Girls Development Academy

Okay let me try to respond in order. First, the girls with accolades will play where the families choose to play which initially likely will not be the DA for many of the committed players. I like that you say that the clubs have committed to putting players somewhere when the families of the players will be making that decision not the clubs. Second, not one of those non-ECNL clubs that you mentioned has a better record of producing national team and/or college players than ANY of the ECNL clubs in SoCal. Regarding where your kid would be that is your judgement as I don't know your kid. Kinda weird that you mentioned riding the pine. I can assure you my player won't be riding the pine this year and I won't get into where but it is a top program. I repeat that the coaches will recruit the players with accolades first and foremost.

Sorry about your experience with Strikers. They seem to have plenty of strong players going to good schools. You mention the 4X USYS national championship Legends club. How many of those titles came prior to the ECNL clubs pulling out of the USYS championships? We all know that the number is a big fat zero. That is the same for Beach and Albion, LA Premier and Galaxy have yet to win a title in the watered down USYS so what does that say about their worthiness? We won't even mention the NWSL teams because they are just complicit beneficiaries of the power grab and aren't expected to have actually done anything.

Say what you want, but the top league will be the DA. All clubs of interest (ECNL or not) are kissing US Soccer ass right now, the ones that got in and the ones that didn't. There are a couple of VERY DESPERATE clubs in SoCal still trying to get in, and they wear the patch.

Take out Blues, Slammers, and Surf, and nobody else in SoCal ECNL contributes to your USYNT argument.

I imagine your daughter as fast, either to get on the end of a long ball up front, or to run everything down in the back. I hope she is on the U20 WC roster along with the other NON-ECNL High School seniors. If not, then this is precisely why US Soccer is wanting to influence development, so a great athlete like your daughter reaches her full potential in the future.

FYI--Legends was winning State National Cups prior to ECNL. Excluding them just eliminated the competition. Beach is a much younger club. Both contributing to the national team programs in a healthy way, and at a better rate than most SoCal ECNL teams.

Say what you want, but the top league will be the DA. All clubs of interest (ECNL or not) are kissing US Soccer ass right now, the ones that got in and the ones that didn't. There are a couple of VERY DESPERATE clubs in SoCal still trying to get in, and they wear the patch.

Take out Blues, Slammers, and Surf, and nobody else in SoCal ECNL contributes to your USYNT argument.

I imagine your daughter as fast, either to get on the end of a long ball up front, or to run everything down in the back. I hope she is on the U20 WC roster along with the other NON-ECNL High School seniors. If not, then this is precisely why US Soccer is wanting to influence development, so a great athlete like your daughter reaches her full potential in the future.

FYI--Legends was winning State National Cups prior to ECNL. Excluding them just eliminated the competition. Beach is a much younger club. Both contributing to the national team programs in a healthy way, and at a better rate than most SoCal ECNL teams.

AMEN, brother.

Winning National Cups is a far cry fom winning a USYS National Championship prior to ECNL. You must go far back with Legends to remember winning National Cups prior to ECNL even though Legends was what 1 year removed from merging GFC with Stampede. Wasn't it a U11 National Cup? Keep posting, because you are slipping.

US Soccer loves to to pick their YNT players from ECNL clubs.http://www.soccerwire.com/blog-post...uce-the-most-u-s-girls-national-team-players/

Last edited:
If not, then this is precisely why US Soccer is wanting to influence development.........

US Soccer is not influencing development, it is capitalizing on it. The same soccer clubs, the same coaches, no curriculum. The only thing US Soccer is doing is creating a new league and throwing 5 million at some DOC's and calling it "development." I believe US Soccer will take all the showcase fees, profits on uniform kits, parking fees, hotel kickbacks, etc. and invest it back into the boys academies. They don't give a crap about women's soccer.

A very pertinent excerpt from an article on the state of woman's soccer.
Time for change

The USWNT is currently operating within a system designed for a previous world: one of tiny talent pools and limited resources. But looking forward, there's reason to be far more optimistic. As the NWSL develops, as more money filters into women's soccer, the old models make less and less sense. We may not quite have reached the tipping point yet, but it's coming.

It would be too much to ask for immediate, wholesale reconfiguration of the system. The economics of women's soccer are still fragile, after all, and rocking the boat too aggressively could conceivably threaten the financial (and competitive) success of the WNT. But in the long-term, change is inevitable. And it's in the interest of everyone involved (from fans to players to officials) to help usher in a new, more modern, more sustainable model for the US women's squad.

http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2016/6/30/11816748/uswnt-elusive-dream

Winning National Cups is a far cry fom winning a USYS National Championship prior to ECNL.
What do you mean? Prior to ECNL, it was THE tournament to win. Winning National Cup from CalSouth meant that you were the best in Southern CA, because it was before ECNL took their ball and ran away.

Or do you mean DA clubs? Because in the future, the YNT players will be developed by DA clubs. From your link provided, here is the club list: Michigan Hawks (DA), Surf (DA), Blues (DA), PDA (DA), Real Colorado (DA), Eagles (DA), FC Stars (DA), TopHat (DA), Colorado Rush (DA)

US Soccer is not influencing development, it is capitalizing on it. The same soccer clubs, the same coaches, no curriculum. The only thing US Soccer is doing is creating a new league and throwing 5 million at some DOC's and calling it "development." I believe US Soccer will take all the showcase fees, profits on uniform kits, parking fees, hotel kickbacks, etc. and invest it back into the boys academies. They don't give a crap about women's soccer.

And did you know that US Soccer is helping create accreditation for a Club Technical Director position that will be licensed, just like a coach A license? I believe that is the first step in creating a unified curriculum for technical development for the DA clubs, and a very positive step in the right direction.

Bottom line this is nothing but a power grab. USWNT really had no say and no way to make money off club soccer. Now they have a way. I'm sure the premium to play in the new leagues will be astronomical. They are changing nothing. Same Coaches. Big wow. Training 4 days a week. Neat. Most teams do anyways. No High School Soccer. Great. Less Games. ECNL was already doing that. We play 1 tournament and like 3 showcases. And the article above talks about the old model being based on tiny talent pools and limited resources. Yet they want to consolidate 2 age groups and make the top teams fewer. 3 teams per club yet there are so many good players especially her in southern California. So top players with be forced to play in so called "B" leagues now. Will the national team coaches be coaching the teams? If so we're out. Most are mediocre at best. But we will still have to pay and even if we don't have to pay there is something in me that just doesn't feel right about the lower level teams paying higher fees so my kid can play for free? That's Straight up Obama Soccer right there. ECNL model was great. Were all the teams in the ECNL great? Of course not. Just like not all the teams in National League are great. Just cause Cali-Klines had a bad experience when his daughter was in Jr High with Strikers doesn't mean the whole league is bad as he makes it sound. That's his fault for taking her to strikers in the first place. But the ECNL did it's job in showcasing the girls and putting them in front of Tons of college coaches. Legends management had to work twice as hard to get their girls seen. Hold 2 of their own College Showcases. Show up to the the Carlsbad piggy back scrimmages where a few coaches would show up. ECNL teams can just show up to a showcase and know there are tons of D1 coaches attending. JH said he would have loved to play in the ECNL. Would have made his job a thousand times easier. He applied every year. If they would have been accepted would you have left the club Caliklines? You make it sound as though the league was the problem and not the club. And by the way, you weren't there for all the Championships. I remember when you got pissy because her club wouldn't release her so she could ride the coat tails of the players who earned the berth.

Please someone who isn't just happy to be part of it because they were kept out of the ECNL sell me on this. I see no positives. What will this do for my daughter who only wants to play college ball. Isn't that the end game for most of the girls currently playing?

I believe that is the first step in creating a unified curriculum for technical development for the DA clubs, and a very positive step in the right direction.

What are you smoking? This position will go to the Head Coach/DOC of the club that has the GDA, just as it is with the BDA.

The BDA has been around for years. Here is what they have on their website for development: http://www.ussoccer.com/coaching-education/resources/2015-player-development-initiatives - Yes, a Birth Year Chart! I believe this should sum up the importance of "development" for everyone interested in US Soccer.

False

She might be fast but she is extremely technical so what of it?

False. Please check your fact on this one.

Your fact check grade is a big PANTS ON FIRE!!!

So you are saying that Eagles, WCFC, Strikers, RSC and Arsenal have no YNT players? That is completely false and you may or may not know that. Please double check the various national team pools.

Regarding my daughter and the U20 WWC, there is only two high school seniors on the U20 WWC team and only one of them actually deserves it. Now what if my player is on the U20 WWC team? Does that change the fact that this is strictly a power grab and half of the DA clubs have done nothing to deserve selection? My daughter may or may not be fast and is not relevant to this conversation. I can say that she has and will continue to play internationally.

Oh and you mentioned Legends State and National Cup titles with has nothing to do with what I said. I will repeat it. All of Legends' 4 USYS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS (not National or State Cup) came AFTER the ECNL teams stopped participating and likely would have never occurred had they continued. Riddle me this, how many Legend's players went to more than one YNT camp. I can only think of Ally Prisock of USC (a wonderful player).

Last edited:
Whatdo you mean? Prior to ECNL, it was THE tournament to win. Winning National Cup from CalSouth meant that you were the best in Southern CA, because it was before ECNL took their ball and ran away.

MakeAPlay posted Legends NEVER won a USYS Championship prior to ECNL, which is FACT. Swoosh or should I say a Legends coach got butthurt and had to post, but we won Nationa Cup. National Cup is NOT a USYS Championship. It's a SoCal Champion and NOT a Regional or National Champion.

WhatOr do you mean DA clubs? Because in the future, the YNT players will be developed by DA clubs. From your link provided, here is the club list: Michigan Hawks (DA), Surf (DA), Blues (DA), PDA (DA), Real Colorado (DA), Eagles (DA), FC Stars (DA), TopHat (DA), Colorado Rush (DA)

Aren't you putting the cart before the horse, GDA doesn't start until Fall of 2017. Actually all of the above are DA/ECNL clubs.

Last edited:
Just so we are clear I hope the DA succeeds. I just think that the intent behind it is less than honorable and the manner in which they went about creating it is classic government backroom deal making BS.

Bottom line this is nothing but a power grab. USWNT really had no say and no way to make money off club soccer. Now they have a way. I'm sure the premium to play in the new leagues will be astronomical. They are changing nothing. Same Coaches. Big wow. Training 4 days a week. Neat. Most teams do anyways. No High School Soccer. Great. Less Games. ECNL was already doing that. We play 1 tournament and like 3 showcases. And the article above talks about the old model being based on tiny talent pools and limited resources. Yet they want to consolidate 2 age groups and make the top teams fewer. 3 teams per club yet there are so many good players especially her in southern California. So top players with be forced to play in so called "B" leagues now. Will the national team coaches be coaching the teams? If so we're out. Most are mediocre at best. But we will still have to pay and even if we don't have to pay there is something in me that just doesn't feel right about the lower level teams paying higher fees so my kid can play for free? That's Straight up Obama Soccer right there. ECNL model was great. Were all the teams in the ECNL great? Of course not. Just like not all the teams in National League are great. Just cause Cali-Klines had a bad experience when his daughter was in Jr High with Strikers doesn't mean the whole league is bad as he makes it sound. That's his fault for taking her to strikers in the first place. But the ECNL did it's job in showcasing the girls and putting them in front of Tons of college coaches. Legends management had to work twice as hard to get their girls seen. Hold 2 of their own College Showcases. Show up to the the Carlsbad piggy back scrimmages where a few coaches would show up. ECNL teams can just show up to a showcase and know there are tons of D1 coaches attending. JH said he would have loved to play in the ECNL. Would have made his job a thousand times easier. He applied every year. If they would have been accepted would you have left the club Caliklines? You make it sound as though the league was the problem and not the club. And by the way, you weren't there for all the Championships. I remember when you got pissy because her club wouldn't release her so she could ride the coat tails of the players who earned the berth.

Please someone who isn't just happy to be part of it because they were kept out of the ECNL sell me on this. I see no positives. What will this do for my daughter who only wants to play college ball. Isn't that the end game for most of the girls currently playing?

You're clueless. No, it is not the end game for most of the girls currently playing. Most are playing for the fun, enjoyment, and competition. For those that are looking further, I have mentioned many times that the ECNL is an acceptable route to the next level. It is however, not the only route. I know many, many families that have been thrilled with their experience at Beach, Galaxy/Carlsbad, Galaxy SB, Albion, and Legends FC.

And if Legends FC had been invited to join the ECNL, we would not have left. Why would I leave a club that works twice as hard, by your own admission, as other clubs? We didn't "take her to join the strikers in the first place". They couldn't develop their own players, so they recruited our entire team to join. Yes, we made the decision to leave Strikers when I was asked by the coach to help recruit outside players to the ECNL team because they didn't know who the impact players were in the age group, but I harbored no ill will. Then I became unhappy when my daughter was denied the opportunity to leave the club when she wanted to leave. That was just wrong, selfish, and short sighted.

You're clueless. No, it is not the end game for most of the girls currently playing. Most are playing for the fun, enjoyment, and competition. For those that are looking further, I have mentioned many times that the ECNL is an acceptable route to the next level. It is however, not the only route. I know many, many families that have been thrilled with their experience at Beach, Galaxy/Carlsbad, Galaxy SB, Albion, and Legends FC.

And if Legends FC had been invited to join the ECNL, we would not have left. Why would I leave a club that works twice as hard, by your own admission, as other clubs? We didn't "take her to join the strikers in the first place". They couldn't develop their own players, so they recruited our entire team to join. Yes, we made the decision to leave Strikers when I was asked by the coach to help recruit outside players to the ECNL team because they didn't know who the impact players were in the age group, but I harbored no ill will. Then I became unhappy when my daughter was denied the opportunity to leave the club when she wanted to leave. That was just wrong, selfish, and short sighted.

It is so funny how you say that ECNL is an "acceptable route" yet you rave about the wonderful experiences at those other clubs. Truth be told, your daughter had one year of ECNL experience at U14 (not a recruting age). To say that Strikers doesn't develop players and only recruits is simply false. I can think of several players that have been developed by them that are impact players. Not to mention that their youngers teams are having lot's of success.

Regarding recruiting players didn't your daughter get "recruited" by Legends from an ECNL team? Don't all of the top teams recruit to fill needs? How many players on your daughter's Legends team were there at U9? I would say leaving a team midseason for no good reason is wrong and shortsighted in my book. Especially if she was captain as you keep repeating.

The bottom line is I think that you are a good person. You did what you thought was best for your daughter and now she is going to NC State, a good academic school that is the cellar dweller in a great soccer conference. Sounds curiously like the Strikers team that your daughter bailed on. What is the difference between them and NC State? You better hope that the coach doesn't get fired though because it could be tough to secure an equivalent offer should he get fired in the next two years.

Good luck to you and yours.

I think ECNL has done a good job and has helped to make great stride for women's soccer. However, they, the affiliate clubs, made a crucial error by not expanding or realigning to include deserving clubs-- in SoCal, most notably Legends and Beach-- who are producing strong teams and players of such quality that they've had some amount of success placing them in college and YNT without the benefit of ECNL. And yes, I have heard, that has been quite a feat-- not just on the level of college exposure, but also in terms of holding onto these players in the first place. It also would've been nice for them to make ECNL more accessible to players based on geography. A player from West L.A. should not have to drive 2 hours up or down the 405 for a good soccer club. Clearly, we don't need 4 ECNL clubs within a 15 or so mile radius in O.C! Instead of madly poaching these clubs (not to mention each other) and creating a hostile environment, ECNL should have been striving for greater unity. But now, by failing to do so, ECNL may have created its own demise. By being a bit more fair and inclusive of worthy clubs, ECNL could have had more power in this huge SoCal market as well as in others, and a unified front, and may have had more to say about the plans of U.S. Soccer.

Now it will be interesting to see how ECNL can rationalize excluding these clubs-- they are good enough for GDA, but not good enough for ECNL?

I think ECNL has done a good job and has helped to make great stride for women's soccer. However, they, the affiliate clubs, made a crucial error by not expanding or realigning to include deserving clubs-- in SoCal, most notably Legends and Beach-- who are producing strong teams and players of such quality that they've had some amount of success placing them in college and YNT without the benefit of ECNL. And yes, I have heard, that has been quite a feat-- not just on the level of college exposure, but also in terms of holding onto these players in the first place. It also would've been nice for them to make ECNL more accessible to players based on geography. A player from West L.A. should not have to drive 2 hours up or down the 405 for a good soccer club. Clearly, we don't need 4 ECNL clubs within a 15 or so mile radius in O.C! Instead of madly poaching these clubs (not to mention each other) and creating a hostile environment, ECNL should have been striving for greater unity. But now, by failing to do so, ECNL may have created its own demise. By being a bit more fair and inclusive of worthy clubs, ECNL could have had more power in this huge SoCal market as well as in others, and a unified front, and may have had more to say about the plans of U.S. Soccer.

Now it will be interesting to see how ECNL can rationalize excluding these clubs-- they are good enough for GDA, but not good enough for ECNL?
Again it's been posted that Legends and Beach never won a USYS Championship prior to ECNL's creation and winning a Championship was one of the requirements for admission. Both clubs grew to where they are today, indirectly because of ECNL. Both clubs won their USYS Championships after the elite clubs were no longer participating. How would they have done vs ECNL competition? Refer to Tophats ECNL Champions League results.

LV Premier was kicked out last season and sure there can be an argument that Strikers should have been kicked out of ECNL for their overall poor club performance too. This would have opened 2 spots in the Southwest Conference and IMO Legends and Beach should have gotten the nod.

With that said, GDA was going to be implemented by US Soccer no matter what! NOT because Legends and Beach were NOT playing ECNL.

Last edited:
MakeAPlay posted Legends NEVER won a USYS Championship prior to ECNL, which is FACT. .
So that means Legends could never win a USYS title if the ECNL teams were included? Is that what you and MAP are alluding too? Well, quess what...you are wrong again. Another outright falsehood. The Legends G99 team won a U13 USYS National Championship against ALL of the teams in the country, even all of the ECNL club U13 teams. Blues. West Coast. Slammers. Eagles. Arsenal. Strikers. RSC. Surf. PDA. Texans. Eclipse, ....and we had to beat the Michigan Hawks in the final to do it. (Weren't the Hawks the team that your article listed as being the #1 supplier of talent to the YNT?) All of those clubs wanted the title, but only one club won it. And what happened next? All of those clubs pulled their best teams into a protected league called the ECNL and then proceeded to downplay the impact and importance of the USYS National Championship by calling it "watered down". I guess if you can't win it, then the next best thing is to try to minimize it in a public soccer forum to sway public opinion.

Aren't you putting the cart before the horse, GDA doesn't start until Fall of 2017. Actually all of the above are DA/ECNL clubs.
You're right. They are all DA clubs, as I mentioned. There is no reason to stop believing that those clubs will continue to produce YNT players, is there? Or are you saying that Slammers, Blues, and the others will no longer produce high quality players in the future?

Last edited:
So that means Legends could never win a USYS title if the ECNL teams were included? Is that what you and MAP are alluding too? Well, quess what...you are wrong again. Another outright falsehood. The Legends G99 team won a U13 USYS National Championship against ALL of the teams in the country, even all of the ECNL club U13 teams. Blues. West Coast. Slammers. Eagles. Arsenal. Strikers. RSC. Surf. PDA. Texans. Eclipse, ....and we had to beat the Michigan Hawks in the final to do it. (Weren't the Hawks the team that your article listed as being the #1 supplier of talent to the YNT?) All of those clubs wanted the title, but only one club won it. And what happened next? All of those clubs pulled their best teams into a protected league called the ECNL and then proceeded to downplay the impact and importance of the USYS National Championship. I guess if you can't win it, then the next best thing is to try to minimize it in a public soccer forum to sway public opinion.
Never won a USYS Championsuip PRIOR to ECNL being formed. The G99 team won after ECNL was formed!
You're right. They are all DA clubs, as I mentioned. There is no reason to stop believing that those clubs will continue to produce YNT players, is there? Or are you saying that Slammers, Blues, and the others will no longer produce high quality players in the future?
WTF, I never posted the clubs would stop producing the YNT players. I know you are being attacked from a lot of posters, but take a deep breath, relax and then post.o_O

Last edited:
Never won a USYS Championsuip PRIOR to ECNL being formed.
What do you mean by this statement? I assume you mean that Legends FC could not win a USYS Championship if the ECNL teams were involved. That is what you are implying, correct? Or are you going to duck out on your meaning? Guess what, they did and they have. And the latest ECNL club to join, TopHat from Georgia, couldn't even get out of pool play in the most recent USYS National Championship.
WTF, I never posted the clubs would stop producing the YNT players. Take a deep breath, relax and then post.
No, but you did post that US Soccer loves to pick YNT from ECNL rosters. Where do you think US Soccer will pick their YNT from in the future? C'mon, spit it out. Even you can spell D-A.

What do you mean by this statement? I assume you mean that Legends FC could not win a USYS Championship if the ECNL teams were involved. That is what you are implying, correct? Or are you going to duck out on your meaning? Guess what, they did and they have. And the latest ECNL club to join, TopHat from Georgia, couldn't even get out of pool play in the most recent USYS National Championship.
No, but you did post that US Soccer loves to pick YNT from ECNL rosters. Where do you think US Soccer will pick their YNT from in the future? C'mon, spit it out. Even you can spell D-A.

Cali you are fooling yourself. The G99 team that won beat exactly who to get there? Was your daughter a part of that team too? How many teams in the Champions League did Tophat have that made it out of pool play? The Southeast Conference in ECNL is notoriously weak and incestuous. Nice example. What happened to Legends the last time that team played Blues or any of the other SoCal ECNL teams? If you want to make this about Legends then please name one repeat YNT player produced by the club other than Ally Prisock. Name one elite player developed by the club other than Ally Prisock. If you want to say Kodi Lavrusky she sat the bench at UCLA until her senior year and that was their worst team ever and I would hardly call her elite.

Back