Hot Sun and Performance

A few months ago, I made a post saying that I thought EZ Ups were a waste of time and money. Many of you thought I was an idiot for saying this.
My rationale was that in a 70 minute game, most kids are spending about 50 minutes on the field, so sitting in the shade for 20 (non-consecutive) minutes wouldn't help much.
I'm here to say "Yes, I was/am an idiot." I came across this study of how sun can impact performance.

This article is from a popular triathlon website:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Training/Solar_Radiation_on_Performance_5870.html

It discusses how hot sun/hot skin can be linked to a drop in performance. Probably not a big surprise- If you are hot, you won't be as fast. But it also discusses the use of certain apparel items to keep your skin cool.
A lot of games are played on a fake turf surface which tends to reflect the sun and make the surface area much hotter than a grass surface.
My kids wear a "typical" Adidas uniform. Home is navy blue. Away is white. It's a heavy-ish material but it's definitely better than cotton.
Would soccer players be better served by using materials and items that a triathlete would wear?
Arm coolers. Cooler socks. Tighter materials designed to reflect the sun better. Under garments. Maybe even cleats that are designed to be cooler.

I've done quite a few triathlons (from sprint to ironman distance). Expensive clothing with hi tech materials and arm coolers were always something I used.

Cars have more power when you cool the air/fuel mixture that goes into the combustion chamber.

I also saw this study. Pretty interesting stuff.

The remarkable thing is that the exposure to solar radiation has an effect completely separate from temperature. It doesn't have to be super hot for it to affect your performance.

It seems to support an argument that SPF sleeves might make sense even on normal or cooler days, if there is a lot of sun exposure.

Thanks for the thread!

DD did the whole soccer thing. 110 at Real So Cal fields was tough. Son cycling does hotter and longer with higher effort in cycling. There is a breeze - usually from riding, so I know it is different.
I road Barstow to Kingman, Kingman to Flagstaff in 80s in 120 - in long sleeve yellow wool jersey. Had I been in short sleeves - it would have been bad.

I agree with the above "cooler" concept.

The key to heat is sweating first. That means don't be cold before play. It also means don't drink too much. Just Once sweat starts the athlete is pretty good. Of course replace electrolytes. We use just water and an external gel - Accel - Gel is fav. This allows the athlete to pour liquid over them selves (vs having to pour Gatorade over your head).
The next part is keep the sun off your skin and have something that can hold and evaporate water. Those arm coolers should work. Son rides in sleeves (white) usually.

For referees, the new jerseys are really nice and should do a better job of keeping us cool. They are lighter weight and have side vents.

Although it is getting cooler on the pitch, we will still experience matches that have some intense heat, requiring our players to hydrate. There is a product called HydroFlask, which is just a double walled, insulated thermos....but in actuality, it is so much more. My player just received one for her birthday and broke it in last weekend. It was filled with ice and water at 8:30a, and exposed to/heated by direct sun from 10:15a to about 12:45p. At 1p, it was still filled with ice. It is a really incredible way to keep your liquid cold. (This is not a paid endorsement...I am really impressed by the product performance.)

I'm looking forward to seeing how well it works next summer, hopefully in the Frisco, TX sun and heat.

One of the upsides of the HydroFlask is that it is small enough to fit in a backpack when compared to the large, plastic cooler type jugs we used before. One of the downsides is that they do not hold enough water for all the freeloaders that do not bring there own water and drink DD's water while she is on the field. If she ever comes off the field again to no water again I am going to make a spectacle of myself in front of DD's teammates.

USYS did a good job of having cold water available at all the field in Frisco. They also had large tubs of ice water to immerse players that showed symptoms of heat exhaustion.

USYS did a good job of having cold water available at all the field in Frisco. They also had large tubs of ice water to immerse players that showed symptoms of heat exhaustion.
O, I am talking about for me. I bought the 40 oz, and I am hoping to put it to the test next summer.:cool: We'll see how well it keeps beer cold this weekend.

You guys are amazing spending so much just carrying liquids....

We use Costco plastic bottled water kept in backpack, in shade. The most important role is hydration and not necessarily "ice cold".

I get that some people drive 20 yrs old POS car and some brand new BM(-B)W....

Shade is 100+ degrees so water still ends up hot. I tried regular water bottles, even cheaper insulated, but water still gets very hot. DD won't drink hot water, even if really thirsty, and then she gets dehydrated and things go really poorly.

And I drive non-luxury vehicle with 60,000 plus miles on it. Can't afford a new BMW buying expensive water bottles.

Back