GPS San Diego in Carlsbad??

Futebol Guy

BRONZE
Does anyone have any insight on GPS Carlsbad? Who’s running that program?
Ive seen a few fliers show up on my news feed but haven’t heard much

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
Mindes Dorlean

GPS San Diego DOC
Phone: 760-463-2051

WHY GLOBAL PREMIER SOCCER?
Proven record of success
GPS has won 16 Youth National Titles and countless state championships. GPS is the only club in the USA to have won 2 PDL and 2 W-League titles.

Player-Centric Organization committed to Development
GPS produces college players on a consistent basis and has a track record of developing professional and national team players.

Scope
Serving 26 states, the GPS network is comprised of over 85,000 players and hosts over 45 tournaments annually.

One Vision - Club Philosophy and Alignment
The GPS Technical Department ensures a consistent style of play is implemented progressively at all ages in all locations.

TRYOUT INFO:

GPS is run by a marketing genius with a degree from Harvard. Do your own research on all clubs when looking for pathways for your player.

GPS is run by a marketing genius with a degree from Harvard. Do your own research on all clubs when looking for pathways for your player.

I'm not sure your point. But I will say that GPS is very strong on the East Coast. May not be as known here, but no matter, it's good to have options in the community and yes, everyone should do their homework and find the right coach and right program for their player. Again, great to have options. San Diego has had too many monopolies in the past, so it's nice to see changes happening across the county. Great for families and players going forward.

GPS attempted to establish itself in San Diego a couple or so years ago and it was a complete cluster.

Again, what's your point? A few years ago and different people, do not equate to today. I think the community is more receptive of competition today, as well, and the parental mindset is different. Many people are tired of the big-box club environment. Times are changing and I think some smaller clubs, with good coaching staff, will make a comeback. I see more and more players and parents making player development a priority over winning and branding. So again, competition is good. Choice is good. Both for the community and the players.

There has been a lot of hype about GPS in So Cal so I looked into it- it was like trying to follow a rabbit hole to somewhere and never could figure it out much - makes a lot of promises and buys up or “partners” with existing clubs but doesn’t seem to have real substance that backs up the hype - at least not in so cal - I don’t have anything against it but just want parents to do their own research so they know what they are really signing up for.

.. makes a lot of promises and buys up or “partners” with existing clubs but doesn’t seem to have real substance that backs up the hype - at least not in so cal - I don’t have anything against it but just want parents to do their own research so they know what they are really signing up for.
Can't you say the same thing about Surf? Ignore the name and look at the coaches.

GPS attempted to establish itself in San Diego a couple or so years ago and it was a complete cluster.
I believe their problem was associating with someone that was alleged to have embezzled from his last club. So Presidio DOCs were going to use that as their excuse to not vote GPS into Presidio, when we all know they did not want the competition; Presidio and their closed system needs to be shut down. Being in the southern part of San Diego, it would have been impossible to expect Ulittles to travel to OC to play in another league. Being in North SD, if they are not voted into Presidio, they can easily play in Oc. In fact, parts of OC are closer than playing in Presidio and traveling to South SD.

Options are good. I wish they much luck.

I believe their problem was associating with someone that was alleged to have embezzled from his last club. So Presidio DOCs were going to use that as their excuse to not vote GPS into Presidio, when we all know they did not want the competition; Presidio and their closed system needs to be shut down. Being in the southern part of San Diego, it would have been impossible to expect Ulittles to travel to OC to play in another league. Being in North SD, if they are not voted into Presidio, they can easily play in Oc. In fact, parts of OC are closer than playing in Presidio and traveling to South SD.

Options are good. I wish they much luck.

It has been years since I have attended Presidio meetings, and it seemed like almost every year there were applications from new clubs to join. I don't recall any being voted out except for the time that Surf tried to come back after leaving Presidio a few years before in favor of SCDSL. Some of the voters remembered that the parting was bitter.

Again, what's your point? A few years ago and different people, do not equate to today. I think the community is more receptive of competition today, as well, and the parental mindset is different. Many people are tired of the big-box club environment. Times are changing and I think some smaller clubs, with good coaching staff, will make a comeback. I see more and more players and parents making player development a priority over winning and branding. So again, competition is good. Choice is good. Both for the community and the players.

I don't disagree with most of what you have to say, but my point is don't hold your breadth. Sorry for being a skeptic but I've seen too many clubs that claim they bring something new, different or are all about development. Yet they recycle the same old coaches and administrators. GPS-San Diego is just a franchise that will take on the mentality of the local operators, good or bad, but otherwise there is no evidence that GPS brings anything unique other than being big on the East Coast. I hope I'm wrong.

It has been years since I have attended Presidio meetings, and it seemed like almost every year there were applications from new clubs to join. I don't recall any being voted out except for the time that Surf tried to come back after leaving Presidio a few years before in favor of SCDSL. Some of the voters remembered that the parting was bitter.
I don't recall any club being voted out since the current member club are voted on in a block unless someone singles a club out. But new clubs are voted on individually and I do recall that the year GPS was trying to come into San Diego, a few new clubs were not allowed to join Presidio. And in fact, I recall that Shannon McMillan made a motion to somehow block non-member clubs from playing under the umbrella of a member club; I guess she could not take any more competition.

Since you are retired, please research the April minutes of Presidio meetings and report back to us. Thanks in advance.

I don't disagree with most of what you have to say, but my point is don't hold your breadth. Sorry for being a skeptic but I've seen too many clubs that claim they bring something new, different or are all about development. Yet they recycle the same old coaches and administrators. GPS-San Diego is just a franchise that will take on the mentality of the local operators, good or bad, but otherwise there is no evidence that GPS brings anything unique other than being big on the East Coast. I hope I'm wrong.
I disagree. I have seen that they band together players from different locations into an "all-star" team to compete in top tournaments. This might be attractive to players that want to play close to home or not for a DA team.

I disagree. I have seen that they band together players from different locations into an "all-star" team to compete in top tournaments. This might be attractive to players that want to play close to home or not for a DA team.
And they aren’t good at any age level. They stink. Call it what it is.

For anyone casting GPS SD in a negative light, or have questions about GPS, you probably don’t know Mindes. That man defines the word “integrity” and he is the head of GPS SD.

This is long winded, but, Mindes and the GPS relationship, soccer in San Diego, and your decision for your kid's interest is not uncomplicated. So here we go...

Our son has trained with Mindes for 5 years privately, but Mindes never had his age group. We always said "We will leave wherever we are if you end up coaching his age." Well, he did, and we did. First, we have been through the machine on the second teams at the top clubs. When our son made the decision to go with Mindes, he didn't care that the big club name was not attached to his new team (Matrix), or, that he was leaving what he knew for 20% of his entire life. He just wanted a much higher level, more dedicated, intense experience than what was being offered to him at his last club (Surf), which our son also enjoyed for a couple of years. Whether you feel positively or negatively about GPS, the one thing that can’t be overstated, it is still 100% Mindes, who again, defines integrity, dedication, and culture.

The level of training, attention, and soccer culture our son gets from Mindes is superior to everywhere else we have been. From fitness, nutrition, tactics, speed, & agility, to the emotional and mental requirements critical to the game, our son, along with other kids on the team (some of which who were on the 5th and 6th teams at other clubs), have grown exponentially in the short 9 months they have been together - to the point where they are competing against and defeating flight one and even a couple of national teams. Mindes knows how to identify talent, develop a player and, even more importantly, assure that his philosophy transcends, coaches, players, and parents.

Now, Mindes is NOT for everyone. He is for the hard core soccer player - the kid that wants to live and breathe the sport and culture. If you or your kid don't want to commit to 4 days a week with additional gym days for strength training, this is not the club for you. If you are OK with your kid competing on a diet of Chicken Mcnuggets, Big Macs, and supersized Cokes, this is not the club for you. If your kid plays 10 other sports, this is not the club for you. If you have delusions of grandeur that your kid is the next Messi, this is not the club for you. If you want a club that puts academics, nutrition, and fitness first, teaches our kids to play competitively at the highest levels, truly holds players, parents, and coaches accountable, puts a "real" vested interest in your kid on and off the field, then this is the club for you. There are pathways and opportunities through GPS, but I am not a believer in any of these clubs touting their pathways, because let's face it, out of 330 million people, Christian Pulisic is the only star to rise out of US soccer, and US soccer had absolutely nothing to do with his success.

Take what you will from this, but GPS is an international organization, and, this particular region is blessed by GPS giving Mindes the reigns to build a true soccer culture for the kids that want to live it.

For anyone casting GPS SD in a negative light, or have questions about GPS, you probably don’t know Mindes. That man defines the word “integrity” and he is the head of GPS SD.

This is long winded, but, Mindes and the GPS relationship, soccer in San Diego, and your decision for your kid's interest is not uncomplicated. So here we go...

Our son has trained with Mindes for 5 years privately, but Mindes never had his age group. We always said "We will leave wherever we are if you end up coaching his age." Well, he did, and we did. First, we have been through the machine on the second teams at the top clubs. When our son made the decision to go with Mindes, he didn't care that the big club name was not attached to his new team (Matrix), or, that he was leaving what he knew for 20% of his entire life. He just wanted a much higher level, more dedicated, intense experience than what was being offered to him at his last club (Surf), which our son also enjoyed for a couple of years. Whether you feel positively or negatively about GPS, the one thing that can’t be overstated, it is still 100% Mindes, who again, defines integrity, dedication, and culture.

The level of training, attention, and soccer culture our son gets from Mindes is superior to everywhere else we have been. From fitness, nutrition, tactics, speed, & agility, to the emotional and mental requirements critical to the game, our son, along with other kids on the team (some of which who were on the 5th and 6th teams at other clubs), have grown exponentially in the short 9 months they have been together - to the point where they are competing against and defeating flight one and even a couple of national teams. Mindes knows how to identify talent, develop a player and, even more importantly, assure that his philosophy transcends, coaches, players, and parents.

Now, Mindes is NOT for everyone. He is for the hard core soccer player - the kid that wants to live and breathe the sport and culture. If you or your kid don't want to commit to 4 days a week with additional gym days for strength training, this is not the club for you. If you are OK with your kid competing on a diet of Chicken Mcnuggets, Big Macs, and supersized Cokes, this is not the club for you. If your kid plays 10 other sports, this is not the club for you. If you have delusions of grandeur that your kid is the next Messi, this is not the club for you. If you want a club that puts academics, nutrition, and fitness first, teaches our kids to play competitively at the highest levels, truly holds players, parents, and coaches accountable, puts a "real" vested interest in your kid on and off the field, then this is the club for you. There are pathways and opportunities through GPS, but I am not a believer in any of these clubs touting their pathways, because let's face it, out of 330 million people, Christian Pulisic is the only star to rise out of US soccer, and US soccer had absolutely nothing to do with his success.

Take what you will from this, but GPS is an international organization, and, this particular region is blessed by GPS giving Mindes the reigns to build a true soccer culture for the kids that want to live it.

Congrats for finding a quality coach, that's not easy to do, particularly the rare one that develops the "whole" player. Hopefully, he will be successful under the GPS name and can develop a local club that shares his priorities.

Unfortunately, you can't blame others for being skeptical. We've seen plenty of new clubs that have claimed to be different but brought nothing new to the table...just same ol, same ol....time and time again. Some are also skeptical due the prior botched attempt of GPS to establish itself in San Diego. While one of those involved prior was an alleged embezzler (maybe convicted, IDK) and of apparent dubious character, two of the other coaches involved were well respected and successful.

Congrats for finding a quality coach, that's not easy to do, particularly the rare one that develops the "whole" player. Hopefully, he will be successful under the GPS name and can develop a local club that shares his priorities.

Unfortunately, you can't blame others for being skeptical. We've seen plenty of new clubs that have claimed to be different but brought nothing new to the table...just same ol, same ol....time and time again. Some are also skeptical due the prior botched attempt of GPS to establish itself in San Diego. While one of those involved prior was an alleged embezzler (maybe convicted, IDK) and of apparent dubious character, two of the other coaches involved were well respected and successful.

Thank you! I get the skepticism. I am skeptical of every club, established or not, large or small. If a family has been in the system long enough, they will see the good, the bad, and the ugly from the clubs, players, and parents. We have been through it and our son, as well as us as parents, are lucky to have the opportunity to be with Mindes. He is an honest, open book. Call him and talk directly to him. As I said, his philosophy and culture will not be for everyone. Many families and players we know either can’t, or don’t want to commit to the rigid training required, and that is OK. Regardless, it is good to have another truly elite option in North County.

Back