How can we hold Referees Accountable for letting games get out of control?

I've seen a ref crew in Orange County that has wireless headset/microphone setups
There is a crew that works East County San Diego that has one. They are a good crew. Those setups are expensive.

I've seen AYSO use them for mentoring new referee's, too.

I do not know if this has been talked about already, but more and more I see to much violance in the field and ref' s allowing it!!!

When referring gets out of control letting our boys kill each other until someone gets really hurt, or worse, ref's taking sides and players knowing this.

Question? If my son gets hurt so bad that he cannot play ever again becouse ref's allowing violant play, are they liable to get fired/sued?
What do you mean by violent play? It is not up to the referee to allow or not allow anything. His job is to enforce competition rules.

One flaw in the system is that the referee and AR only have one time to really "talk" - halftime. So if, as AR, I see something behind the play I "don't like" but doesn't necessarily elevate to a foul, it might be 30 minutes before I have a chance to review this with the referee. This is one way the shenanigans don't get called. Referees need to build how to address this in their pregame discussions, and if means holding up play to share information, it needs to be done. (Which, yes, I will do at a stoppage.)
This is completely inaccurate. If referees are trained well and are doing their jobs as they should, they would be communicating throughout the game, from the the first to the last minute and they don't have to stop the game to do so.

I've seen a ref crew in Orange County that has wireless headset/microphone setups so they could talk to each other during the game. I don't know how much it helps, but they are an excellent crew and I am always happy to see them at a game.
There are many referees with these electronic gizmos but with or without them it is easy to communicate and stay connected throughout the match.

One flaw in the system is that the referee and AR only have one time to really "talk" - halftime. So if, as AR, I see something behind the play I "don't like" but doesn't necessarily elevate to a foul, it might be 30 minutes before I have a chance to review this with the referee. This is one way the shenanigans don't get called. Referees need to build how to address this in their pregame discussions, and if means holding up play to share information, it needs to be done. (Which, yes, I will do at a stoppage.)
One big problem with many referee crews is the lack of "mirroring". If an assistant sees a foul, or other misconduct that the referee can't see (including the AR flag), the OPPOSITE AR should call this to the referee's attention with their flag.

Sadly too many crews fail to mirror, leading to the coaches and crowd yelling at the referee (who is trying to block them out). This also occurs with injuries.

There is a way to let the referee and player know they are pushing the limits and in danger of having a foul called on them before the halftime break. All you have to do is verbally, loud enough for the CR to hear, tell the player (use their jersey color and number) to knock off whatever they are doing. The CR and the player will hear. This will clue-in the CR. As long as the CR is not a complete moron they can keep an eye on that player. This should be discussed in the pregame.

One big problem with many referee crews is the lack of "mirroring". If an assistant sees a foul, or other misconduct that the referee can't see (including the AR flag), the OPPOSITE AR should call this to the referee's attention with their flag.

Sadly too many crews fail to mirror, leading to the coaches and crowd yelling at the referee (who is trying to block them out). This also occurs with injuries.
I think this comment highlights yet another problem, namely, the lack by the AR of first looking at the referee before raising the flag, and the lack by the referee, of looking at the AR with each pass and to both ARs at every stoppage. If the AR first looks at the referee and sees the referee is unlikely to see the flag, unless there is potential for major affectation of the match, why should they raise the flag at all? Secondly, if the referee is looking directly at the action, has a good angle and is not blocked, why would the AR raise the flag at all?

One flaw in the system is that the referee and AR only have one time to really "talk" - halftime. . . .
This is not a flaw in the system but of the particular referees. The system, if properly applied, allow referees and ARs to stay connected throughout the match and to address issues in real time and not wait until half time.

It doesn’t help when the parents are yelling “push him/her brack” and “get him/her back”.
With that said, I believe there’s no referee out there hoping a player ever gets hurt. Sure, referees know certain coaches and families so it may seem one sided but it really isn’t. I had a situation last summer in a tournament where I was the center referee and one of the teams was the team my son left at the end of the season so the coach hated me. I told the field Marshall my concerns so he watched the game. As I figured, the coach was huffing and puffing throughout the game saying I was favoring the other team. After the game he was voicing his feelings of unfairness to the field Marshall. The look on his face when the field marshall informed him that I called more fouls to the other team.

I do not know if this has been talked about already, but more and more I see to much violance in the field and ref' s allowing it!!!

When referring gets out of control letting our boys kill each other until someone gets really hurt, or worse, ref's taking sides and players knowing this.

Question? If my son gets hurt so bad that he cannot play ever again becouse ref's allowing violant play, are they liable to get fired/sued?

NightOwl, it sounds like you’re looking for a non contact sport. Blaming the Ref & claiming the ref takes sides is hilarious. As the kids get better in skill and start playing more competitive, the game gets more and more physical. If your team is at the same level it was a few years ago then ...

Yesterday, I saw a HS game where the attacker (White), in the box tried to beat 2 defenders (Green) and in the process lost the ball. This Varsity player successfully defeated a shoulder charge and potential trip and eventually the player feigned a trip with both feet together, leaped in the air, chest out and arms back in some sort of swim/diving form and tumbled to the ground (no call as the previous contact was acceptable and the final contact was a clean tackle and obvious feign). His team's sideline went ballistic. Thereafter, the Green team is moving up field and the White defender moves in for a tackle, misses, trips over the Green teams leg and goes flying through the air (no call, potential foul by White, but advantage), White's sideline erupts in disbelief apparently believing that anytime one of their players gets air its a foul and the sideline becomes even louder, then a White defender in a last ditch effort to stop the attack knocks the Green attacker off the ball with a massive shoulder charge from behind sending the Green attacker to the ground (whistle - foul).

What the White sideline saw was two incompetent referees allowing their players to get fouled and fly all over the field and then when their player uses physical contact, the referee crew was clearly biased against them by calling a foul for similar behavior.

What I saw (an experienced referee) was a good job of non-calls by the referee team (2 man system) and some physical play indicative of higher level boys varsity soccer. I also saw a uneducated sideline that was viewing the game through seriously biased glasses.

Yesterday, I saw a HS game where the attacker (White), in the box tried to beat 2 defenders (Green) and in the process lost the ball. This Varsity player successfully defeated a shoulder charge and potential trip and eventually the player feigned a trip with both feet together, leaped in the air, chest out and arms back in some sort of swim/diving form and tumbled to the ground (no call as the previous contact was acceptable and the final contact was a clean tackle and obvious feign). His team's sideline went ballistic. Thereafter, the Green team is moving up field and the White defender moves in for a tackle, misses, trips over the Green teams leg and goes flying through the air (no call, potential foul by White, but advantage), White's sideline erupts in disbelief apparently believing that anytime one of their players gets air its a foul and the sideline becomes even louder, then a White defender in a last ditch effort to stop the attack knocks the Green attacker off the ball with a massive shoulder charge from behind sending the Green attacker to the ground (whistle - foul).

What the White sideline saw was two incompetent referees allowing their players to get fouled and fly all over the field and then when their player uses physical contact, the referee crew was clearly biased against them by calling a foul for similar behavior.

What I saw (an experienced referee) was a good job of non-calls by the referee team (2 man system) and some physical play indicative of higher level boys varsity soccer. I also saw a uneducated sideline that was viewing the game through seriously biased glasses.

Did the experienced referee caution the player who committed the obvious feign at the next stoppage in play?

Did the experienced referee caution the player who committed the obvious feign at the next stoppage in play?

Why? If it was the first time they did it and did not get away with it they and all of the players that saw it will know not to do it again. If I was the ref, I would have also said after it happened "No foul. Get up and I don't want to see that again." Players know fairly quickly which refs are going to fall for faking a foul and which ones will not tolerate it. If it happens again from that same player or teammate then I will be issuing a caution.

I didn't stick around long enough to see, as I was walking by the field and simply observed this brief instance of play and sideline disorder. Because the attacking player made an ill-advised attempt to beat 2 defenders in the box when he lost the ball and took his dive, I would not have cautioned in this instance because there was some contact (legal). Without knowing if this was a pattern, I can't answer your question.

So you saw a standard HS game ;-)

Back