Goalie Needed for Competitive Girls 2007 Team

AP99

BRONZE
Team is in SDDA flight 1 for fall 2017 season. Solid group of U11 girls, positive team personalities, good technical talent, and lots of potential for a successful season. Currently, share goalkeeper position among a few field players, but will be a more complete team with a full time goalie. We practice in Carmel Valley on Tues and Thurs at 4pm-5:30pm. Contact if interested.

I am begging you to continue your practice of sharing the position. Who cares if you win or lose a few because the GK wasn't dedicated (pigeon holed). The major problem with having a girl dedicate herself to the GK position until after her growth has stopped (i.e. 2 years after puberty) is she is denied genuine development opportunities as a field player. I can't tell you how many 5'3" U16 GK's will lose scholarship opportunities because they became a full-time U10 GK, whereas if she would have stayed in the field she would be a great little defender or mid-fielder. Keep the all the girls in the field and rotate. The only caveat here is if the genetic stock of her parents projects the 9/10 year old GK to be 5'10" or more when she hits 13/14.

I appreciate your sentiments about sharing the position and insights about long-term player growth.

Back