How important is a Soccer players running form....

46n2

SILVER ELITE
the ability to move on the field, track a player or ball down, shoot or defend when off balance. Do you think players that are naturally gifted with a good running form progress better than other players that waddle or never lift their heads when they run?
Now Im not talking cardio, Im just talking strides, gant, whatever you wanna call it......

In my opinion, running form is very important in soccer. It's not just speed that counts; it is the ability to turn at speed, which requires a lower center of gravity and a faster turnover rate, and that means shorter strides. Additionally, lean must be reduced so that one may move in any direction at speed.

Soccer is not running it is Soccer. Soccer is a high speed short burst duration sport. Game fitness is dependent upon high intensity training done with a ball. You can be fast with the best runnners gait in the world but if you can’t run with a ball at speed of body and mind all while keeping the ball at your feet than it don’t matter. Furthermore movement off the ball is more an issue of tactics both team and situational than of body type or technique.

Running form is huge, unfortunately its one of the most overlooked aspects by coaches likely because of the attitude Nutmeg illustrates. Proper body mechanics are the basis for everything you do on the pitch, its impossible to have ball speed if you don't have foot speed. Not so much the legs, but I see a lot of improper running techinique when it comes to the arms. Too many kids with floppy T-rex arms or not driving arms forward which severely limits their speed and quickness. First step mechanics are critical as well. Our kids trained at the Union MLS academy last year and their director had the kids stand on the line with both feet parallel. He told them to sprint and in every case each kid stepped backwards with one foot to push off before moving forward. That makes you a half step slower which can be a lot in soccer.

Running form is huge, unfortunately its one of the most overlooked aspects by coaches likely because of the attitude Nutmeg illustrates. Proper body mechanics are the basis for everything you do on the pitch, its impossible to have ball speed if you don't have foot speed. Not so much the legs, but I see a lot of improper running techinique when it comes to the arms. Too many kids with floppy T-rex arms or not driving arms forward which severely limits their speed and quickness. First step mechanics are critical as well. Our kids trained at the Union MLS academy last year and their director had the kids stand on the line with both feet parallel. He told them to sprint and in every case each kid stepped backwards with one foot to push off before moving forward. That makes you a half step slower which can be a lot in soccer.
The fact that you mention an MLS academy tells me all I need to know about you.

the ability to move on the field, track a player or ball down, shoot or defend when off balance. Do you think players that are naturally gifted with a good running form progress better than other players that waddle or never lift their heads when they run?
Now Im not talking cardio, Im just talking strides, gant, whatever you wanna call it......

"...gant..."?

One of the best players in U16/17 is a waddler. Good luck to other girls catching her or taking the ball from her. Now, heads down is another issue.

We have a player that looks like he is running with metal leg braces on. Tall, lanky, and just plain goofy looking as he goes. But, he is an incredible defender. Triple + speed, good touch, and all around solid soccer player. Other teams marvel at his abilities in games.

But, if you just saw him in drills, his running style is just down right funny looking. He's been overlooked at many tryouts to our benefit.

The player’s ability to stay in the game, meaning stamina and skill and soccer IQ... I’ll takr that player over anyone with good running form.

With the amount of running you do in soccer, without question running technique is important. Good running technique is not going to transform a poor runner into a fast runner, but good technique can make you a more efficient runner, or have a better burst, or run better with the ball. These little things add up and make a difference vs. good competition.

My son was always one of the fastest players on the field and he had good endurance too, but as he got older I noticed he didn't have the same burst, was over striding when dribbling, and tired out faster. I took him to a speed trainer who told me my boy wasn't driving with his arms and was overstriding, which reduced his burst and was not ideal for dribbling (you want knees high when dribbling).

I honestly have no idea what exactly the speed trainer did, but my boy definitely improved his running form and had a better burst and tighter dribble after a few months of training. I can't say his endurance improved, but if I figured if he's running faster and his endurance stays the same, that's pretty good. Usually more speed means less endurance and vice versa.

Back