zero issue with anyone having a different view than I do, I actually like that. I just don't like it when some people start twisting the truth around or putting words in my mouth or taking things out of context to get a rise out of me, so when that happens I figure it must be a -Snake Oil Salesman---> coach tactics- ha ha I write and ad my .2 on this site so that I can see others opinions, that is why I am here.

Oh no, no, no I have zero issue with anyone having a different view than I do, I actually like that. I just don't like it when some people start twisting the truth around or putting words in my mouth or taking things out of context to get a rise out of me, so when that happens I figure it must be a -Snake Oil Salesman---> coach tactics- ha ha I write and ad my .2 on this site so that I can see others opinions, that is why I am here.
Twenty cents is too much, please keep it to two.

Back