High School Soccer

Hi

Could someone who knows the process explain how HS and Club soccer integrate?

1. When does the high school hiatus typically begin and end for Cal South?
2. What time of year do High School practices typically begin and end?
3. Do High School coaches typically allow Club soccer kids to skip practice on overlap days?

Thanks in advance for your insights!

Hi

3. Do High School coaches typically allow Club soccer kids to skip practice on overlap days?

YMMV

Olders....Not CS specific but ~ Thankgiving is the traditional break

HS programs (instead of PE) have already began, summer programs, etc, winter sport, practices now until league play in late Nov / Early Dec to Feb regular season; Varsity playoffs can go to late march/Apr. Spring is just light practice since the season is over for the most part some will switch out to other sports like Track...

Attendance to x amt of practices/games is often needed if you want to get minutes

Hi

HS and club soccer DO NOT integrate. When your son or daughter starts HS soccer (Winter Season), his/her club soccer team will be dark.
HS soccer Season officially starts Monday after Thanksgiving and ends with last league games for FS and JV teams (early-mid February). Varsity season can go all the way into March if a team goes deep into CIF Playoffs.
CIF (California Interscholastic Federation) DOES NOT allow HS soccer players to participate in any other sanctioned games outside HS. Club training is allowed but with 5 days a week training in HS and games, plus all the homework, dances, and other school activities, I don't know how any player will have time for extra training. Again, normally all club teams with HS aged players will be dark during HS soccer season.

What are the rules for HS training now- before the season starts in November? Are they practicing 3-4 or even 5 days a week? Playing scrimmages? I'm hearing yes, and wondering how the players manage all of that on top of their club team training and games.

What are the rules for HS training now- before the season starts in November? Are they practicing 3-4 or even 5 days a week? Playing scrimmages? I'm hearing yes, and wondering how the players manage all of that on top of their club team training and games.

There is NO rules for HS soccer training before Thanksgiving. Many schools doing is what they call "pre-season soccer" which is nothing more than another class, that's usually is a 7 period (but can be any period) and does not extend past regular school hours. Kids take this class normally instead of PE if it's available.

There is NO rules for HS soccer training before Thanksgiving. Many schools doing is what they call "pre-season soccer" which is nothing more than another class, that's usually is a 7 period (but can be any period) and does not extend past regular school hours. Kids take this class normally instead of PE if it's available.

Soccer PE is often offered as an option, and the soccer PE coach may or may not be the varsity coach.

One of the CIF rules is that high school sports, while in season (Fall, Winter or Spring) the player cannot participate in outside organized specific sports, except for ODP, National team activities. College ID camps are usually allowed but the interpretation is up to each region (i.e., CIF/SS, CIF/SD, CIF/LA). So the short answer is no, they do not integrate.

As for Calsouth, they have nothing to do with it. Usually, as mentioned already, Thanksgiving is the cut off but the actual HS season starts typically a week before Thanksgiving and most schools don't have any games prior to TG.

Official season practice starts after the date specified by CIF each year. Many schools hold tryout in early fall or even summer and use PE as a mean to hold practices for soccer teams, but its not officially season practices. Some schools, like my kids', they don't hold a tryout until November and soccer is added onto the school schedule as the 7th period and is not a PE class, per sa. It typically depends on if the coach is a teacher that also coaches or if its a full time coach elsewhere. My kids' coaches are a local college coaches and their players so they have very limited availability in the fall.

As for the ending date, for Frosh and JV, it typically ends around Valentine's Day in February. Only Varsity that make CIF playoffs go onto further dates. The CIF finals are held in early March and it ends at Regionals, the following week so at the most, its two weeks into March. There is no "State championship" like in football, because NoCal season is in the fall and not the winter time that we use.

Do you really have to ask this??? Have you ever met a coach that accommodate other coach's priority?

Assuming that you're talking about PE class used as a soccer practice, just think about the question. Do kids get to skip class because of club soccer? And if its in season, you can practice with your club team, if they are continuing because of age at 8th-9th graders, but most playing HS do not, so, in a word "NO".

Hope these help!

While HS soccer is not pretty and I don't like to watch, it's not about the game it's about the experience and comradery in school. My oldest left USSDA for Varsity and never looked back, and his younger brother will follow his lead and leave USSDA for Varsity next season.
Varsity soccer will stay with them long after club soccer is over.

While HS soccer is not pretty and I don't like to watch, it's not about the game it's about the experience and comradery in school. My oldest left USSDA for Varsity and never looked back, and his younger brother will follow his lead and leave USSDA for Varsity next season.
Varsity soccer will stay with them long after club soccer is over.
Amen to that

If you like keeper punting the ball as far as you can .And the forwards run .This is the worst soccer you can have your kid play. Join a Mexican league

Many clubs play this way, so it has nothing to do with HS soccer.
Some have great soccer programs and some don't.
An what it has to do with Mexican league? I see many teams in Mexican league play kickball.
It's all about coaching, no matter if it's a club, HS or a Mexican league.

Many clubs play this way, so it has nothing to do with HS soccer.
Some have great soccer programs and some don't.
An what it has to do with Mexican league? I see many teams in Mexican league play kickball.
It's all about coaching, no matter if it's a club, HS or a Mexican league.

From what I have seen, Mexican leagues are not burdened with the theoretical BS from USSF. They just play the game.

YMMV but high school soccer quality can vary wildly.

There are some very solid HS programs in Socal
http://www.socalsoccer.org/division/1/

Other are like the beginner brackets (bronze) in CSL or Flight 3. Most are some where between making CIF playoffs or not.

In some cases its about playing with your hometown mates, pride, supporting the HS and some play no matter if there school in division 3 or somewhere else.

A lot of people talk about the injury rates for HS soccer players but from what I've seen of my DD teammates going on her senior year is there has been a more injuries from club, ECNL vs HS but maybe that is just because the season is that much longer and some might be overplaying by doing both.

Time wise is very difficult to play HS, be on a high level club time team, and a honor student even with the dark period(s), possible be you have to have a very committed and organize person who most likely doesn't have time for a paying job to earn the $ for all they things they like.

HS and club soccer DO NOT integrate. When your son or daughter starts HS soccer (Winter Season), his/her club soccer team will be dark.
HS soccer Season officially starts Monday after Thanksgiving and ends with last league games for FS and JV teams (early-mid February). Varsity season can go all the way into March if a team goes deep into CIF Playoffs.
CIF (California Interscholastic Federation) DOES NOT allow HS soccer players to participate in any other sanctioned games outside HS. Club training is allowed but with 5 days a week training in HS and games, plus all the homework, dances, and other school activities, I don't know how any player will have time for extra training. Again, normally all club teams with HS aged players will be dark during HS soccer season.
Permissible involvement with a club team during the high school season of sport for soccer depends upon which CIF section you live in. In the San Diego Section (SDS) a player is not allowed any practice/game involvement with their club team once they've participated in a HS game. In the Southern Section (SS) a player may practice with a club team but not participate in any club game.
Club teams typically go on a hiatus once the high school season starts. There is usually a slight overlap at Thanksgiving but high school players are able to participate in club showcases on the weekend after Thanksgiving if they avoid playing in a HS game (as opposed to scrimmage) during Thanksgiving week. HS teams are allowed one scrimmage before their first game and these scrimmages are usually in the few days before Thanksgiving. A scrimmage is not an interscholastic contest (i.e. game) so a player can participate in a HS scrimmage, then play in a showcase with their club team and then return to their HS team and start playing in games the following week without impacting eligibility.
Check out the SDS Green Book ( http://www.cifsds.org/uploads/2/3/3/6/23368454/greenbook_2017-18.pdf ) or the SS Blue Book ( https://cifss.org/resources/blue-book-contents/ ) for all the gory details.
You will see some club players who will be involved in December events such as the Disney Showcase avoid playing any game with their HS team until after the event. They'll be able to join their HS team just in team for league play.

Back