How does your team practice building out of the back?

Again, short sighted to focus on the spectacular goals from across the top pro league's season (that are a byproduct of 99% of the work before it). If we're going to post YouTube videos that focus on building from the back then this is more appropriate:

Part of the reason we don't teach tactics until older ages in the US is because kids aren't learning ball skills at home as part of their soccer culture. I bet 5 year olds in Spain/Brazil/etc learn stepovers before a coach ever gets a hold of them.

Tom Byer (TomSan) has written books about training touch on the ball from the earliest ages. Learning to control the ball with the sole of your foot is one of the most important skills the youngest players can learn. Many of the problems we have here in the US all come down to culture. How the game is taught in the homes has a huge impact on player skills.

Again, short sighted to focus on the spectacular goals from across the top pro league's season (that are a byproduct of 99% of the work before it). If we're going to post YouTube videos that focus on building from the back then this is more appropriate:

Far more important that the large circle rondo (usually just used as a warm up) are the practical rondos. Here's a good introductory article. http://thesefootballtimes.co/2014/09/01/the-allure-of-the-rondo/

What position does your Daughter play?

My son's team has had a few scrimmages and they have had a hard time passing the ball out of the backfield. The coach does offer some pointers here and there during practice but I would think that they would focus on it more given how often we have to do it and our lack of success with it. As a good parent (and still learning the game myself), I don't say anything but was wondering what are other teams doing to practice building out of the back specifically? I've seen a little of the 3four3 stuff and it looks good but just seeing if there is any other advice/viewpoints out there.
You must have a keeper that can play with his feet. Or it won't work.

What position does your Daughter play?

Currently she plays the 10. My boys both played Center-back and right-back. I'm not currently coaching but used to coach flight 1/2 boys. My teams spent at least part of every practice doing some variety of rondo progressions and a lot of work playing out of the back with CBs split and the 6 or 8 (or sometimes a dual 6) dropping into the middle. POTB is all about movement off the ball, losing your man and making good decisions.

You must have a keeper that can play with his feet. Or it won't work.

Our last keeper originally wasn't very good with his feet. He wanted to boot the ball to nowhere. After a ton of work, he actually became very calm on the ball and pretty good at moving the ball around.

Thanks all for the responses. Some really good info/advice. We're going to keep working on our first-touch, field awareness, positioning, and off-the-ball movements.

Anyone ever move from a team that tries to play out of the back to a team that plays direct?
Heard about a few this weekend with players moving to new teams.

Back