How do you deal with the higher level club(A team) taking kids from your team (B team)

My experience is that most clubs highest level teams get players from other clubs' higher level teams, that is, they want "A" players regardless of their last club. "B" players, are for the most part, "B" players. Those very few that find themselves in a situation of being promoted from within should count themselves lucky as they are the exception and not the norm. This is probably the biggest fallacy of "developmental" leagues/clubs/teams.

An interesting situation came up in our neighborhood club a few years ago. The A team was pretty well set from the previous year and was set to contest for promotion into the top Presidio level. A big-for-his-age former rec player tried out for the team, but couldn't crack the A roster as a starter. The coaches offered the parents and player a deal - play on the B team, or play a year for the A team a year up (in Presidio AA-C, the lowest level) where he could be a starting defender against kids more his size. They took the deal, and he came back to tryouts the next year with some good game-play experience and made the A team.

My experience is that most clubs highest level teams get players from other clubs' higher level teams, that is, they want "A" players regardless of their last club. "B" players, are for the most part, "B" players. Those very few that find themselves in a situation of being promoted from within should count themselves lucky as they are the exception and not the norm. This is probably the biggest fallacy of "developmental" leagues/clubs/teams.

I have only seen girls moved up a

At many clubs the talent difference is too great between the A and B team to really recruit from within. But even if there is a girl or two who could be moved up, coaches always want girls from other clubs instead. If you have a B team player that you think is ready for the next level, I would look around at other clubs for a coach that will give her a chance.

I have only seen girls moved up a

At many clubs the talent difference is too great between the A and B team to really recruit from within. But even if there is a girl or two who could be moved up, coaches always want girls from other clubs instead. If you have a B team player that you think is ready for the next level, I would look around at other clubs for a coach that will give her a chance.

In some cases this is 100% correct. Sometimes the "A" team coach can't see the talent right in front of their face. There are some clubs that do. At the end of the day if a coach has 40+ players tryout for 18-22 roster spots and some girls from outside the club show better you can't really fault a coach. You can fault them when there are "B" team players that are better than the "A" team talent. I have seen both scenarios.

Back